Something That Needs Addressing About Elodie

beached
beached Member Posts: 303
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

I don't know who needs to hear this but people who refer to Elodie as "Claudette Number Two" need to seriously re-evaluate the way they talk about people of color. Elodie, quite literally, looks NOTHING like Claudette whatsoever and the sheer number of people that have been calling her Claudette 2 is disheartening. I tend not to be offended easily, I can take a joke if it is funny but there is nothing funny about literally saying something with racist undertones. Elodie's character model is entirely different from every other survivor in the game, and is obviously the way behavior is going in creating future character models and updating old ones. This isn't up for discussion, if you say Elodie is just another Claudette simply because they're both women of color you seriously need to sit down and think about your implicit racism. Sincerely, members of the community that are tired of people who think racist comments are funny.

Edit: To be clear, it's not the people who accidently thought during the trailer that Elodie was Claudette. It is SPECIFICALLY the people who insist on calling Elodie Claudette 2.0 despite knowing for a fact that they are two different characters that only share the fact that they are both women of color. It would be silly of me to call everyone who didn't realize Elodie was a new character the second the trailer came out racist. It is the people on the twitch stream, the people in fog whisperer's chats, and others who literally call Elodie Claudette 2.0 ONLY because she is also a woman of color.

Post edited by beached on

Comments

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Yep the Glitz and Glamor/Silk and gold set head piece "Curl and Glow" is specifically what I was referring too.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

She's not even the same skin tone. Granted, if you're someone who pays no attention to detail, maybe. She's just very clearly a different character to me in facial structure, physical build, etc.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

if your looking at their face then yes....

However in game you rarely if ever get to look at players faces for longer then a second or two and most people playing killer can recognize the difference between the 2 by either the screams or when they hook them because they get to actually see their front/face.

The front of the character doesn't matter in a game where they are almost never going to be facing you as either survivor or killer.

• assist
    assist Member Posts: 9

Tbh when i saw the trailer i thought that's kind of a weird art style for Claud and David. That's what my first thought was. Of course after having seen a few more pics of her i agree she's obviously a different character than Claud, but i also think you can't deny they share similarities at first sight. It's not racist, at least not from my side, i also mistook Nightrider(?) Kate and Zarina for Meg for quite a while after i came back to DbD after an almost 2year break.

• Komi
    Komi Member Posts: 364

Its more the nature of this game's cosmetics that I immediately assumed Elodie was a legendary for Claudette when watching the trailer, until Victor shredded David that I remembered its a chapter.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,583

I did too and I got excited and I said to Mr Mushwin oh it's a new skin for Claudette but it's like I am now ashamed to think of such -rme-

• RamiSamii
    RamiSamii Member Posts: 173

Knew it was a different character right from the trailer. Why would they put "Claudette" in a brand new cosmetic set, but leave David default? It makes no sense. Claud's big curly hair also isn't even as big as Elodie's. She isn't Claudette #2 and she never will be. She's Elodie, and I don't see how people cannot tell the difference unless they are either visually impaired in some way or frankly just don't care and think "black girl #2 = black girl #1." They aren't even the same shade or shape, nor do they sound the same.

• Mushwin

I felt very much your OP may of offended literally innocent people, as there is similar differences with Elodie and Claudette, I feel your post seemed to of bashed people that just felt at a glimpse it was Claud and even calling her Claud 2 is not been racist at all. You are basically calling people like myself a racist just because I addressed things that are similar which I don't think it's right and the devs, mods would insta ban people been racist which I cant see posts of such a nature.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I thought it was Claudette at first. I just thought they'd changed her model a bit.

