The Lack Of Flashlight Usage

Boss
Boss Member Posts: 13,614

And no, i don't mean that this is the least-picked Item.

I mean that i actually quite often see Flashlights, though less than Toolboxes & Med-Kits.

Thing is: They just never use 'em, i don't even hear a click of them making an attempt.

The best they can do is blind me at a Pallet, i can't even remember the last time someone blinded me while picking someone up, let alone them timing it successfully.

They seem to only carry Flashlights in for show, and i'm even a Wraith 24/7.

Is this just my experience?

Comments

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

If you follow the chase and mess up you just wasted a lot of gen time and the killer now has a bear on you so its no wonder so many people dont bother anymore outside of pallet blinds.

To be fair I used to be really good with a flashlight but after the pickup speed change I never really learned the new timing. Nowadays I just use ones I find in chests and get the blind off about 50% of the time.

Its too risky for a solo player.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,795
    edited November 2020

Idk, I bring them and frequently use them. Not sure if usage on the whole is going down or if more people are just bringing them just to click at the gates or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• itsaconehead
    itsaconehead Member Posts: 236

I hoard flashlights because I suck with them, last time I tried to use one against Legion to save a teammate, I failed and ended up injured.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

If i bring flashlights then i'm only gonna use them to clicky clicky at my teammates.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

Yep, too much wasted time if your teammate is competent at looping only for the killer to look at a wall. Similar reason as to why sabotage is not that popular either. Ask yourself the following questions:

1-How long have you followed the killer around?

2-How long will your teammate survive after the save?

If 1 < 2 and you can reliably pull the save then you have a good investment. Sometimes the stars align and you happen to find a flashlight and the teammate goes down close to you. That's infrequent though.

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617

I just watched a claudette try to use a flashlight to save a survivor getting picked up and fail.... While the killer was standing under a pallet and had no idea the saving survivor was even there.

That's mainly what I noticed about flashlights. There was a time where I obsessively shoved my face into the nearest vertical surface for every pickup... but 95% of the flashes I see in games now can't even manage a pallet blind, let alone a save. They'll stand still in the middle of a hallway with a t3 Myers coming at them and attempt to blind while not even so muc as backing up.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

The only time I use a Flashlight is if I really try to make an attempt to save someone who was close by, and even then, my aiming is complete garbage. The only time I've ever managed to save someone was when they were literally 2 feet away from being hooked and the killer didn't look up in time. Beyond that, my inventory for all survivors have become a museum of various flashlights I either find in chests, or loot ninja from corpses.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Aiming the flashlight with controller is way too much struggle to be worth it. Also the timing doesn’t make things easier. And avoiding to be flashlighted as killer is pretty easy tbh. All comes down to scenarios where I only would get flashlight safes against killers that already struggle against my team and I know how frustrating that can be as killer.

• KingWeeb
    KingWeeb Member Posts: 10

I only use flashlights to clicky click when one of my friends blows up a gen

• Boss

Okay, i hear you guys.

But still: I'm Wraith.

Like, not even an attempt?

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Still bad at aiming the flashlight and an experienced Wraith will be able to dodge my attempts. An inexperienced Wraith is something you normally don’t see in higher ranks

• Boss
  • SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

Are you sure they don't even use them midchase to reset their animations and hence try to juice you? As a lot of higher level players basically run flashlights not for saves, but for the cool movements they allow you to do.

• Mistikus
    Mistikus Member Posts: 1,347

For me clicking on the others survivors is much funnier

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

Same.That's pretty much the only thing i do with flashlights

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I don't use flashes at pallets/windows and don't seek out flash saves - generally only if the opportunity is presented to me. But yea, just yesterday I used the flash to burn a wraith.

Perhaps some people don't actually know you can burn a wraith. I bet a lot of people also don't know you can burn a Nurse when she's holding her blink.

• Boss

I...appreciate that very much, though i won't realize that in the trial, so SMACK it is.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

They were nerfed a little too much as usual. Takes way too much precision and timing also. The batteries also don't last long enough.

Killers have also learned to look at walls all the time which devoids their usage. I think they need buffed slightly.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

Juicing is a term used when referring to juking using a flashlight.

It could be a click into a moonwalk, 360, or even weird forward movement.

• WestX
    WestX Member Posts: 120

In my experience it can be pretty easy for the killer to counter them if they know to just look away. It can be very hard to actually blind a killer with it unless they just don't care or if its during the pick up animation when they physically cannot look away.

Because of this, I rarely even consider bringing them, you need upgrades to get the blind quick enough to be viable, and that means they're expensive.

