Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

No Obsession = tunnelled

I’ve had two games tonight where nobody was using DS (I never do) and in both matches the killer would hard tunnel people off their first hook until they died. It’s so dumb that if there isn’t an Obsession, killers know they can just head straight back to a hook to down somebody again.

I’ve had a rank 2 Billy and a rank 2 Trapper both do it tonight. If you’re hooked in a dead zone, there’s literally nothing you can do.

You shouldn’t have to use a perk to stop your first hook from being your last. 🙃

Comments

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

Welcome to DbD, where there are literally no rules against tunneling and camping. It's part of the game.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

Some killers tunnel, that's just how it is. You can always take hits for the tunneled survivor so they can get to a loop safely. Then do gens. If the survivor is any good it should be an easy escape, at least for everyone else.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I Guess the obsession mechanic makes it so that your less likely to be tunneled. But the thing is that DS is not even a good anti tunnel perk. Once its used that gives the person ability to tunnel with no consequences.

• Kingsland
    Kingsland Member Posts: 11

Truth - which is why the argument to remove DS is flawed. It is not the other side's responsibility to make sure the others are haveing fun, when fun is objective.

Bring DS. If you don't have DS, hope someone else does. If you don't want to, prepare to be 2 hooked within 60 seconds.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

I legit got (accidentally) sandbagged by a solo queuing rank 20 and then turbo tunneled on my last game tonight:

There are ways around tunneling if you have semi competent teammates, but right now...matchmaking is #########, to put it bluntly.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171

At this point, I think killers will purposefully tunnel whenever there is no obsession cuz there is usually almost always an obsession in games. I don't think I'm explaining it well. It's like doing something because you can when you normally aren't allowed to.

• iZombie
    iZombie Member Posts: 231

I’m not saying it never happens when there’s an Obsession, but it’s definitely less likely. Most killers will slug for pressure and allow the downed person to get picked up.

When there’s no Obsession in the match you’re just lambs to the slaughter. It’s not as bad when you’re in a SWF, but when you play solo, it’s rare for randoms to body block for you.

• iZombie

I do take hits for people and I’ll even purposely get myself downed to stop somebody being sacrificed if they’re on death hook and I’m not. Sadly, most people don’t return the favour. But I guess that’s solo que for ya.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601

Yet I bet you still use DS when you have it equipped and the killer doesn't tunnel you, right? If DS is active and you play aggressively, or especially have UB, right?

• KA149108
    KA149108 Member Posts: 337

Honestly I think DS should be given and not a perk. BUT as soon as you heal, touch a gen or totem then it deactivates. Atleast it wouldn't be abused and would make killers think twice about tunneling.

I hate matches where someone gets downed with 3-4 gens still to be done and that's it there out. Not fun.

• Slendy4321
    Slendy4321 Member Posts: 605

I've noticed this!! I had 3 games in a row where nobody was the Obsession and I kid you not everytime that survivor got off the hook they were instantly downed and put back on the hook. Killers wonder why survivors carry DS it's because they don't want to be tunneled into the ground. I personally hate using DS but I'm forced to use it because I get tunneled after getting unhooked because there's no obsession

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

There's more then one reason that it happens...

Teammate saving you while the killer was chasing them...

Teammate going for the instant save...

Teammate gets an easy save but then disappears and you are the one found...

(Bad Word) even if the killer doesn't see any one after 2-3 gens get done...

Killer had a bad match before... (it happens)

Killer faced the same survivor before... (it happens)

Survivor BM'iing... (it is a weak reason cause intent can't be expressed in game)

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

Yeah, that's how some killers play. To be clear, if I'm playing Blight, I could still hard tunnel you off hook, eat the DS, and laugh as I catch up to you the second the stun wears off. It buys almost literally no time against my beautiful Blighty boy. Luckily for everyone involved, tunneling is something I find extremely boring, so you don't have to worry about it from me, at least.

• Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182

I believe it's already been suggested before but I think every match should have an obsession regardless of what perks everyone is using

• Xbob42

Ah yes, a buff to DS and to non-DS. The change everyone has been asking for.

• Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182

I believe it'd be an alright change. Argue all you want about how unbalanced DS is but getting tunneled just because there is no obsession is pretty stupid.

It would also help with the archive challenges that have something to do with the obsession. I've had a match or two as the killer with a "Hook the obsession x times" mission and there's been no obsession. Just because I didn't have any obsession perks available as the killer and the survivors didn't bring any either.

