The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is hatch a "fair" mechanic?

DeftDaemon
DeftDaemon Member Posts: 21

Is hatch a "fair" mechanic? 148 votes

Yes
60%
Seiko300ZerLukasSchinderellaTapeKnotF60_31kaerubrokedownpalaceJacoby2041[Deleted User]Aven_Fallenthen4321PennosukeTaigaAhoyWolfdiscopumpkin200DetailedDetrimentkaratinac97ParallaxjadssPlantCollector 89 votes
No
39%
FatelanceGibberishkodiakyBlueberryGHERBEARRULESWesker[Deleted User]Dimekanarchy753xEcoLog1cDuk3XxRaptorrotasLeonardo1itaElikMrPenguinVetrathenepalletsryummyGhosty123Rin_is_my_waifuRoboMojoGlamourousLeviathan 59 votes

Comments

• horrortale_sans
    horrortale_sans Member Posts: 651
    Yes

i think it fair because if your the last suviver and there is no hatch the killer only has two places to guard and you dont have enough time to open the door

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,816
    Yes

I think that keys should work differently than they do but the hatch itself is a good mechanic IMO.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763
    Yes

Keys need to be reworked to work better with the hatch mechanic, but overall it's completely fair and fine.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Yes

Given that is exists just to make the match end while keeping the last survivor engaged makes it fair.

Imagine if it wasn't in the game with no end game collaspe it would be a game of chicken where the survivor and killer would be trying to wait the other out to either do gens or actually find the survivor.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    Yes

The hatch itself is fine. It's everything that effects hatch that isn't as healthy for the game.

• Clueless
    Clueless Member Posts: 340
    No

If the Survivor finds the hatch first they escape, if the Killer finds it first the Survivor now has a chance of escaping via gate. I don't think it is fair but the game would be a lot worse without something like it imo.

• devl
    devl Member Posts: 9
    Yes

Absolutely. It ensures match progression (either the survivor escapes or the killer closes it and the timer begins to which the survivor either escapes, gets murdered, or dies cos they can’t get out). It also levels the playing field and makes for a good final show down between the killer and the survivor.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,913
    No

No. The hatch mechanic is not about being fair for the Killer or the Survivor.

its to bring the game to a close, Survivors already screwed up, its about closing the game now, this is why we have endgame collapse.

Chop Chop says the Entity, lets get this over with.

• jotaro
    jotaro Member Posts: 173
    Yes

It's part of the game.

• ScreamingFeng
    ScreamingFeng Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2020
    No

The hatch will appear regardless of there being 5 gens left or no gens left. If you absolutely demolish a team and kill 3 of them before they have the chance to repair a gen, the last survivor still has a chance to escape by dumb luck. If you kill the third survivor when there's 1 gen left, the 4th one likely already knows where the hatch spawned. If you slug for the 4k because you don't wanna feel robbed, you get called sweaty. If only there was a way for the last survivor alive to actually prove they are good enough to escape...

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687
    No

Hatch would be much more balanced if keys get reworked

• Katie_met
    Katie_met Member Posts: 422
    No

Its spawn is completely random which can favour the killer or survivor. But it's the best the game can do since they can't expect a survivor to repair gens and escape by them self or open a gate by them self.

• herrik666
    herrik666 Member Posts: 191
    Yes

I think it's fair, but that's different than fun. I've heard some other good ideas out there on what to do in the 1v1 sceario tha could make it more fun and rewarding (like and end-game chase where if the killer doesn't catch the survivor in a certain amount of time they get to escape).

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    No

A survivor could literally just be crouched in a corner all game and still escape if they get lucky with the hatch spawn which is insanely stupid in my opinion but it's not the end of the world. The thing that just makes me kinda dislike the hatch is I could literally know where the hatch is and go over there as the second last survivor is being sacrificed. Only to see that the last survivor is there already, no biggie, I can just go there and as the power role I should be able to close it before they can escape right? WRONG. Doesn't matter how much I spam the close hatch button, they'll still escape right in my face which is one of the worst things to experience in this game in my opinion. Not the end of the world, I still got my 3K, but I was denied the 4K through no fault of my own. Just a bit annoying, I guess. If there was less rng to the hatch and it depended on how the last survivor performed then that would be neat, dunno how that would work though.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    Yes

Hatches are ok for the most part. The only issue I have is I think a key should only let the key user escape and then the hatch closes behind them. Multiple survivors escaping with a single key is too swingy. (Similar to how multiple early kills with a red mori is too swingy.)

• TsukiYurei
    TsukiYurei Member Posts: 103
    No

Remove keys then it’s fine.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294
    Yes

I think it is. It is a mechanic better present than absent anyway. Because if there wouldn't be a hatch, almost any match with 2 survivors dead before gens are done would be pointless to continue for surivvors.

Keys aren't fair though.

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 617
    Yes

Hatch? Absolutely.

Keys? Not so much.

• jadss
    jadss Member Posts: 207
    Yes

you want to give people a way to escape if the people didn't do the gens, so that's garbage argument.

• Clueless
    Clueless Member Posts: 340
    No

That sounds like the Hatch to me. Maybe add some context next time.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,860
    Yes

When it comes to hatch opening when there's one survivor left, I think it's a great addition to the game. Although, I think keys are just as unbalanced as moris and multiple survivors shouldn't be able to escape through hatch.

• Aquagrunt
    Aquagrunt Member Posts: 6
    No

For the final person, yah. For more than one person? No.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited December 2020
    No

I am of the mind that if your team lost then they lost, that's just the nature of a team based game. I don't think we need to give the last survivor a chance based get out of jail free card that can screw the killer out of a kill they deserve. If the concern is holding the game hostage we now have EGC that we can implement in its place.