• Boss

Can't remember seeing any of them do those using a Flashlight.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Because flashlights are the worst item a survivor can bring, and against any killer with half s brain cell you're never going to get a flashlight save. Ever.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

They should buff flashlights so it gives repair speed when you shine it on someone working a gen. Make it feel like your helping when you're actually not.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Oh hey, I'm one of those guys who brings a flashlight and forgets to use it. It happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

100%

It counters trapper and all hex perks.

It could also allow for some hatch plays

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

It really depends on how you play as a killer, you've got enough hours and know how to pressure survivors and avoid the saves easily ,so if you have alot of pressure it's better to try and do gens than save but if a couple gens popped and you still haven't downed the guy I'm probably gonna try for a save in that scenario because the pressure is on the killer and not my team, but you could also just be so accustomed to playing against flashlights that you look into walls and such making survivors give up on trying it once they realize following is probably just hurting more than helping.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

Flashlights have an insanely high skill ceiling, and the q-ty of people able to use them properly is basically very smol.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263

I've to be honest. Since the last flashlight change I still didn't adjust to the new center-aim. I fail a lot more now and lately stopped using it. I should try really try my best to get better at it again, instead of letting it go. 😐️

• mee
    mee Member Posts: 12

I haven't seen firecrackers in about 6 months 😅 I actually forgot they were a thing until you brought it up. And I agree with you. Much more useful

• Boss
  • bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

More fun too, like blinding your swf or yourself instead of the killer. 😂

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Maps give you locations of totems, gens, exit gates, chests. With the right add-ons they can be shown to your entire team, so there's ruin undying sorted, as well as finding gens on maps like The Game and Hawkins.

Flashlights get you killed.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

I rarely bring flashlight. Yesterday I played survivor and took flashlight just to get rid of it. But somehow I managed to save someone. It is so rare to get save against good killer. They always face opposite direction of fake picking up to bait you out. Blinding at pallets and windows not worth it, because you better gain distance instead of blinding. Fashlight is just an item to annoy beginner killers.

• 2LuvRias
    2LuvRias Member Posts: 352

I don't bring flashlights because when I do it always ends the same way. With a tunnel and a mori. I don't blame em tbh, it's sort of a "You ruin my fun, I'll ruin yours punk",

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

I remember match where I take flashlight just in case. It was Ghostface on Lary. He was stalking us healing. When we finished I blinded him saying "What the ######### are you looking at?". He exposed me right before moment he got blind and missed attack. I ran away successfully. Fun times.

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415

I don't use flashlights that much anymore because the pov has been changed over and im tired of learning a new angle every patch lol

Plus i only bring a flashlight if im rank 1 and only need to safety so i can troll all game.

Add the fact that you have to run iron will to even get a flashlight save at red ranks makes it almost not even worth bringing.

Us toxic flashlight users are out there lol im searching now as we speak, purple flashlight green battery yellow filament, running breakout, sabo, mettle of man, and DS.

Where ya at? 😂

• GrilledCheesus
    GrilledCheesus Member Posts: 6

Any time I've tried to use a flashlight it does jack #########. If I could just discard them from my item box I would.

Truth be told I honestly don't see a point in any of the items outside the medkits. You can still fix gens without a toolbox and realistically and no matter how many times I've used the instructions add on, I still get skill checks so that's busted unless in an idiot. The map is by and large useless since you can see the lights. The key... Honestly I have no idea what that even does.

So yeah, other than medkits, no item is useful imo.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

I don't like to use flashlights. I only use them if there is a rift challenge for that. Besides that, if you see me carrying a flashlight, it was because I found it in a chest and picked it up. After the match, if I survive, it goes to the pile I already have.

• remoirel
    remoirel Member Posts: 231

cos its not worth the effort.

Its so easy to bait flashlights as killer, literally doing a 180 from the direction you downed a survivor to then picking them up is enough to avoid one in an open space.

plus, they keep messing with flashie angles every patch that you have to relearn the angle every 6 weeks. They've been changed AGAIN on the twins ptb.

• BumpEmOff99
    BumpEmOff99 Member Posts: 52

I'm just so bad at using the flashlight, i chicken out lool. Or if someone gets downed, I never get there in time for the pick up flashlight save.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I love flashlights, you can even counter a Mori with one by your team hopping in a locker to get saved out of it, sure they're easy to bait normally but if you do it right you can make a big play against even the best killer , in my experiences the best way to use a flashlight is to wait until a couple of gens are done before you go for saves that way they don't expect it and pick right up for you , it resets the whole chase and you can get back on gens because they aren't gonna pick right up the next time and that's more time wasted