Am I toxic for slugging survivors and never hooking?

Options

Comments

• cannonballB
    cannonballB Member Posts: 387
    Options

I do not think you're responsible for anyone elses fun.

That being said, I do think it should be (but not is, if people here are right) a reportable offense. It's bad sportsmanship, especially if you're leaving them on the ground to bleed out.

But because it's allowed currently by the devs, I don't see a problem with it.

Also, I don't see an issue if you knock them all down and then hook them - my stance is strictly on slugging and letting bleed out.

• UnholyMagpye
    UnholyMagpye Member Posts: 9
    Options

At least on the hook I can try to escape or just kill myself and get to the next (hopefully fun) game. That's much more preferable compared to a 4 minute floor simulator.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I personally don't see it as a problem but a lot of people do. That said don't stop slugging alltogether as it is the most powerfull pressure tool.

What you generally want to do is when you start slugging is to hook a survivor while another is on the floor. That way you'll have the effeciency of slugging and the bloodpoints and emblems to boot.

In short. You found the winning strategy you just need to keep the emblems in mind too if you want a ton of bp and rank

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,119
    Options

Unbreakable was implimented since this situation became more prominent due to permanent breakable hooks and sabo squads.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,231
    Options

FFS if you're gonna have a playstyle like that you should at least change ruin and haunted ground to knockout and third seal

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208
    Options
  • Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

I think it depends on how it goes. I've had some matches against low mobility killers who wanted to slug, and it went the way you're describing. We just kept picking up the slugs, and it was kind of tedious, especially if the killer had Knockout, but the game was basically normal outside of that.

But I also had a game against a Hillbilly on an open map, and he just zipped around and downed three people in the first 30 seconds. After that, it was a stupid, boring, protracted sequence where the fourth person would try to pick someone up, and then the chainsaw would come back and one of them would go down. Then the person who was still up would hide for a long time, then try to pick someone up, and the chainsaw would come back and one of them would go down. Just, over and over, until he had all four.

So, most of the game was not getting to do anything and just waiting to bleed out while somebody else played hide and seek, and it really wasn't fun.

• WhatUpWithThat
    WhatUpWithThat Member Posts: 6
    Options

Slugging is probably the most toxic ######### in the game. You knew that before you wrote this. Wanna cheese the game?, Go play Destiny.

It's not the killers responsibility to make the match fun, however, it is the killers responsibility to play the game appropriately.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

I disagree. I think that, when five people agree to play a friendly game together -- meaning, a game that's not a professional sport or an organized competition -- the most important thing is that they all have a good time. So, if you play in a way that makes it miserable for everyone else because you're more concerned with winning than with the social interaction you're having with the other players, I think you've missed the point.

• Cable2486
    Cable2486 Member Posts: 249
    Options

That's LITERALLY what OP is saying they're doing. Slugging all and forcing them to wait while they slug everyone else to start hooking. Even as a killer main who only plays survivor with a friend, I find it extremely obnoxious.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

That is not hostage holding. Hostage holding has a specific definition that requires it so a player is stuck in the game indefinitely. An example would be a Killer bodyblocking the last Survivor in a corner while the EGC hasn't started. Slugging is not hostage holding because the slugged Survivor will die and leave the game after four minutes.

• burt0r
    Options

Calling hacking, stabbing, sawing or sludging people and putting them on meat hooks social interaction made me laugh XD

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I disagree (to a point). If a player finds it most fun when they are trying their best/hardest to win, then I don't see that as a reason to accuse them of "missing the point." Obviously, a line needs to be drawn at some point where it crosses over into "being a jerk" territory, but I wouldn't call simply "being more concerned with winning" that line.

• burt0r
    Options

Dying state is a time limited state thanks to the bleed out mechanic which means your game lasts maximum 4 minutes. Even if this situation is boring for both sides it has a fixed end for the trial and is thereby no real hostage situation without end in sight.

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563
    Options

If you're eventually going to hook them just slugging them down is a bit annoying but not really toxic, but just letting them bleed out you're just being a jerk not toxic but jerk move.

• lotusghoul
    lotusghoul Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020
    Options

kinda toxic yeah.

wondering what rank you could even get to playing like that, i imagine you're probably missing out on a lot of blood points and emblems.

it doesn't really seem worth it to play in that way, idk.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904
    Options

I get the point you are making its a game its meant to be fun. But there is no agreement between parties that the game is friendly. Unless you are playing with you friends in a KYF custom then sadly you are playing with random people on the internet. Some of these people will be the kind of folk no-one would play with at anytime, we all know at least one person you don't want at game night. Those people are in abundance online. That said...