I don't really think it's "fair" in its current state as its inclusion really only benefits survivors and it doesn't do much but undermine the match and what should be its results or allow multiple people to get out with keys and such. I would just start EGC when 1 survivor is left or if there has been no chase for a very long time to prevent hostage situations. Rough idea but something along those lines.

It should not be in your favor, or close to it, to escape if you are down to 1 player in what was a 4 man team.

If hatch is included to stop survivors from holding the game hostage, it sound strange to me that the solution is giving them a free escape option. Feels like rewarding bad behavior.

• TurtleSushiTV
    TurtleSushiTV Member Posts: 156
    Yes

Its all good Baby

• Chechia
    Chechia Member Posts: 234
    No

In most scenarios it simply isn't.

It punishes Killers for doing well and there is nothing they can really do about it (besides slugging for the 4k).

Giving survivors two escape chances when they screwed up isn't what I would consider fair.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,130
    edited December 2020

I mean, it's RNG. RNG isn't necessarily fair or unfair. The hatch is a necessary mechanic because otherwise the last survivor would just stealth around the map holding the game hostage forever, and those situations suck. I don't want to be held hostage, please just leave.

I've said this elsewhere and I'll repeat it here: I think the hatch is too generous. The fewer gens that were completed, the fewer points it should reward. If all five gens were completed, then it would reward as much as escaping through the exit gate. For some reason the hatch is treated like "super escape!" like it's better than leaving through the exit gates, and that's bad for the health of the game. Some survivors basically play for the hatch, being nearly useless and waiting for teammates to die and that's partly on the game for making the hatch seem like a win when it's supposed to be a consolation prize. Pay out fewer points and make a new end screen that's neither "Escaped" nor "Sacrificed" but some sort of in between. Maybe instead of running back to the campfire the survivor is on the ground like they're in the dying state beat up and bloody dragging themselves to the campfire. Who said the hatch had to be pleasant? It could be a twenty-mile-long tunnel full of thorns, you don't know.

Also, punish killers less for hatch escapes. If hatch escapes didn't punish killers so much in both in BP and emblem points then it wouldn't feel so unfair.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    No

I don't even know how people can say yes to this. There is absolutely 0 reason why a player who couldn't even do 1-2 gens should be allowed a free win mechanic. Especially with how broken the 2 door 1 hatch trick is.

• then4321
    then4321 Member Posts: 234
    Yes

I play survivor and killer equality.

I think hatch is fine, I just wish that the hatch spawn to the amount of gens done/survivors alive was bumped up.

Right now, it's 4 alive / 0 gens left, 3 alive / 1 gen left, 2 alive / 2 gens left.

I'd be more satisfied if it was, 4 alive / no hatch, 3 alive / 0 gens left, 2 alive / 1 gen left.

• Aquamarine
    Aquamarine Member Posts: 207
    No

Personally I don't like hatch that much. It's too much based on luck where it spawns and whether the killer or the survivor finds it first. Another thing, if there are only two survivors left, one of them sometimes decides to camp the hatch until the other is dead and get an undeserved, risk free escape. That sucks.

I would remove the hatch and make exit gates powered when there's only one survivor left. Yes, a survivor can still decide to camp an exit gate but it wouldn't be that easy to escape.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763
    Yes

The only thing I disagree with is if the killer kept up so much pressure that they kept 5 generators and a survivor can escape. 4? Fine whatever, but it should never appear if there are 5 generators left. I guess for bloodpoints and keeping survivors engaged is why they do that, but it doesn't feel fair to the killer who did a good job. If the killer does such a good job that there are 5 generators left when it's down to 1 survivor they deserve the 4k (probably why there are so many who slug with 5 gens left when down to 2 survivors). I get it's a rare-ish occurrence for there to still be 5 generators left by the end of the game, that's why I'm not suggesting it to completely revert back to how it used to be. Especially seeing how the killer can close the hatch and trigger endgame collapse.

• AlightBULLDOG
    AlightBULLDOG Member Posts: 54
    Yes

This game does nothing but reward bad killer behavior. Tunneling, body camping, body baiting, sweating, slugging. Its 1-6 in favor of killer. I think it's fine. That's not taking into account that bad teammates can negatively effect a good or great survivors game by sandbagging them, not getting the gens done or doing stupid things. One survivor cant do everything and escape. It's a last ditch effort to give the luckiest/best survivor one more chance to escape. But as killer you get to roam the entire map without worry so it's a lot easier to find.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited December 2020
    No

Again, if you had a bad teammate then thats too bad. One survivor shouldn't do everything, its a 4 man team. This is not a 1v1 its a 1v4.

All the things you mentioned can be strategies used to get the killers objective done and all have their counter-play by the survivor team, they are not necessarily "bad behavior". Additionally the game doesn't reward you for any of these, the survivor team has to. The same cannot be said about holding the game hostage, on either side that does nothing to move the game forward and has no purpose but to stop the game from ending indefinitely.

Survivors get a potential free escape because of a problem they created, I wouldn't put them on the same level as something like slugging and baiting which aren't even "bad behavior" inherently. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it fit that definition in this context.

Edit: For clarification, in this sense it means doing something unintended that causes a negative or unchanged game state (never ending) for both sides with no viable solution from the other side or something done solely to spite the side opposing yours. A much smaller example would be something like T-bagging at the exit gates.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,277
    No

No, it is not fair to lose a kill just because of luck even if you played super hard during a match