If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

A Short Lesson in Economics

Options
Peasant
Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
edited September 2018 in Off-topic

For those unaware, Economics is, in a very rough sense, the science of making decisions. Since the community proposes so many ideas to the developers and asks for so many different new features I'd figured I would offer some insight into the decision-making process.

The primary focus of economics is dealing with "Scarcity". Scarcity is a term used to describe unlimited wants with limited resources. Since we lack infinite resources we need to decide what we're going to do with our resources carefully. I'll give a hypothetical example:

"You have $10.00 on your Steam account, you could buy 1080 Auric cells with the money or spend it on a game that costs $10.00"

As demonstrated by the example above you have enough resources to make one choice, but not both. This lack of resources is Scarcity.

Next is Opportunity Cost.

Opportunity Cost is what you lose or give up when you make a decision. For example, say you're a student and exams are approaching. You could spend the weekend studying or you could spend the weekend playing Dead by Daylight. In this scenario, you can only pick one plan so if you choose to study you lose out on the time you could've been playing Dead by Daylight. Conversely, if you decide to play Dead by Daylight all weekend you won't have any time to study. So in example one where you chose to study, the game time was the opportunity cost, in example two where you chose to play dbd the opportunity cost was the study time.

Understanding that this is how decisions are made and measured we can begin to shift focus back into how this applies to Dead by Daylight.

If we consider the development process of Dead by Daylight an Economic system we can see that the BHVR team working on Dead by Daylight suffers from scarcity. They have a limited number of game designers and developers and a constantly growing number of players and proposed changes. Heck, the second most recent stream had the folks at BHVR talking about tons of ideas locked away in some sort of crazy box.

This is why I bothered to post this at all. I understand that waiting is an inconvenience however, I have faith that the developers are making the right choices and are going to continue to try and provide us with a quality game.

Comments

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

Damn its like school all over again!
    Sorry I'll need you to repeat that I fell asleep.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    Options
    No stop, please stop!!!
  • mcNuggets
    mcNuggets Member Posts: 767
    edited September 2018
    Options

If they would continue to provide us with a quality game, they would have actually fixed well common bugs and game breaking bugs over releasing new dlcs.

We certainly know people can't implement all of ours ideas, but the game is full of spaghetti code, full of presets (like physics, shadows, shaders), full of bugs and totally inbalanced.
    They have enough developers to rework some code, fix nearly all the bugs in ~3-4 months when focussing on the game and on top of that fix the balance. It's not that hard, balancing some broken perks and fix looping for the game again to be scary.

But they just refuse to do it. I guess because someone says to them "You should'nt, we focus on making money!".
    Or they are just lazy.
    But there are only these 2 reasons.

I mean they don't even read through the threads in the forums, nor answer bug reports.
    The forum is like the steam forums a community for the community not a tool to connect with the game.
    They don't even answer properly on discord, just ignoring people with good suggestions.