Some people might play to win, some might play to muck about, some might not care, some might care more than others. Any real pre-game agreement between parties is imagined. You place importance on everyone having a good time, that's great but its a competitive game some people play to win it.

Yes there are behaviours that are more obnoxious than others, but if the play is within the confines of the game rules (without abusing flawed mechanics) then its fair game.

The takeaway point here is that you can play the game anyway you like within the confines of the rules and you should expect people to play the game any way they like, because it's highly unlikely that everyone will play the game in the same manner that you choose to.

Getting upset at the game and crying toxic because of slugging is just silly, same as if you got flashlight blinded multiple times, or tunneled, or camped, or seriously looped, or 'Gen rushed', or body blocked on your way to the hook, or keyed out or 1 hook mori'd. All these things are in the game and you should expect them to happen.

I'm not saying people should do them but neither am I telling people that they shouldn't, I play in a way that I enjoy and hopefully isn't too obnoxious for the other players, but I'm not overly concerned about whether or not they find it "fun" because their definition of fun may be completely different from mine.

The main goal is if you understand how this game can be played and have realistic expectation of what can and might happen, then often you are more pleasantly surprised than annoyed at how things play out, at least I generally am.

Hence my statement that you are not responsible for anyone's fun and neither are they responsible for yours.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

Regularly slugging not slugging everyone at once and going for 4 hooks.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

A strong team might not give a killer a choice.

Theoretical scenario: killer only manages their very first down after 3 gens have already been repaired, and is really feeling the pressure. They notice new scratchmarks and immediately investigate. It’s someone hoping to flashlight save. Killer downs them. Returns to first slug but catches someone else trying to revive them. Killer reaches them before the dying survivor can get on their feet, chases the survivor attempting to heal, downs them. Killer again tries to return to the first downed survivor but then notices the fourth survivor doing a desperate run to the survivor downed with the flashlight. Again killer chases to intervene, because the last thing the killer wants is the flashlight holder revived with other slugs to hook. Killer managed to successfully down 4th survivor before they’ve managed to help anyone up.

Sometimes the killer is not being in anyway toxic. Sometimes the game plays out in such a way where new chase opportunities present themselves in quick succession to a killer sensibly paying attention to environmental queues. Opportunities that would be foolish to ignore.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

Who knows the devs won’t give us a clear win condition. For all we know bleeding four timers could be that win condition for someone. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

Well it's obviously toxic. This behavior damages the playerbase over time which is as solid evidence for toxicity as you're going to get.

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

Just because the game lets you do it doesn't mean it's not toxic. For example when a survivor sits and teabags at the exit or spams noise notifications for as long as possible. This stuff is allowed but still harmful to the experience, especially if done repeatedly.

• HDivineShadow
    HDivineShadow Member Posts: 13
    Options

Why would that be toxic? It sounds like a legit strategy to me. I've come across a couple killers that seem to do just what you described.

The way I look at it, the killer can do whatever they want to get their job done. I normally play as a survivor and I like it when a killer does something unexpected, use a strategy I haven't seen before, etc. It keeps the game fresh.

You changed your strategy based on what you experienced survivors doing. That's perfect. It is exactly what you should be doing. Now it is up to the survivors to adapt to your new strategy. If they want to call you toxic, it's just their admittance to being unwilling or unable to adapt.

If the survivors or killers cannot adapt to each other, then that is a game balance issue for the developers to resolve. But unless using a cheat, exploit or just throwing the match, there is no such thing as, "you didn't behave how I wanted you to behave so you are toxic."

• DARKBOI777
    DARKBOI777 Member Posts: 21
    Options

If this was almost any normal game I would say alittle mean to make someone sit there but to be honest dbd has one of the most toxic if not the most toxic community I've ever seen so as I tell most people that pick this game up play how you want how you like cause you think the next survivor wil not teabag or hit you with a gg ez or some other bs I'd like to have faith in this community but I've been attacked so much for playing a game it's easy how entitled dbd players are so do you G don't care about how other people feel toward fun in the game cause not to be mean 99.9% of the time they won't care for yours ( to be clear this is just my experiences)

• piggypablo
    piggypablo Member Posts: 102
    Options

No, that sounds like a good strategy, thanks for sharing!

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

It would be called toxic because it harms the playerbase. See my earlier comment for examples.

