If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Toxicity Starts At The Top

Options
Zagrid
Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000
I was watching a video either about Ark or DayZ and it was talking about how those games died. I don’t want to speak much of that here but they both had the same issue. The core mechanics and the devs refusal to change them is what caused so much toxicity in the community. Some issues such as having the games anti cheat being anything but an anti cheat letting hackers do whatever they please making normal players hate their experience. Also having things in the game that could happen or were necessary to happen being in their design toxic. I think you can see what I am getting at. Bringing this to DBD the core mechanics of survivors is to get generators then leave, however this playstyle is not only not that fun for survivors but if the survivors work together like they are supposed to and do gens like they are supposed to, killers don’t stand a chance and depending on the map even the nurse can’t do anything. This is where the toxicity starts, killers being tired of this will start doing things like running NoEd which is despised in survivors eyes and can make survivors very toxic. Or from survivors wanting to have fun they toy with the killer (Another point of toxicity the devs created) the killer could start to camp or face camp being another thing survivors despise and another point of toxicity. I noticed this also with the killers trying to do their job and core mechanic... kill survivors. The main thing here in tune with camping is tunneling. Now this is not a post saying “Camping sucks, killers should be punished for camping” because smart survivors can punished camping. The thing I am saying is camping and tunneling are a few strategies that killers could or have to use to actually kill survivors. Which, by now you probably get the point, creates toxicity. Every post, every complaint about this stuff can all be traced back to the devs. And yes I know, no multiplayer game will be toxicity free. However, just simple things like making the objectives more engaging for survivors, adding in regular events to keep the game fresh, a bunch of simple things could be done to drastically decrease the amount of toxicity in DBD. I know the devs will probably never read this or some mod will lock this for being a post to start a flame war, but it is not. I am just simply stating that the game could be so much more enjoyable for both sides if the Devs took a step back from all this new content, new cosmetics, new ways to make money, and simply just looked at the core of the game and make it more interesting. He joke consistently being survivor is M1 simulator and that is a big point. Make fixing a generator more of a challenge more engaging something to make your brain work instead of just hold m1 and wait for sound. 

That at was a wall of text I am proud of, and anyone that made it through I hope you see what I mean. 

Comments

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    Options

From what I'm summarizing from this post: TL;DR> Tamper/Look the core mechanics (Pallet loops, camping & tunneling, and some other actions which create toxicity) rather than implementing new cosmetics, dlc, ways-to-make-money, and perks that supposedly "solve these problems" and actually do something with it. Yay nay?

I agree. They set out a whole 1 year plan for new content but it's commonly agreed on both survivor and killers that the balance and core mechanics need some serious tampering with. I rather 1 year spent on that then some new content that could even potentially break the game more, not to mention the use of spaghetti code...

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2018
    Options

Of course the toxicity is bred by the devs. They caved for trolls to be able to play SWF without considering the balance issues, they routinely show their bias towards survivors given by the list of nerfs for each side (the Killer nerf list at minimum doubles the Survivor nerf list), nerfing a new Killer a week after release due to noob complaints and then refusal to reverse the changes, granting Survivors a myriad of
    second chances that breeds an entitlement mentality etc.

I could keep going. But i'm hoping they have finally realized their errors with this roadmap. The PTB seems promising.

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@weirdkid5 said:
    Of course the toxicity is bred by the devs. They caved for trolls to be able to play SWF without considering the balance issues, they routinely show their bias towards survivors given by the list of nerfs for each side (the Killer nerf list at minimum doubles the Survivor nerf list), nerfing a new Killer a week after release due to noob complaints and then refusal to reverse the changes, granting Survivors a myriad of

I could keep going. But i'm hoping they have finally realized their errors with this roadmap. The PTB seems promising.

I just want full fledged solo comms, so survivors can be appropriately nerfed, so looping can be removed, si camping can be removed, si everything can be good. First step is not killer vs survivor balance, but solo vs SWF. That’s whats causing the tear, as they are tied to the same stats, but have different amounts of strength.

Of solo was as strong as Swf. Then both could be nerfed to a serval rate of around 50%. Survivors now are on equal playing field, killers don’t get didavtange based on groups, survival is at 50% problem solved.

It’s the unwillingness to lower immersion that stops them from adding comms to solo, but by not adding it, balance ruins it as well. They use need to buckle up and realize immersion is he price they have to pay, and almost everyone is perfectly fine if that is what it takes to balance.

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@weirdkid5, fun fact; green (the color I use, is the exact opposite of purple, the color you use)

• RagingCalm
    RagingCalm Member Posts: 408
    Options

to the OP - Seriously, just using tab at random parts of a huge wall of text like that makes the world of a difference when it comes to reading it.

• deadwolfwalking
    deadwolfwalking Member Posts: 624
    Options

balance will never be corrected properly on this game.... not because of any fault on the devs part so much. its simply a matter of too many variants.... there are rank 20s that should be rank 30s if that was possible. there are rank 1s that should just go to the end game screen instead of loading the match because its pointless to even try to play em. then you have swf vs randos. then add in all the meta perks and flashlights.... i doubt ANYBODY would complain about DS if they only had one per match. it would simply be an inconvenience.... its when you have 4 that it becomes outlandish.... the same with flashlights. 1 is balanced. 4 is OP.... theres no way to gauge because there are too many combinations....

• weirdkid5
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Jack11803 said:
    @weirdkid5, fun fact; green (the color I use, is the exact opposite of purple, the color you use)

You did that on purpose lmao

• weirdkid5
    Options

@SaltyKiller said:

@weirdkid5 said:

I think a lot of that was the fault of Starbreeze. I can imagine Starbreeze demanded that Survivors get Get Out Of Jail For Free perks and that Freddy gets nerfed.

It's kind of weird how Behavior is like "Okay, we're going to nerf Freddy because of rank 20's."

3 months later.

"We think Freddy is fine."

4 months later and Starbreeze is out of the picture.

"We're going to buff Freddy soon."

You don't exactly have to be Sherlock Holmes to notice something is up. Not to mention that DS has been absolute cancer for such a long time but once Behavior is free from Starbreeze they start talking about nerfing/changing DS.

This is also true. I had hopes that the game would improve after leaving Starbreeze and so far the PTB is promising.

• Vancold
    Vancold Member Posts: 188
    Options

Aaaand another replica of a shitfest thread.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

Well, the toxicity of this game is in good portion due to its mecanics allowing it.
    Tho it also allow memes, and what dbd would be without the memes ?
    Example :
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1400008606

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Runiver said:

Well, the toxicity of this game is in good portion due to its mecanics allowing it.
    Tho it also allow memes, and what dbd would be without the memes ?
    Example :
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1400008606

I did not see Mr. Freddy for a while. The nerf has changed him so much