Should cross-progression be linked to the forums?

Options
Seiko300
Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
edited September 2020 in Polls

So right now we've got a (surprisingly) functional crossplay between multiple platforms, that likely I'm sure will continue to be refined and get even better than it already is.

The next thing people are looking toward is Cross-Progression so that they can not only port their progress but also their items, cosmetics, etc. and can essentially play DBD from all different places and will allow widespread movement to and from these different platforms we've already got crossplay enabled for.

So far what I've heard is that for cross-progression to work we need to create new Dead By Daylight accounts that will hold your progression for you to be used on other platforms that you've enabled the cross-progression on.

My suggestion is this: instead of creating a brand new Dead By Daylight site where we all have to create brand new Dead By Daylight accounts, why not just integrate this feature into the very forums themselves? This streamlines everything for the convenience of the playerbase so everything is in the same place. Your Dead By Daylight account will be the same one you use for these forums to post and talk about Dead By Daylight. At the same time the vice versa, people on the forums can view your achievements, hours clocked in, etc. (of course account settings can probably hide this info if you want).

And if not this then the vice versa, roll the forums this website we're on right now, into whatever new site is being created to enable cross-progression.

The alternative is having separate accounts for everything, DBD forums and then your actual DBD account, plus Steam of course if you're on PC- and that all just seems like too much hassle.

Should cross-progression be linked to the forums? 20 votes

Sure, this makes a lot of sense, why not?
35%
Seiko300TaigaRoboMojoMaxwellThePolicePior_MorteBeast123344 7 votes
No, not a fan of this suggestion
60%
BardGibberishTapeKnotDr_Loomisanonymous31337EndstilleChurchofPigDerZuntorSCP_FOR_DBDmusefanRepostRiposteNoOneKnowsNova 12 votes
Other... (explain)
5%
lazerlight 1 vote

Comments

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793
    Options

Yeah no, I'd rather not get banned for hurting someone's feelings over the internet and lose all my progress in one of the grindiest games known to man.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

While I can see the logic behind it, I'm not a very big fan. As other people have mentioned getting banned would have some sort of weird interaction. As well some people simply don't want to be associated with themselves in game (If with options to hide it, people might not be comfortable having to stand out like that). Then theres also the fact these forums are broken enough as is, could you imagine trying to implement actual game data into it?

• Seiko300
    edited September 2020
    Options

This was something I didn't think about, but I think it's something that can be very easily remedied and therefore not a good enough reason to completely be turned off to the idea. Even if it's all the same account all you have to do is make it so that your status on the forums does not reflect your status in terms of the game and vice versa. Just because you're banned or "jailed" or whatever on the forums, doesn't mean the same should be so for the game itself, and if you're banned in the game (maybe mistakenly) you should still be able to access the forums maybe to try and get advice on how to appeal your ban if you believe it wasn't correct.

So for everybody else who has yet to vote for the poll:

I'd ask that you assume for the sake of the poll that this is true and they do find a way to keep your forum status separate from your game status (IE if you're banned or somehow affected on one, you can still use the other with no issue).

Valid points, and I appreciate you taking the time to write a longer more extended post with your thoughts on the idea.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

"Then theres also the fact these forums are broken enough as is, could you imagine trying to implement actual game data into it?"

This comment aged well.

• Seiko300
    Options

Lol I haven't been able to get in for the past 2 days, so maybe.

Although I think my point that they could roll the forums over into the new website also still stands- build from the ground up so to speak.

• lazerlight
    lazerlight Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Other... (explain)

i mean...... i think the forums don't have the power to store that type of information? Plus, there are more players than there are forum users. And seeing as how the forums get a considerable number of maintenance periods or a lot of times bugs out, it could cause serious problems with game progress (I think, lol. I don't know how data transferring works)