The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Guns for Survivors

One of the things that I have wanted for a while is new items for survivors. Radios, foods, drugs, anything that the survivors can use to get a slight advantage. The most obvious choice I could think off was guns. They are a staple in horror movies, often doing almost nothing to the killer, but still helping the characters in some way.

For the sake of consistency, every gun is a revolver. If they wanted to make different types they could, but BHVR likes reusing models, so they could just change the textures of the guns as an easy way to tell them apart. Or they could all just be the same model, I'm not picky.

Firearms: Guns found in the realms that can be used to fight back against the beasts trying to kill you. 

Aiming:

When holding a gun, you can press M2 to aim the gun (like a flashlight). Aiming takes 1 second before you can fire. When aiming with a gun, the survivors movement speed is slowed to 1.5 m/s, or 37.5% speed. When aiming, the screen will be zoomed in by 25%.

Shooting:

When aiming, pressing M1 will make the survivor shoot the gun. Shooting the gun costs 1 charge. When fired, a bullet will travel out of the gun at 60 m/s. After firing, there will be a .75 second delay before the survivor can shoot again.

Hitting the killer:

If you hit a killer, that killer will be slowed by 5% for 3 seconds. Any consecutive shots before the time has run out will just add 3 more seconds. If shot with a round that has an increased slow on the killer is then shot, it will add the normal amount of time, and change the slow down to the new speed for the rest of the duration.

Rusted revolver (Uncommon): An old revolver, rusted but still working. Has a couple shots.

• Has 2 charges.
  • Can be aimed and shot.
  • Creates a loud noise notification when shot.
  • Moderately (.25 second) increases recovery duration between shots.
  • Slightly (10%) decreases zoom. 

Snub Nose revolver (Rare): A short revolver, easy to maneuver from the pocket. Can’t shoot far.

• Has 3 charges.
  • Can be aimed and shot.
  • Moderately (-.15 second) decreases draw time.
  • Has a set max range 20 meters.
  • Slightly (.1 second) increases recovery duration between shots.

Revolver (Rare): A simple, double action revolver. Has a few rounds left in it.

• Has 3 charges.
  • Can be aimed and shot.

Well-oiled revolver (Very Rare): Taken care of, this revolver works like a charm.

• Has 3 charges.
  • Can be aimed and shot.
  • Slightly (-0.04 m/s or 1%) increases the slow-down against the killer.
  • Shooting the killer while they are carrying a survivor will add 5% of that survivor's wiggle bar per shot. 

Ornate revolver (Ultra Rare): A revolver covered in beautiful, intricate markings. It comes half loaded. 

• Has 3 charges:
  • Can be aimed and shot.
  • Slightly (-.1 second) decreases draw time.
  • Slightly (10%) increases zoom.
  • Slightly (-.1 second) increases recovery duration between shots.
  • After hitting the killer, the killer’s aura is shown for 5 seconds to all survivors within 16 meters.

Addons:

Common

Wrench Holder: While intended for a tool, it can be used to hold the gun on your side.

• Slightly (+.3 m/s) increases movement speed while aiming down sights.
  • Does not stack

Glow sights: Simple stickers placed on the sights of the gun that glow. Makes it easier to connect the dots.

• Slightly (10%) increases zoom when aiming down sights.

Tape: Tape wrapped around the handle of the revolver to get a better grip.

• Slightly (-.1 second) decreases draw time. 

Uncommon

Spare bullet: A single round, found on the ground just next to the campfire.

• Adds 1 charge.

Reflex sights: Sights that can be equipped to the top of the gun. Helps with aiming.

• Moderately (15%) increases zoom when aiming down sights.

Worn holster: Black leather holster, covered in grime and dirt. Works great to hold the gun in place.

• Moderately (+.5 m/s) increases movement speed when aiming down sights.
  • Does not stack

Strong bullets: Replaces the bullets in the revolver for a stronger round.

• Slightly (-0.04 m/s or 1%) increases the slowdown for the killer when shot.
  • Does not stack.

Sand paper: Can be used to make the handle of the gun smoother and less clunky.

• Moderately (-.15 seconds) decreases draw time.

Rare

Black bullets: Replaces the bullets with custom made black powder cartridges. 

• Moderately (-0.08 m/s or 2%) increases the slowdown for the killer when shot.
  • Does not stack.

Comfort grip: A grip that replaces the revolver's old one. Much less awkward to hold.

• Considerably (-.25 seconds) decreases draw time. 

Red Dot Sight: A sight with a red dot in the middle, clearly marking your target.

• Considerably (20%) increases zoom when aiming down sights.

Holster: A standard, deep brown leather holster. It makes putting away your gun much simpler.

• Considerably (+.7 m/s) increases movement speed when aiming down sights.
  • Does not stack

Very Rare

Bullet box: Box told to hold 50 rounds of ammo on the front. Only has 2 left.

• Adds 2 charges.

Hollow point bullets: Replaces the bullets with hollow points, which separates and dives into flesh it is shot into. 

• Considerably (-0.12 m/s or 3%) increases the slowdown for the killer when shot.
  • Does not stack.

Thermal scope: A special scope that allows the user to see living things based on temperature.

