Have you bought Legendary Skins? And if not, why?

Options
Seiko300
Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
edited September 2020 in Polls

Preface

1. This poll is the first part of a two part connected poll question about Legendary skins and the thoughts and feelings of the community on them. If you have not bought any legendary skins for any reason, I ask you vote on the second part of this poll here:

Legendary skins. People like them in all sorts of games and Dead By Daylight has only just recently with chapter 16 introduced them into the shop, likely with the intention of introducing more and more of them with the hopes the community will start to buy into them and their higher price. But is the community on board? If not, why? What influences your consumer behavior and / or purchase history when it comes to Dead By Daylight.

For the sake of clarity, currently (correct me if I'm wrong) only two skins exist in Dead By Daylight under the Legendary classification. The In the Silent Hill Collection which turns Cheryl into Lisa Garland, and more recently in the Greek Legends Collection which turns The Oni into The Minotaur. Since these are the only currently available legendary skins, these will be what the poll focuses on.

EDIT:

1. Accidentally hit enter and the thread posted rather than adding an extra poll option like I thought I would. If your answer was something along the lines of "I have not purchased any because I feel they aren't up to the quality and / or standard I had expected / hoped them to be" just select "Other..." and mention this as your cited reason in a comment.
  2. Regardless of the answer you pick it would be appreciated if you elaborated on it, if you did buy a legendary skin, explain what you like about it and / or why you decided to buy it.

Have you bought Legendary Skins? And if not, why? 32 votes

I have not bought any of these skins because they are too expensive
18%
Seiko300kaeruAhoyWolfDaFireSquirtleWiktoroxPior_Morte 6 votes
I have not bought any of these skins because i am not interested / invested in those characters
15%
anonymous31337Parallax[Deleted User]Junsuinashredogorgon 5 votes
I have not bought any of these skins because I don't like the fantasy of them
6%
Ghouled_Mojovermilly 2 votes
I have not bought any of these skins because I generally don't / infrequently purchase from the shop
31%
ShrimpTwiggsZerLukasAwkward_FiendSlamitieKage_JihidugmanRepostRiposteScaryCatBeast123344snawg 10 votes
I have bought at least one or more Legendary skins
21%
mintchapstickTaigaSillierHorizon5Scary_Punk_GhostTotemsCleanserSCP_FOR_DBDCalamityJane 7 votes
Other...
6%
Walker_of_the_fog_96ble3kaudio 2 votes

Comments

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

I bought Lisa because she looks like if they just made a character but didn't give them perks. I didn't buy the Minotaur because Oni screams that corners were cut and little effort was made, I mean, why the hell does a minotaur sound like a feudal samurai? And why do they wield a japanese kanobo (I think I spelled that right)? The only thing Lisa re uses is cheryls voice, which I don't have nearly as big a problem with cause they're both at least the same gender. The idea of legendary skins are cool but I could buy either Silent Hill chapter for 7$, which comes with perks and a killer, or I could spend 15$ on a skin. I had a very hard time justifying why I should buy Lisa, but I had no incentive for Oni.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited September 2020
    Options

I'm so sad, I mentioned all these things especially the cut corners in the other thread and then I lost everything. So I regretfully just had to purely post the other polls question without everything else.

But since you brought it up I'll go ahead and say I completely agree with you on the "Cut Corners". Part of what I would have said / posted on the other thread was that there's no visible increase in quality of these Legendary skins and that it seems like only the bare minimum was done to qualify as a "legendary". That bare minimum being "changing the character entirely" so for Cheryl you turn into Lisa, for Oni it's turning into a minotaur. Otherwise, what's to separate these legendary skins from the very rare? Technically speaking they also "change the entire character" maybe not who they are but certainly almost the whole model, take Ice Cold Legacy outfit for Oni for example. His iron plated samurai armor is swapped for Wolfen Fur and Heavy Skulls, his mask is replaced with one completely unique that ends just under the eyes, the hair is visibly changed, and of course he wields a different weapon. This also technically changes the character entirely in a super badass way, and is a whole 5$ cheaper.

At that point that means BHVR is more "interested in selling us the idea of Legendary skins in name and in "rarity" rather than actually legendary quality skins". I mentioned that if you're going to make a legendary skin you need to go a step further, so for a killer much like a survivor, you should change their voice. Instead of hearing the war-cry of a legendary samurai warrior I should be hearing the bestial roar of the Minotaur, I should hear the animalistic breathing of the bull, instead of a Japanese Kanabo I suggested instead he should wield a Labrys (a double edged Axe), which not only is recognizable for a generic minotaur to wield in modern fantasy but also has a certain significance in Minoan Culture and Religion as the symbol was sacred in ancient Crete, the source of the legend of the Minotaur, Theseus, and King Minos. Another cool connection- even the word "Labyrinth" itself some scholars assert came from the word Labrys and thus would imply "house of the double axe"

These characteristics are what would elevate a skin from the premium very rare skins we've seen for the past 4 years, to something of a truly Legendary quality and standard which distinctly marks it as unique from the rest of the options available in the shop.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I have not bought any of these skins because I generally don't / infrequently purchase from the shop

I like some of the Legendary skins, don't get me wrong, but I've never been interested enough in cosmetics to buy them. Not even so much because it costs money but more because I'd rather use cosmetics that I earned somehow by playing, like things I unlocked by completing the Tome and Rift for instance. Wearing things I get from playing the game feels more like a badge of merit than if I just buy it.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793
    Options

Cosmetics are ludicrously overpriced in this game for being glorified color swaps.

Maybe once I build up tens of thousands of shards I'll buy a few but for now I'm fine with default/free rift.

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487
    Options

I only bought Oni because I really dislike the japanese aesthetic but love the greek/minotaur theme. Outside of that I have no desire to spend so much on a skin i can mix and match.

• Walker_of_the_fog_96
    Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Other...

I don't own any legendary skins, but I would be encouraged to buy if there were more skins for other characters like Lisa Garland, instead of creating legendary skins for original characters like Nea.

(in my opinion legendary skins should be used for characters that change people completely)

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Two reasons. Legendary skins are expensive and chained.

Chaining of legenday skins is not always justified. So you can't do something interesting with combinig legendary skins.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

It isn't worth for the price...

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 617
    Options

Silent Hill is my absolute favorite horror franchise and the Heather model is a bit... ehh. The Lisa skin, on the other hand, looks way better (casting aside the fact that she seems to be smiling at all times for no reason), so yeah. I mean even if the Heather model hadn't been so... ehh (literally don't know what adjective to use to express my proper feelings about it lol), I would've still bought the Lisa skin because she's an iconic character in the franchise. I will probably be buying the Cybil skin when it's released, too (I've read that it was confirmed but if it wasn't then dismiss this last part).

If more legendary skins from franchises that I like were to be released, I would probably buy them too. For example I would love a Robin skin for Nancy!