Oni help

Options
n_coming
n_coming Member Posts: 31
edited October 2020 in General Discussions

I am an oni main, I've been consistently rank 1 for a long time now but I would still like some input from other oni mains. You can always improve after all. I've always run the basic b*tch oni build of BBQ, IF, M&A, Pop, but lately I've been running BBQ, IF, ruin, undying. Both of these builds stomp your average lobby. But I want to try and beat the swf.

For the really good swf teams, like 4 man swf with coms and possible object/sprint burst/ ds unbreakable, the best strategy is to play extremely safe and drop pallets early and deny oni his power. I know this is an inherent weakness of oni but do you think it is worth giving up some of his common perks for perks that let him get that first hit easier? I was thinking BBQ (I am addicted), IF (oni must perk), Pop (best single game delay perk), and maybe replacing M&A with something like brutal strength or enduring or possibly even bamboozle?

Any high level oni mains have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

I´ve played tons of Oni for the last two months at rank 1, too. I´ve run the exact builds you mentioned and I feel they´re good enough to take on every team that isn´t top end tournament level.

I experimented a bit with chase perks like bamboozle, but in the end I felt it just wasn´t worth it. These builds are just perfect, in my opinion everything else on him is meme-ish or for fun, but I´d happily try something out that someone comes up with and that could work well.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

I'm also an oni main still rank 1 etc etc, just because a build is basic doesn't mean that it's not good, as for strong yeah undying and ruin is just too much for him.

And no, the only time I use "chase only" perks is when I'm bored, M&A is probably the one that can be changed but really smart survivors will make your first hit take a very long time since that is the counter to our boi.

Brutal strength wasn't as good, bamboozle felt really bad except in long wall JG.

Enduring is good with almost every killer and felt good when I used it.

The only change so far that I've enjoyed was changing pop for corrupt to get my power faster since most survivors these days aren't the most optimal but makes you have to play more "rude" if you are getting destroyed.

The only perk from those that I really believe that can be changed for M&A is enduring.

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474
    edited October 2020
    Options

I generally run Nemesis, Furtive Chase, Dark Devotion and Make Your Choice with Scalped Topknot and Ink Lion or Distressing, Sloppy Boogers, Coulrophobia and Thanatophobia with Renjiro's Glove and Splintered Hull 👍

Post edited by Dpooly on
  • APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

Monitor & Abuse is definitely the most swap-able perk from the default Oni combo. Enduring is probably the best alternative for dealing with pallets (it could also allow you to catch out survivors who thought they could change loops while you were stunned). I'd definitely try that and see how you like it.

If you're willing to make the sacrifice, you could also trade out BBQ (or maaaaaybe Pop) for Spirit Fury to double down on pallet removal. Especially since Oni shreds through pallets once Blood Fury is available.

You could also consider swapping something for Corrupt Intervention instead to buy you a little more early-game time/pressure.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,440
    Options

It isn't ego, it just simply points out that they at least have some idea of what they're doing.

It makes their opinions more credible.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options
  • MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Just stick with BBQ/Ruin/Undying/Infectious Fright. If you're talking about beating a deathsquad... It isn't going to happen. It's just not, there's no amount of skill that will facilitate that. The math just isnt there. If you're talking about everyone else... Well, Ruin/Undying is (with some irony) a lot more consistent that every other form of game delay, and especially on Oni.

• lowiq
    lowiq Member Posts: 436
    Options

To be fair, you should have hit rank 1 to give credible advice in DBD. Especially given how easy it is to hit rank 1. Otherwise, it would be like trying to give someone advice on how to swim when you can barely float in the water.

• HEX_MalusGrey
    HEX_MalusGrey Member Posts: 231
    Options

Not a high level oni but if you want to screw with voice comm players use IF + undying + Third seal + Knock out and go for slugging. They will pick each other up eventually, but there won't be much tactical talking left if everyone is trying to describe where they are.

• greekfire774
    greekfire774 Member Posts: 170
    Options

With my oni I use bitter murmor, infectious fright, pop, and whispers or deathbound. If I have my power available when a gen pops it usually gets me a pretty good down and can be the cause of a snowball effect if I'm not running whispers and see all the survivors together at a single gen.