• pseudechis
    Options

Yeah those are examples of obnoxious behaviour and add nothing to the gameplay experience. But slugging has a place in game play its about applying pressure, if you slug all 4 then stand there for 3 mins, then yeah you are now doing a kind of killer equivalent of "teabagging" at the gate. But if you slug three and chase a 4th to down them too is it really 'toxic', now we are in a grey area. There is a false equivalency here between to two activities.

One could also say that taunting a killer at a pallet/window etc leads to tilt and can result in bad plays. I don't do this and it doesn't affect me if others do, its a "hey you do you", kind of thing. Its obnoxious but I'm not gonna get upset about it. The window noise notification can be annoying but I just turn my sound down a bit, besides they are basically applying free pressure to themselves by not doing anything productive why would I run over to stop that, its a gift.

If I'm a survivor and I'm slugged, I move away to hide, recover to maxed and hope for a revive, if everyone else is getting slugged and its not looking good the bleed out timer runs and I die, then I just shrug and queue for another game. Well done killer for getting everybody down before anyone could get picked up. Its not inherently toxic, its not the most interactive game but seriously is three minutes of waiting that detrimental to your fun that its game ruining?

I think people often apply malicious intent to any behaviour because its easier to cope with loss when there is a nemesis to blame for it. We all do it. 9 times out of 10 its just people playing the game, its often not worth getting upset about.

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

Okay but maybe adress my point. This behavior will lead to players quitting and is therefore toxic by definition. I didn't say anything about how you're a bad person for spamming noise or letting everyone sit on the ground, I'm just letting you all know the definition and that your little head canon can't change it.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,236
    Options

being a 4v1 game it never friendly game survivor go out of they way bully the killer.

so yea no one agree to play a friendly game together(maybe the 4 survivors who are swf) make sure they have fun but most survivor don't care if the killer has fun,so why should the killer care if the survivors have fun?

• SL33PY
    SL33PY Member Posts: 71
    Options

Truth is there are builds people use that that mainly focus on trying to slug everyone and win the match as fast as possible. Your perfectly fine don’t listen to the hater survivors most of them are 10x more toxic than this. you should be running better perks for what your trying to do. The plague perk that makes people scream nearby when you knock someone and the that makes survivors not able to see each other when they are down are very necessary. Trust me most survivors are salty no matter what you do as a killer if they die. I’d even recommend noed If your not running a one shot killer. I play more survivor than killer but don’t have a preference and it’s not something you can be banned for at all. Your not holding the game hostage your trying to knock them all and then sacrifice. Also rank is basically 100 percent meaningless in this game.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709
    Options

Slugging is a strong tool in your box, but you shouldn't rely on it solely. You are missing out on a large part of your own goals, keep in mind that the more you hook the more blood points you earn in the sacrifice category and emblems attached to it. I am also pretty new to the game, but not all these perks are horrible to deal with. Try to go for hook swaps over tunneling the same guy down will avoid many of the issues with the perks, if you down someone that just came off a hook you can still slug them for a minute if you want to avoid DS (also a single time use). Don't get me wrong, if people hand you 4 downs in a row next to each other, I wouldn't say no... look at the overall situation and figure out what is better for you to do in regards to gen pressure and all that.

Winning and losing are general terms really, consider what you want to get out of it. A 2k and a 4k can award you nearly the same, based on how you went on about it and what you managed to achieve. 4 slug into 1 hooks most likely won't earn you as much or rank you up consistently. Also, be willing to take a 1k or 0k at times... it is a game, sometimes people crush you.

Don't worry to much about the survivors that go like, but our fun... because as some already pointed out, we will just wait for a SWF to teach you a lesson... regardless of your playstyle; they don't care about your fun and their enjoyment isn't much of your concern either. Yet if you want to be good as a killer I do think you need to be able to adjust to the situation and learn to make the correct judgement calls. If you look at the veterans online, they use the whole array of tools and know when to use them.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346
    Options

You hang on a hook periodically and usually for a small portion of time. If you just slug all 4 and never hook you’re forcing them to wait out the bleed out timer. I’d definitely say one is more boring.

• Kolonite
    Options

I agree with slugging being perfectly fine. There are killers who’s whole play style is basically slugging. Oni and Myers are obvious. I’d say Myers HAS to slug in every game. With how his power works fishing for a snowball and ending the game in one Evil Within is best case scenario. I just think it’s definitely more boring all around than an actual game with hooks being in play.