• When aiming down sights, if the killer is within 12 meters of you and within a 45 degree in front of where you're aiming, their aura will be revealed to you. 

Hidden holster: A holster made for concealed carry. Awkward to use, but worth the risk.

• Slightly (+.3 m/s) increases movement speed when aiming down sights.
  • Slightly (+.1 second) increases draw time.
  • When not aiming, you will have nothing in your hands.

Ultra Rare

Incendiary rounds: A special type of round that causes burns and fire. Bright and loud.

• If you shoot the killer in the eyes, they will be blinded for 3 seconds. This will not make them drop a survivor while carrying them.

Silencer: Screwed onto the end of the revolver, it makes the sound made when shot much less.

• Reduces the range at which the killer can see the loud noise notification to 4 meters.
  • Replaces the sound when shot with a different, much softer sound. 

This was just an idea, so the numbers and values may not exactly be balanced. Having a gun in the game might not even be balanced. But I wanted to make a new item, and I did. If you have any suggestions or ideas, comment.

Also, if this is a repeat or something, I apologize. I posted it a dozen minutes ago and came back to find it gone. But I also didn't even see it in the general discussion pool. I'm trying that workaround thing that is pinned and I hope it works.

Comments

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
    edited September 2020

Imagine 4 survivors hitting killer at the exit gates.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited September 2020

I'm just picturing 2 survivors blasting away at the killer.

Trapper: "Heh heh, ur loud boommaker tickles."

3rd Survivor: "Hold on, I got this..."

*whips out a Flashlight, turns it on*

Trapper: "AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAH SCARY WHITE LIGHT MAKES TRAPPER POO HIS PANTS!!!!!" " *throws the 4th survivor in the air, runs screaming into a wall, knocks himself out*

Post edited by UMCorian on
  • HappyFace
    HappyFace Member Posts: 26

Thanks! Both of you. I spent some time on this, and while it is not a perfect idea by any means, the only way to make new things is to put them out there. Plus, making new things for the games I love is always a fun thing to do.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531

LOL!

Now I feel like this needs to happen as an event now. Maybe Ash vs. The Evil Dead themed one... where 4 players play killer and attempt to use their powers to escape or fight Ash in his final form, dual-wielding Chainsaws.

• musefan
    musefan Member Posts: 345

Indeed it is impressive, and I felt bad posting, but it would just ruin what we have to add guns.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I'm also on the "let's NOT give the survivors guns" bandwagon, but appreciate the thought you've put into this idea nevertheless.

I think a better path for this kind of concept to take would be by making the Firecracker event item into a standard fixture of the game and expanding it to include its own item tree with add-ons.

This could be done by changing the individual party poppers (that are spent on use) into boxes of the things with a set amount of charges (allowing the box to be depleted without destroying the item).

I think these would be a nicer fit for "fighting the Entity" and whatnot. Heck, they could even make one of the rarer versions of the Firecracker into a literal flashbang grenade (if it worked for Alan Wake, it'd probably work here).

• Leovanni
    Leovanni Member Posts: 52

Maybe a tad OP for SWF groups. You could run by each other and start firing to help each other get away.

But it would be really funny shooting killers in the face.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

While I'm not necessarily a big fan of guns, this was made in a way that I would really like. Nice Job mate.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,127

Whilst in the game's current state I'd say no, actually having guns available may make the game more intense. My reasoning for this is that by adding guns then Killers probably also get buffs. Maybe the guns could be stronger, but Killer speed is increased, or some other mechanism is put in place to make them more threatening. Not sure what though.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

i know Not Queen and the devs threw this idea out. IMO, that’s just laziness. We need a new item, not event items made standard

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Lolz Wow, this is great!

Totally thought you were being facetious when I first started reading your post what with the guns an drugs an all!

Drugs!? Lol 😄 No Drugs!!! omgz

You’ve most likely sharpened the blades of the majority of killer mains out there, as I’m sure they’ll want to cut into you for this one.

You put so much effort into this idea, an it’s absolutely awesome!

Probably never going to see the light of day in DBD, but it’s SO worth a nod from the devs for the amount of creativity you gave it.

Looking from both sides, I’d have FUN (something that’s been long since forgotten due to the unfortunate competitive induced toxicity of this game), Lots of Fun, using this on killer’s and having it used on myself as a killer!

Wish you were a dev an made this weaponry a actual thing in DBD.

I’d like to think the entity is confident enough to know her killers will complete the task at hand, no matter what, while at the same time, thoughtful enough to give the survivors a little less passivity, provided in the form of a couple shots to the dome of a seemingly unstoppable force constantly coming after them.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    edited September 2020

I appreciate the effort put into this but I don't think it is a great fit. I think if ANYONE should have access to a gun it would be Ash, i.e. his double-barrel shotgun. Make it an Ultra Rare (BOOM STICK) and if taken he starts with two shots loaded. They can stun a Killer like a DS. Then make another Rare item or Ultra rare that give him two more rounds (RELOAD). But then again, I also think an add-on for him could be his chainsaw replacing the puppet that can also, at best, have a short bit of fuel and can stun a Killer or affect the breakable walls.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I'm more talking about making a new item tree out of these event items. The Firecrackers are fun and could be used as the basis for developing a new item tree with new add-ons just for these items.