Should we have a winning streak mechanic in game?

Options
gelukrait
gelukrait Member Posts: 172
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

Purpose:

• More attractive gameplay
  • Make people hesitate when DC
  • Make benefit in grinding process for right person
  • More respect in game (according bonus effect)

Conditions:

• Killer: 1 winning streak = no one escape (by any mean) in a trial
  • Survivor: 1 winning streak = escape (hatch or gate) a trial
  • The winning streak will reset if above condition is not fulfill or due to rank-reset
  • Count on separated killer but share between all survivors in regard of MMR system
  • No upper limit streak (we want to know and reward top 10 best killers / survivors every month)

Rewards:

• Bonus: 1% BP bonus for each winning streak
  • Effects on killer: add horn, the color of horn becomes slightly darker every streak, change horn's style every 10 streaks and reset the color
  • Effects on survivor: add holy ring, the color of ring becomes slightly brighter every streak, change ring's style every 10 streaks and reset the color

The above stuffs are just my 2 cents, please feel free to adjust. Thanks for reading, and it will be great if dev or mod can join the discussion.

OTHER SUGGESTION:

@Xyvielia :

• Devs will have to add a disqualifier element where anyone bringing a key/mori is not eligible for the reward, either for that trial
  • There would have to be a clear notice broadcast to ALL players so they understand that keys/mori’s will not benefit them in the Winning Streak mechanic

@JawsIsTheNextKiller

• 3 kills is a win for most killer players. The difference between a 3K and a 4K is often whether you choose to slug. That's no fun for either side so I would like to see it discouraged
  • If you are an SWF, it's a loss if you don't get your whole team out

@DetailedDetriment : Survivors escaping through hatch shouldn't effect the killer's streak. The killer's an survivor's streaks should remain the same.

Post edited by gelukrait on

Comments

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,619
    Options

^ this.

People take this game too competitive already, no reason to increase that. Would also not really be possibe due to RNG or Teammates. If you get 3 Potato Teammates, you lose your streak, except when you hide all game and go for the Key Escape.

And as Killer, you might lose your streak because you get a bad Map for the Killer you are playing (e.g. Nurse on Midwich or Hawkins).

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    edited September 2020
    Options

I like the idea. It adds a new fun element, an the rewards are cool.

I personally don’t play too extremely hard or competitively, nevertheless I think players will enjoy trying to stay on top of the leaderboards, an I’d even be willing to give it a shot.

Devs will have to add a disqualifier element where anyone bringing a key/mori is not eligible for the reward, either for that trial, or to the effect that bringing the key/mori automatically removes them from the leaderboard until they start over at the bottom w/o the key/mori.

There would have to be a clear notice broadcast to ALL players so they understand that keys/mori’s will not benefit them in the Winning Streak mechanic.

This could actually cause keys/mori to appear less frequently.

Keep in mind tho, that everyone has their own playstyle. Some ppl like competition, some don’t. Some people prefer pepperoni on their pizza, some hate pepperoni an only want mushrooms, etc.

The devs will never be able to please everyone.

If they didn’t implement new features into the game because they are fearful of offending certain players, then there wouldn’t be a game at all.

Jus a thought.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

I love the idea but I would make a couple of modifications:

• 3 kills is a win for most killer players. The difference between a 3K and a 4K is often whether you choose to slug. That's no fun for either side so I would like to see it discouraged.
    • If you are an SWF, it's a loss if you don't get your whole team out.

I'd also like the idea that long streaks will be advertised to the opposing side in the lobby, then the opposing player will be more likely to see stronger builds to end their run. And possibly a bonus for the player that ends someone's run!

• gelukrait
    edited September 2020
    Options

Thank bros for your contribution.

I will add / update any positive idea on the OP from now on.

@Xyvielia I think if using key or mori, the win streak will no be counted is enough, it's too strict if it resets win-streak (ofc they still able to lose the win-streak based on match result)

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

No worries, it’s a really good idea an I hope it gets some of the devs attention.

...not everyone in these forums are bros tho, some of us are broettes 😄 jus sayin’

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2020
    Options

The Game already favors winning over losing (thats why its just a matter of time to reach red ranks).

You can only lose a max of 1 PiP

You dont lose or gain any PiP

You gain 1 PiP

You gain 2 PiP

+ its already frustrating enough being forced to play Games you cant win (tryhard swf ending games in 3-4min) imagine the frustration by losing your winstreak when you never had a chance to defend it... hell no ^^

• JimPickens666
    JimPickens666 Member Posts: 326
    Options

I think part of the reason survivors are so toxic is that its so easy to escape and when you dont it feels like BS. If you gave a physical thing to take away it would only get more toxic.

Also wouldn't stop DCs they would increase them since a DC to sabotage the killers win streak, even if they started counting it as a kill (really they should do that anyway) they would still DC to try and give hatch, would be super easy to do with the new offerings. People DO do it with the new offerings.

And even if you just dont count hatch escapes it would still only take one Mori to ruin a survivor run, or one bad match against a sweaty SWF to end killers. At BEST it would encourage gens to pop even faster and killers to tunnel off hook

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

So in order for a killer to "win", he must kill all 4 survivors, but in order for a survivor to "win", he must survive himself regardless of what happens to the other team mates?

How is this fair in any way? It's unfair for the killer and unfair for the other survivors too

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

No. That would imply that you can actually win without luck, or a full tryhard party. The idea reminds me of KDR in GTA Online: it isn't that kind of game, don't put it in and tell people they are rubbish because they don't have a high one when having a high one isn't actually possible without extreme luck.

DBD isn't actually competitive. Competitive elements have no real place, not without making people feel bad about themselves for no good reason, and making them mad at others for very good reasons that nonetheless do not merit the level of response they get.

