The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The 2nd game in BOTB tourney shows how unbalanced DBD is at top-level play

First of all, I'm gonna ignore the games that were played by otz and ayrun, because the survivors there were clearly not good enough for tournament play. However, the first 2 games, the second in particular, show how unbalanced this game is.

In this game, the end result is a 2k/2 escape. The thing is, the killer was Volga playing as nurse. So immediately we already have a very good player playing the best killer in the game and they can't even manage a 4k against these survivors. Also, the survivors even 3 genned themselves and still managed to get 2 escapes.

The nurse also had to camp and tunnel to even get their 2 kills and managed to get lucky with a 3-gen.

This is why tournaments can NEVER be killer vs survivor and have to be teams of killers and survivors, like in hexy's tournament

Comments

• mostlyghostly
    mostlyghostly Member Posts: 135

I ignored the other games because the survivors weren't playing at top level. My point does not include survivors who aren't playing at the top level

• mostlyghostly

I completely agree. And yet there are $15.000 tournaments being played as we speak

• GeordieKiller
    GeordieKiller Member Posts: 406

while i dont think dbd can ever be a good tourmaent due to the rng nature of the game i take issue how people are dismissing the 1% and saying we cant balance the game around the 1% in fact you can alot of games are balanced around the top players and the 1% because the top players shows more of the balancing issue then anyone else.

take overwatch for example and the introduction to Brigg she literially changed the meta to the the infamous GOAT meta ( 3 tanks and 3 support) before they had to nerf her and introduced the 222 system to try and balance the game so DPS can be used. Also at the current moment they are in the process of balancing Moria as she is heading to the same way as brig was. If it wasnt for the top players players who know how to fully utlise their powers we would never see any balance changes as mid or lower level players wouldnt showcase the balancing issue that those characters cause.

That is how in my opipion balancing should be done balance the top so it trickles down to the bottom then you get a even playing field not balance it around mid level play that goes for any pvp game regardless of competitve or not if it has a ranking system/ mmr, i strongly believe you balance the top end so it trickles down to the bottom to create a fair field for both sides

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited September 2020

Who are you to judge they were not playing top level? Maybe the Nurse in the 2nd game played trash too? Silly argument.

Also: Maybe the killer in those games with the 4Ks were just really good and showed that it is possible to destroy even the best when playing really well?

And finally, what is your point about the 2nd game? That if a strong killer is facing a strong team, it can be a close game?

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Calm down there.

Nurse nerf was argued to be done because god nurse does exist a nurse that you can literally do nothing against cause she will always be right yadayada. How many % of nurse do you think were god nurses at that point? :>

It would be a first, in the history of dbd, survivors are being balanced around top play too.

• mostlyghostly

Well, I think it's quite obvious in the games otzdarva and ayrun played that the survivors were not playing optimally. When I have time, I'll go through the VOD and point out all the mistakes

• mostlyghostly

I am saying that the game is not balanced because the only way a killer can stand a chance at a top level is if the play nurse and camp/tunnel and get a 3 gen along with 3 gen slowdown/stall perks. I think there should be more killers viable

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I don’t see a link to the tournament results anywhere, what specifically were the game by game results for all the games? Specifically in order to actually look at averages:

• What were the individual scores each match
    • How many survivors escaped each match

• GeordieKiller

viable killers are normally Spirit, Nurse, PH, Freddy, Doctor, Oni, Huntress and Hillbilly but yeah the current meta for killers in red ranks and top plays are gen slowdown perks even then its not enough

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Do that. Meanwhile;

What is your point about the 2nd game? That if a strong killer is facing a strong team, it can be a close game?

You refuse to answer the question why you open this thread in the first place. You dont have an answer?

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

Pretty much and with some games that mainly balance around high level play, but then make exceptions i.e. Riot games buffing Irelia who was over performing at high level play but not seen much in low level play, it causes malcontent among a large amount if the player base. Which is why I'm so surprised people are so apprehensive to balancing in that way here.

• mostlyghostly

well, if you are talking at competitive level play, then you can knock out doctor,oni,huntress and hillbilly from that list

• GeordieKiller

huntress, oni and hillbilly i would agree personally i think doc would do very well in competitve as he shuts down loops, able to passively stop survivors on gens once they hit madness 3 and is able to find survivors the fastest espeically if you combine it with whispers the only issue with him would be mobility around the map so he would be more map indepedent but wouldnt be a bad choice for comp

• bangbison
    bangbison Member Posts: 104

At 1% anything can happen. It can please you or annoy you. You never know 100%.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

The survivors are at "TOP LEVEL PLAY" so the games you skidded off with It's and Ayrun were also "TOP LEVEL PLAY" smh

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

The game will never be balanced, for either side. You don’t need a monetized tournament to show that.

There are instances within the game that are either on one side or the other. Maps being one of them.