• Mushwin

We have had David King in Darkness among us, as I said it could of been a new cosmetic, David looked like he was protecting, looking out for Claudette, to me that is. It is a known thing of survs been in trailers, people shouldn't be judged just because they thought something.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

Thinking it was a Claudette skin promo trailer at first is not necessarily racist, you’re right. But why would someone call her Claudette #2 when they’re completely different? Different nationalities, personalities, looks, voices and mannerisms. Claudette is a skinny nerd and Elodie is a glamorous thief. The only thing they have in common is that they’re both female and black.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2020

In the initial reveal of her and David walking together with the fog/distance I can understand thinking it's Claudette with a new outfit as she does have one hair cosmetic that reminds me of Elodie's hair. But it's pretty clear she is someone else pretty fast from there as her facial features are different as well as her skin tone. When it cuts to her opening the chest, it should be obvious especially with her freckles being very noticeable. To add to that, David is in his default outfit so it makes sense the other individual would also be in their default outfit.

But to be fair, I recall some people calling Felix, Ace 2.0. Meanwhile I was just excited to get a generally good looking blond guy in the game. Those have gotten rarer. xD

• Mushwin

It was purely from the trailer if I am honest thats it. From all else I see no they ain't the same, but that was my thought from first thought but I don't feel like peeps should be negative on such.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

Yeah, thinking just based on the first moments in the trailer it’s Claudette is totally legit. There they use a different artstyle and lightning so I can see why people think that could have been Claudette with new skin. It’s just the kn-game models look more distinct to one another than, say Meg and Kate

• Mushwin

Yes!!! I purely thought the graphics too got better lol

• Mushwin

It's hard because it was cartoon based so it was a little more difficult I feel if it was a trailer as the others then maybe some wont of been as confused *s

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

Yeah, I've heard people call Kate " better Meg". Though I can understand where people are coming from when they refer to people who know they are different but still call them the same thing. I kind of would just see it as a joke. The same way people call Nea a goblin or the kate thing. I just get flashes of "how to purple as medical professional?" from my tf2 days

• Mushwin

Nea looks like a foot! and I enjoy kates bewbs jiggling and janes butt but just -.-

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited November 2020

So wait a minute, you're telling me that the Old dude and the woman who's into wearing tank tops are not actually Dwight No. 2 and Meg No. 2?

SMH, yeah right, Next you'll be telling me that the squeaky girl isn't Rule 63 Jake!

I swear, you survivors all look the same to me.

• Mushwin
  • Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

She has similarities but not for the reason you think “her skin”. Elodie’s main hair resembles one of Claudette’s hair styles for example. She also seems to have similar fashion styles.

I think it’s another way of saying that the Claudette model (Meaning the 3D model) seems outdated in comparison. It has nothing to do with the color of their skin, it has to do with design and textures.

Meg and Nea both share similarities too, and again, nothing to do with skin tone. They both have buzzed cuts with sportswear styles.

I honestly just think people need to lighten up and chill sometimes. Like, especially when you have to take things out of context to make your point across.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

I am NOT at all meaning to be racist or mean.

BUT:

Someone thinking two characters look alike does not mean anything. Would saying two white female characters (say, I don't know, Meg and Laurie who I've had friends mix up at a glance.) have racist undertones? No. This is the same thing.

You are not the be-all end-all of whether two characters (regardless of most physical attributes) look similar.

I didn't think she was Claudette 2 until you said something, and now I can see how someone would mix them up at a glance.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

I have actually mistaken Nea with Meg or Feng depending on the cosmetics used because they can be very similar, especially when running around in a match. If they give Felix dark hair cosmetic it'll be easy to confuse him with Ace if not paying attention. It's easy to mistake characters for one another because of how similar some of the cosmetics are. At start of trailer I thought it was Claudette in new skin - thought they were giving her matching outfit to Jane like how Dwight and Adam have one - BUT then I saw close up of her face and realized it was the new survivor. Then I saw the picture of her from ptb and saw just how different they are. Will I confuse them in a match? Probably if they get similar outfits, give her straightened hair and I'll probably confuse her with Jane in a match when I'm running around.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

Care to elaborate then? I'd love to hear from you how comparing two people somehow, in this instance, makes black people less than.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

At a quick glance it's easy to mix them up. Don't get me wrong, they are very different when you stop and absorb the details, but it's kind of like Kate and Yui. I get them confused all the time til I see their faces or recognise their outfit.