If I see somebody with a high winstreak, I don't think they are a good player. Not in DBD, there's too many unaccountable variables.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    edited September 2020
    Options

Are you familiar with the streamer Fungoose losing his 115 game 4K winstreak as Plague? Imagine seeing that come up in a lobby as survivor and actually being in the team that defeated him.

• MadLordJack
    Options

Why would I care? It isn't exactly that impressive either way. It just seems like it should be because in other, more fair and competitive titles, it is. DBD isn't one of those. That's like saying you have extreme skill for winning $2 from a scratchie.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

I hate how people consider 4ks as wins and only then. 3ks are enough to win, and sometimes I'll stomp a game so hard I want to give the one survivor who played well an escape..

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    Options

Survivors escaping through hatch shouldn't effect the killer's streak.

• gelukrait
    Options

Add your suggestion to OP.

So in this case, the win-streak of killer should stay the same (not increase), is that what you mean?

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

Sounds like it would be too easy for survivor and too hard to killer. Also if people could see "this player is on a 30+ winning streak" they will likey assume they are really good and lobby dodge. Evolve had that problem.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    edited September 2020
    Options

The killer's and survivor's streaks should remain the same.

The killer won but didn't 4k.

The survs lost but one person still escaped.

Post edited by DetailedDetriment on
  • gelukrait
    edited September 2020
    Options

I think the opposite, the killer might want to face the high winning streak in order to break it. In case you right, dev can make effect only exist during match.

About the fairness, do you have any idea to adjust?

Updated your suggestion on OP, but I think escape by hatch still deserve a win (in case you play solo with a very bad team).

• redsopine00
    redsopine00 Member Posts: 905
    Options

Make it so if a killer deliberately facecamps a halo survivor just to reset a streak the survivors streak instead goes up and the killers gets reset that way no deliberate camping (i.e have it known a slugged survivor nearby and being searched for say like 30 seconds searching before it negates for camping area?)

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

No. for the reasons mentioned.

The things that brings the highest amount of douchebag playing into the game is that people see it as hyper-competitive, winning at any price. if you reward them for being utter scum, you will only eff over the community.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    Options

This would work but terribly unless killers is 3k because slugging for the 4k would go way up in prevalence if they are forced to do that if they want a win streak.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

It's a cool idea, but I don't think there should be an incentive to be a try-hard other than the specific player's want to be the best. Having the streak being recorded and visible to the player would be cool, but it should not have any special rewards or visual effects.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

I think this is a bad idea. It's just another PP-Measuring contest. The idea of a win-streak just doesn't fit in a game like dbd and would just create more toxicity.

• gelukrait
    edited September 2020
    Options

I think facecamp & tunneling is general problem, which affect any gameplay in this game. If we hesitate to make a new thing because of a general thing, we will never evolve.

I still think about some positive stuffs if you are focused and camped by a killer:

• Your team will have an easy win with gen-rush
    • The killer either losing win-streak due to gen-rush
    • You better play more careful to avoid potential face-camp, which change the feeling of gameplay
    • Once your team recognized your halo, then they tend to protect you as much as possible

Nice suggestion, but I think it will make the rules more complex and hard to implement (many scenarios), some perks are also introduced to reduce these general problems

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options
  • batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879
    Options

Before all that we need to know what is a win and what is a lose.

Because for me survivor need to escape if they want to win and killer need to kill if they want to win. For a lot of people its pipping that determine a win but honestly dying every match and pipping dont feel like a win and its the same for killer

• EvilJoshy
    edited September 2020
    Options

I beg to differ. I think majority of people will see that wining streak and assume it won't be fun for them. Then they will dc or lobby dodge. Like I said, Evolve had this problem. I've seen it in other games and considering how toxic this community is, I wouldn't put it past them. We got people in this game that suicide on the first hook and defend their decision to screw over 3 other people because they don't like facing a particular killer.

In my opinion, my generation wanted a challenge when playing a game. Today's generation feels they can only have fun if they are winning.

• EvilJoshy
    edited September 2020
    Options

I believe it failed because of the excessive monetization at launch. Evolve Stage 2 was a better game and should have been what was first launched but it still had issues with balance. Mainly if 1 hunter was downed it was a domino affect from there. It was a game where you never wanted to play with randoms. You either had a group or you played as the monster. My favorite complaint was instead of making all the various monsters viable. They took the easy route and made them all more like Goliath because he was balanced. Evolve was a well oiled machine with several moving parts and if one was jammed the whole thing seized up.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,096
    edited September 2020
    Options

I just had a killer slug all 4 survivors with knockout for a 4k. Technically he'd "win" from 0 survivors escaping. I'd rather not encourage that type of gameplay.

• EvilJoshy
    Options

The difference is in Evolve the 4 had to actually fight the 1. As a result that required the monster to actually be powerful. Going up against the monster alone was suicide and that was the point. You had to work together to overcome a greater adversary. DBD was not designed that way. It was built not on the intention of combat but by escaping. Although team work is required in dbd it is not as important as it was in Evolve. Even if you never see another survivor you can work together by doing gens or cleansing totems. Even if your side isn't working together you can still escape through the hatch. In Evolve you either stayed with the team at all times or you got eaten by a carnivorous plant. Also Evolve didn't have a lot of hunter mains whining for BS buffs because they believed 1 person should be able to go against the monster and win.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Pre / post game stats displaying stats from previous games.

• MadLordJack
    Options

No, that isn't true at all. Competitive implies competition worthy. As every tournament so far has proven, that is not the case. And as the Devs have constantly shouted form the rooftops, DbD is a causal game.

PVP ≠ Competitive. It never has.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

It sounds good at first but its kind of pointless for solo survivor because your ability to win depends on other people, and for killers its just more reason to run the meta (hard tunneling NOED spirit etc)