Also, imagine thinking some of these people are at “top level”... 🙄

• Jukenobi
    Jukenobi Member Posts: 301

Counter strike has always been a competitive game, as well as LOL, and DOTA what are you on about? Dead by Daylight is not a competitive E-Sport game, and it never will be. An equal playing field is required for both sides, not luck, or RNG.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

actually the saloon nurse game showed how tunneling is sometimes necessary to handle certain games: taking out fast the Zarina, eating the ds was essential to get 2k and multiple hooks

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,077
    edited September 2020

why wouldn't you? Tournaments are literally just playing the game and the results speak for themselves. There are few problems though to say its perfect representation. one is that there are some rules that slightly distorted real game from tournament game. For example, Survivors are only allowed to have 1 unique item, only yellow items and your only allowed 2 of same perks on each team for survivor. Also your not allowed to same killer for all games. I feel like killer players will reserve Spirit for the best teams because they know survivors can not pick more than 2 iron wills. I heard Oni got picked and all 4 survivors escaped. Overrated killer. Also notice how there is no billy like some people believe. I wonder if anyone will dare pick clown or some other trash killer and try to pull an upset in like finals or semifinals, that would be super hilarious. then again, DBD is more fun to play than watch so I'd never ever watch it. just skimmed through it.

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

They've always been competitive yes, however dbd is also competitive, hell even fall guys is competitive. Being competitive does not equal esports, those games were not designed to be esports they were designed to be enjoyable games and the esports came later. That's what I'm on about.

When did I claim Dead by daylight was an esport or I even wanted it to be?

Also luck and Rng should be minimal in esports yes however it still exists, take the current season of League of legends for example, its rng which dragon type will affect the map, which can benefit or hinder some team compositions.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I would be 100% in favor of balancing around the top 1% of Killers and Survivors.

• Bingbongbong
    Bingbongbong Member Posts: 202

Wasn't there a bunch of restrictions on perks and add ons, items, survivors, maps and killers?

I understand no ultra rares, keys and moris since those change the game drastically but I don't think this tournament in any way could prove if the game is balanced or not since those games don't really represent actual games with those many restrictions.

• mostlyghostly

The restrictions make the game more balanced, removing perks like OoO. And even so, games are unbalanced

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
    edited September 2020

Dowsey doing a good job but he really needs to stop saying "Best to the best", 'Top, highest level gameplay"

This tournament is a boosted ######### show.

Scummy plays and builds.

Camping and tunneling at it's finest.

EDIT: I don't care about the 15k.

I am a viewer, and this tournament is garbage atm.

• thelittlemonsters
    thelittlemonsters Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2020

I’m only going to discuss the 2k/2e portion of your post.

What you don’t seem to realize is that is exactly what the devs are aiming for. Volga had to tunnel and camp to do it? I take it when the new MMR came out you were one of the many people it didn’t work for.

It worked for me pretty consistently after a couple of games for a few days before it broke. I’ve also seen games where it worked and that is exactly how it goes. Otzdarva posted two matches on YouTube where the new MMR functioned for him. One was a Legion match and it went exactly like that.

For a killer to win they generally need to be able to kill a survivor with two or three generators left. The majority of those games didn’t have a kill until no gens were left, but several people were on death hook. In the games I played and the games I watched where it seemed to be working fine -going off how everyone played, not their ranks- that was the status quo.

So, your argument that it wasn’t balanced doesn’t really mean anything because you picked the match that is a perfect example of what the developers define as balance. Hell, the game looked just like a working new MMR game.

If you didn’t like that then you should bring it up as an argument against the new MMR that’s coming back.

It’s high stress and any small mistake can turn the game into a loss or a win.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited September 2020

I have gotten a few invitations to torments and always decline

whoever thinks this game is suited for competitive play obviously doesn't understand how unbalanced the game is in its current state. The only reason you don't notice it often is because it's uncommon to see survivors playing the game to their best using the best perks and play style. It's to the point where you have to completely rely on the survivors messing up to win/ get more than 1 or 2 kills.

is this game fun and playable against mediocre survivors who are not taking the game as seriously as a E Sports event, absolutely in fact its the only reason being killer is bearable in high ranks. Does this mean dbd is in a good balance state hell no, the devs can add new mechanics such as something to slow the beginning of a game that is NOT a perk and the game would immediately become more balanced for high level play. However they take forever to do anything that big so i doubt this game will be balanced in this year or the next.

• sad_killer_main
    sad_killer_main Member Posts: 785

Well, I really don't need to watch tournaments to know one truth about dbd:

The lower the skill of all players, the higher the chances for the killer to "win".

The higher the skill, the higher the chances for survivors to escape.

As simple as that.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

Even the meta killers can't beat a very good swf doing and using everything to win. the only one who has a chance is nurse and maybe spirit everyone else can be looped or have enough time wasted in a chase that they end up losing to gen rushing. but then we get nerf this killer and that one because i can't last more than 40 seconds in a chase which tbh is how it should be, you should rarely if at all win a 1v1 against the killer because that much time wasted with no benefit spells game over for the killer.