Is Leatherface an evil person?

Options
Elena
Elena Member Posts: 2,188
edited November 2020 in Lore

In the lore it states:

Leatherface kills not from a desire to exert his will over others, to satisfy carnal urges, or even to quiet the voices in his head. He kills because he is scared. Scared that others will hurt him; scared that his family will be displeased with him, scared that their shared willingness to eat human flesh will be discovered.

While I'm not good at digging deep into lore, I can infer from that sample of text that Leatherface isn't entirely evil himself, he just wants to protect his family.

What do you think/know? Is there a part of Leatherface that can be considered good?

Try and keep the comments respectful.

Comments

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

Not an expert on his character at all, but i thought he's bad at learning, and his dad and brother keeping him home and not helping to learn at all are what keep him like this.

I'm oh so sure others can tell you about him way better than me, but that's what i know.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,011
    Options

He's not "evil" in the same way that some of the killers like Freddy Krueger are evil. Basically LF has been told his entire life that people coming onto their land are monsters who will take him away from his family so he must defend the family and the land at all cost.

He's no more evil than a lion taking down a gazelle. However, I'm not sure what kind of comfort that is going to be to the gazelle to let it know that it's not the lions fault, this is just it's nature...

• Owlzey
    Owlzey Member Posts: 442
    Options

I don't believe Bubba is evil, he just doesn't know any better. It seems like he was taught that outsiders are bad and they should be dealt with at all cost in order to protect his family. In the original TCM, if you watch the scenes where Jerry and Pam go into the house, you'll notice that Bubba also screams when he finds them, showing that he's actually just as afraid of them as they are of him. He just kills out of fear.

His family is also very controlling and abusive. In the movie there's a scene where Drayton beats him for ruining a door, so he knows that if he displeases his family in anyway, he's most likely going to receive abuse for it.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,743
    Options

Bubba ain't evil as such.

But in this game? The people playing him certainly are.

• Yarheeguy
    Yarheeguy Member Posts: 101
    Options

That's what makes Leatherface a bit of an interesting character

Sure he's a cannibal and he kills people, but it's not on his own choice, he was abused by his family and believed people trespassing their land are bad people.

it's a bit sad, but you have to remember that he also kills people and wear faces, so yeah, he is bad but not evil

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

Based on the Jake and Claudette face descriptions, I don't think so.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,460
    Options

Yes, he is evil. Good and evil are subjective concepts but the only thing we can base them on is our implied social contract with one another. Being scared isn't an excuse; everyone is scared from time to time. Evil from a human standpoint is a profound lack of empathy combined with a willingness to act on it. Leatherface, his whole family, are monsters and from a human standpoint entirely evil.

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985
    Options

Leatherface may be somewhat evil but deep down he is a child scared by unknown people who enter his house or hurt his family, those who are evil are his family, drayton and nubbins, the version of leatherface that is evil is the texas chainsaw massacre 2006, since he practices masochism, mutilation of animals and above all he kills with pleasure, not by orders.

• abc_9000
    abc_9000 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 137
    Options

yes he is a evil person because of how he was raised and how he was treated from his baby years to his 30 or 40 years old

• Malum_Midnight
    Malum_Midnight Member Posts: 366
    Options

I consider him animalistic with basic tool knowledge. He doesn’t really understand good or evil, just to protect His family. It’s like calling Huntress evil. She’s basically an animal with basic tool knowledge

• Gore_Nargai
    Gore_Nargai Member Posts: 77
    Options

No, he's not evil, following the lore of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Bubba Sawyer it's and i quote a "Big Baby" he's under the control of his family because he's scare of the outside world, that's why in most versions of the movie, the audience feels sympathy for the character, cause he has glimpses of goodness.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

the Claudette mask description says he still has empathy

• DanZ3r0
    DanZ3r0 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2020
    Options

I think most of you in this thread would like this...

I published my first serious video project to Youtube. I had a lot of fun making this project. This is a look into the origins of the Old Lady Leatherface cosmetic going back to the original movie (1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre), and stretching back even further. It also contains a pretty decent match I played with the new cosmetic. I hope you enjoy and please like, comment, and subscribe.

• koko_el_crazo
    koko_el_crazo Member Posts: 3
    Options

Yes, yes he is

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,986
    Options

Leatherface isn't... evil, exactly. The entity scares him into slaughtering survivors based on the fears from before he was brung into the realms, so while he is murdering them, he believes he's doing it in self defence.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

So he wears their faces and eats them in self-defense?

Leatherface is evil. He's not the "most" evil of the killers but he's a serial killer cannibal who wears the skins of his victims. Being insane doesn't make him not evil.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,986
    Options

This is basically a nature vs nurture thing. He was taught to do that. To him, that's normal. While objectively it's evil, he doesn't know; he's been taught that everyone but his family is evil.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Just because he’s crazy and doesn’t think he’s Evil doesn’t make it true.

• En3ermost
    En3ermost Member Posts: 298
    edited November 2020
    Options

Depends, would you consider a mentally ######### giant with a room temperature IQ that has been abused his whole life evil?

• abc_9000
    Options

Its pretty much how you raise children. Like Leatherface he was raised by an evil family

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,532
    Options

I don't consider him as "evil". He has some sort of condition that mentally handicaps him, and on top of that his family abused him. He was raised to be like this, he doesn't know any better.

• abc_9000
    Options

better explain then i did

• van1lla
    van1lla Member Posts: 11
    Options

bubba isn't evil, he's just very mentally ill and mistreated, and never taught how to be better. now of course that doesn't make him an angel he's still a merciless killer at some point, but i wouldn't say he's evil. he's just sick in the head, his story is actually quite sad, you should check his original lore out!

• TheBigBingus
    TheBigBingus Member Posts: 97
    Options

I don't think bubba is evil. he's been conditioned to believe that the mutilation of humans and cabalistic nature of his family is normal, and he is just trying to protect and provide for them. in his mind, he sees this as no different than killing a deer or a wolf that threatens your home or family, and simply using the meat for nourishment as to not let it go to waste. he clearly suffers from a mental disability and he cannot make rational decision making due to abuse and conditioning, so in his eyes, he isn't doing anything wrong. as for dbd, the entity has clearly invaded his mind and has put a fear into him to make him continue to kill for it. so no, I don't think bubba is a bad person, he is just clearly mentally challenged to a point of where he could arguably be classified as feral or insane to a degree.

• Literallyweezing
    Literallyweezing Member Posts: 88
    Options

Not exactly, his actions are evil but he can't be entirely blamed. He is a stunted person who was raised in an isolated environment where these actions are normal and any deviation likely results in torment from his family, so in many ways he is a victim himself so his actions can't truly be judged.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited June 2021
    Options

Evil by design. A product of his environment. His mental instability being the main factor. As a result, he is easily influenced and acts on instinct.

However, if you watch the alternative ending to Leatherface (2017)...that's pure evil. Highly disturbing.