• TheClownIsKing
    Options

As a Clown main I absolutely have to. I ideally try to go for a one on the ground, one on the hook, one in a chase approach. It drastically slows the gens down.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    Options

It sounds like you primarily don't like slugging because it makes it more punishing to ragequit. Not sure that's the most persuasive argument you could make, but appreciate the lesson.

• SL33PY
    SL33PY Member Posts: 71
    Options

I answered two of the three questions actually. I straight out said it’s not something you can be banned for and that it is not holding the game hostage if you try to down everyone then hook them. As for if it’s toxic, that is a matter of opinion and my opinion is it’s not. so now you have all 3 answers. I apologize if you are illiterate and hopefully using this forum will help you with basic reading comprehension. I personally do not run slug builds although I’ve seen streamers do it plenty and have thought about it because it becomes a new challenge in a sense for killers and survivors but I haven’t played much killer lately and when I do I’m just trying to get the last 3 adept trophies I need w the 3 newest killers. I Don’t see slug builds often as a survivor and enjoy it when I do because it’s kinda rare.

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

How is toxicity a matter of opinion? Doesn't that make it a moot point and distort its definition into "something I personally dislike"?

• Kolonite
    Options

Oh, there are killers that have to use every single part of the game they can to win. Clown is definitely one. I meant there are killers whose power revolves around it specifically.

• TheClownIsKing
    Options

Lol.

I mean, spend a day scrolling through this forum.

There’s a prevalence of “toxicity” mistakenly “a matter of opinion”.

• Waffleyumboy
    Options
  • azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

A strong team wont give this guy a chance to slug. They are going to push gens out fast not give and not give him a chance for a down. If he somehow manages it hes getting hit with DS/UB.

That scenario you made is the most specific scenario ever. A good team is not going to allow the killer a 4 man slug. If the kille manages to get two downs the team will wait fkr.the killer to make a move. If both slugs crawl away from eachother the killer can't gaurd both.

This guy is slugging just to slug. It's not toxic when it's used to avoid DS. Hes litterally doing it every game from the get go. 5 gens.

• pseudechis
    Options

Ok, I did but I can address it more directly, it doesn't harm the player base unless the player lets it. Teabagging can't hurt you, unless you let it. Slugging at worst is 4mins of your time, it can't really upset you unless you let it. If you quit because it exists, then again that is more of a you problem than an overall game problem, as these behaviours I find are in the minority for most games (At least that's my experience).

So why should someone quit because someone else is a jerk, when you can queue again and play with different people. Add folks to your ignore list and dodge lobbies filled with names you recognize as 'bad' players, by bad I mean unpleasant attitude not game inexperience. If there comes a tipping point where every game feels bad then by all means find another game.

If you want to talk about how game mechanics might be abused or changed with respect to toxic behaviour then great but that's a different discussion.

This was about is slugging toxic and no its one way the killer can apply pressure.

Toxic behaviour implies an intention to ruin someone's game, you can slug as a means of pressure with no intent to ruin someone's game. They can be picked up, they can still hatch out and escape, they can run perks to avoid it, there is a timer to prevent it going on forever. Its really not abusive. This isn't "headcannon" this is my point.

Also I realise that tone is absent from text, but your post comes off as a little unnecessarily aggressive. Check the definition of headcannon you've misused it here.

• KittyGirl586
    KittyGirl586 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Devs have said slugging is a valid tactic you're good. Doesn't stop it from being kinda scummy though

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

Check the definition of headcanon you've misspelled it here. I agree slugging is not toxic but over slugging is. Just like a couple taunts or notifications from a survivor is playful but spamming them is toxic. Funny how you think I'm being aggressive when all that's happening is I'm clearly stating my intentions and logic. Sorry if that offends you bud.

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696
    Options

It's not bannable no matter what people are saying. It's not that toxic if everybody is using perks that punishes the killer for actually trying to hook people.

• JephKaplan
    JephKaplan Member Posts: 308
    Options

Literally the most boring and toxic u can be, holding the game hostage on purpose is reportable and should be more harshly punished if anything. If i get slugged then all 3 slugged and no one is going on hook im just gonna dc, im sorry but im not gonna stay in and waste time when i can be in another game or doing smth else other than sit on the floor. Stop doing it and maybe u'll learn to actually play killer and how to do good in chases etc. just chase them again after a hook thats the whole point of the game why play if all u do is slug

• JephKaplan
    JephKaplan Member Posts: 308
    Options

Im not on the hook for 5 mins, on the hook i can at least kill myself and move on. Hooks are in the game for a reason just saying

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696
    Options

So you're accusing someone of doing something banable which they are not but admitting to DCing which is actually banable.