• SaltedSnow
    SaltedSnow Member Posts: 309

I never tunnel when I play killer, however if there's no obsession I go from punishing someone for being dumb by slugging them to just hooking them. For example if I'm chasing a survivor and I suddenly hear the recently unhooked survivor close by I'll go for them (within reason). If there's an obsession then I'd slug them, if not I hook them.

It's not tunneling, but it does result in certain people getting out of the game faster (namely those who do stupid things expecting me to give them a free pass).

• Xbob42

"Getting tunneled because there's no obsession is pretty stupid."

Hmm, sounds like a fundamental change to the game is in order instead of yet another cheap band-aid fix revolving around DS.

• DerpyPlayz
    DerpyPlayz Member Posts: 583

Or just get good at the game and give them a reason not to tunnel you IE looping them most entirely the game, as they aren't stopping gens if they are going after you the entire game.

Honestly basically you are the only one playing the game if you are tunneled, unless you prefer to just hold M1 and press space for the occasional skill check on gens.

• iZombie

It’s not about ‘getting good at the game’ 🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you telling me you never get downed? Because I find that extremely hard to believe. Sometimes the hit boxes are ridiculous on this game and you can be hit from a mile away, so how exactly am I to avoid that from happening when on my screen I’m not near the killer?

I also never said in the OP that I was being tunnelled. But if it happens to my team it still affects me because I can’t do every generator by myself, can I? Having an Obsession definitely reduces the chances of this happening as most killers nowadays will slug and that at least gives you a chance to pick your teammate back up.

An Obsession shouldn’t have this much control over how a match plays out. It’s extremely flawed.

• iZombie

I’m not talking about any of those reasons. If nobody has been sacrificed and there’s 1 generator left, most logical people would understand why they got tunnelled. I’m talking about the killer hard tunnelling people as they know they don’t have to worry about DS. I’ve had it where I am literally chasing after the killer to body block and they will ignore me to redown / hook the recently saved survivor.

Doing this with 5 generators left and then continuing to do it to every other survivor that follows because you know there isn’t an Obsession is problematic.

I’ve played this game long enough to know that 9/10 if a killer downs you not long after you’ve been on a hook and there’s an Obsession, they’ll slug and there’s a reason for it.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    edited October 2020

No obsession = 3 gens done while 1 guy sits on hook. Therefore killer does not have a choice. They should just put a obsession in every match because no obsession games 1 person always gets the ax while 3 others live their new lives as slugs.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I... Honestly still don't have that. Sometimes, sure, but I sometimes cat hardcore tunnelled when there is an obsession, so... Yeah. It's a thing people definitely do, just cannot say I experience it enough to write home about.

• DerpyPlayz
    DerpyPlayz Member Posts: 583

Oh it is about getting good at the game entirely.

No, I do get down but it takes at least one gen to down me typically because this game is not balanced well and on top of that I have been playing for a while so I know loops very well.If you don't believe me then thats a personal problem because if we can simply invalidate the others position by states "Nah you didn't do that" then conversation is futile as I could just do the same thing.

I think you are talking about lag, where you seemingly get hit across the map, in this situation you can't do anything, although I never said you could and nor did I speak upon it so I don't know why you are talking about it.

Either or, what I said still applies if you are or aren't being tunneled.

This is a strawman, I never said you could do every gen by yourself. Obsession literally doesn't affect the game in any way other then you knowing when they are in chase and that they or the killer has a Ob perk, so its silly you think a ob has any unfair control.

Its just a special label and nothing more.

Why is it, that the actual issues in the game are ignored by players like you, and then you talk about some bs that has nothing to do with the issues.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

I experienced that too, especially with randoms, that's why I'm using it

• FoggyWeather_
    FoggyWeather_ Member Posts: 163

I always bring one kind of Obsession Perk just to have the Entity claws in the match.

As long as I can provide a little help to counter tunneling, I'll gladly take it with me. Of course there are those killers, which will hunt you down no matter what

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,690

I mean... you could just not unhook when the killer is nearby.

Okay, yeah, there are going to be killers that camp, and the solution is... well, to leave your teammate to die and slam gens. Yes, it sucks for everyone. On the plus side, at least the killer is almost guaranteed to de-pip as long as you don't over commit to the rescue.

But yeah, as much as I absolutely hate Decisive Strike, I won't deny that it's one of the only 2 anti-tunnelling perks in the game, and without it, killers can do some pretty scummy plays.