Slugging is frustrating me into d/c-ing. Having balance issues at mid level play, just wanna vent.

Options

I'm just getting really frustrated, I know you're not allowed to complain about a lot of stuff on the forums without getting flamed but please just bear with me, wall o' text incoming. I just got so irritated I uninstalled the game because I need to take a break clearly.

I know on paper 4 minutes doesn't sound like a long time but my duuuuude I'm so tired of just staring at my stupid dying survivor for that long over and over. I'm playing an intense, fast paced competitive game and then suddenly I might as well be staring at a windows 95 screensaver.

I hover in the border of purple/green rank and frankly don't see crazy amazing plays with d strike or unbreakable all they do is extend the chase part again for a little bit. Wouldn't you rather just like... let them do their stupid perk and eliminate it from the match so you don't have to worry about it? It seems like it wastes less time to just eat the damn d strike and move on with the match, idk. What if they don't even have it, their teammate comes and gets them up, and you lost a perfectly good chance to hook someone?

Basically every game that I wind up being one of the last two, it's just a 20+ minute extension of a match that's very much already over, because the killer just won't hook me each time. Please for the love of god, I get that you want to kill everyone, but I want to PLAY THE GAME please just let me leave and play a new match asdfj;ladkfgjadfhglaskjdfasdf

I'm not trying to be toxic, or steal the killer's points they earned or whatever, y'know? I just want to playyyyy. You got me, you downed me, you earned it, please just finish the job lol

When there's two people left, it's so unrealistic to get several gens done because the killer moves so fast you can patrol them pretty easily before one person sits there for like 90 seconds or whatever. You're the killer and you have free reign to run around, most of the time you've clearly already found the hatch. Can you please maybe just hook me by the hatch so it's impossible for the person to even get to it before you kick it? I had my first game with that situation and I was like oh my god can I jump into the hatch right behind them? No, no you can't. It really takes a sec for the whole dying animation and stuff.

Is it really so bad if one person gets out? Do we really have to double the length of the match? Why!? If I'm lucky and they do come back for me finally, at that point I'm so tired of having my time wasted that I want to crawl and hide just to waste their time in return. I'm not gonna get spiteful and hide in a random locker for ten minutes just to guarantee some sort of stalemate where you don't get points for hooking me or something. And hell, you get the crows if you try.

Seriously, not understanding why. Is it pipping? I'm so tired of people worrying about rank, my friends are constantly letting this arbitrary number next to their name define the experience. Good fun crazy match but "WHAT I depipped for that??" Who caressss lol did you enjoy the match? I refuse to pay attention to pipping because all it seems to do is annoy or stress people out.

Hell it seems like the higher you get in ranks, the less fun most people have. Sounds like you're almost forced to use DS/etc because the killer feels forced to use their craziest perks.

It's not points, is it? Is it just the pride of the 4k? When I play killer, 3k/4k is about the same amount of points, I dunno. I think it's fun to let the last person escape and stuff like that. Maybe because I main survivor and I know how exciting and fun and silly that can be? I factor in the survivor's experience, but I assume most people don't really factor in other people's fun to their game. Gotta win, gotta rank up, even if you hold the game hostage and slug me for 3 minutes and 50 seconds for both my hooks at the end because god forbid one person gets an exciting hatch escape.

Plus, the scramble to find the hatch when you know the last survivor is trying to find the hatch but they also have to try to be stealth? It's a thrill! Come on!

I just wanna have a bleed out faster option or something. I dunno. Wouldn't it be a noble moment to sacrifice yourself in the name of your teammate getting out hopefully?

It's weird because everyone talks about the game being survivor sided and how they gotta play killer savagely because of ds/unbreakable/adrenaline etc. Adrenaline feels like a big gamble, you're spending an entire perk slot on the gamble that you're going to get all the gens done, AND you're gonna be one of the people still alive at that point. High risk, high reward. Seems fine. I feel like some perks can't be balanced for all levels of play, and it's weird reading forums because it seems like everyone is red rank and only sees the game at that level.

One single unbreakable very rarely changes the outcome of the match when I see it. If I bring it I get irritated because 95% of the time I have wasted my perk slot. I was feeling similar about d strike but I tried to change my view of it more positively, watching that little perk timer after I get unhooked fills me with a certain sense of confidence and recklessness that I enjoy. Unbreakable just tends to be bad luck and I am never slugged (which to my point is fine by me, I just hate having to waste a perk slot just to make sure. Or on the rare occasion it works and I get up, it's rarely some endgame amazing clutch comeback it's like saving me from doom.

On that note, this is probably even lamer of a complaint but I'm so tired of BBQ & chili. I feel like getting to see the entire team every time the killer gets an inevitable hook really punishes me for no reason. Pair it with either nurses or tinkerer and I feel like you just get to keep constant tabs on basically everyone. I guess I just like successful stealth play, because it's not like I can actually win chases and get away unless the killer is truly bad. Also maybe it's because of the bloodpoints boost, I think the real problem is I'm tired of BBQ and chili because quite literally everyone uses it. It's basically a guarantee, if I see someone go down I feel like I have to sprint at them to go for aggressive within 40m hooksave focused play, or I have to hide in a locker, or I have to run a fake direction for 4 seconds, or whatever. I feel like I'm being punished because my teammate got caught, it feels bad.

I can see how aura perks are necessary, but at my level of play killers win chases pretty quickly and for free against most of us... combine that with not being able to be very stealthy, it just again feels bad.

Honestly everything about bubba including that perk leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's the other time I really have a hard time wanting to play the match. Hurr durr chainsaw feels like the most braindead thing in the game. Wow you really outplayed me bud, what a fun chase where you just ran at me and pressed the chainsaw button because I wasn't lucky enough to be near a good jungle gym window. Zzz... Feels like that killer doesn't have nuance or counterplay like everyone else.

I think the game is inherently really hard to balance, 4v1 is a really weird unique structure that requires a level of imbalance. And then competitive games at high levels and low levels are so different you often can't balance things between the two.

It's weird hovering in the middle ranks because I see some of the red rank complaints, but also don't understand a lot of it. Complete facecamping is a nightmare and boring for everyone, but in general the expectations people have of killers to never camp or tunnel is funny at times. It's like you're contractually obligated to hook someone and then you have to go to the opposite corner of the map.

And then when they get the unhook you can't come back to the very obviously guaranteed two survivors. Everyone plays this weird assumption where you get a free unhook and you heal right under the hook, as if the killer isn't allowed to use the momentum of a hook to their advantage? People get all mad at you for moving away from the hook after getting unhooked. Look, I want to just break line of sight so if I see them coming it's not a free second hook. It is funny when I unhook a rando and they just RUN for a long time. But at that point I'm just like "okay you want to get away more than be healed, whatever" you know?

*deep breath*

Okay done whining. Thanks for the vent space. I am clearly getting to that point I think everyone gets to, where the frustrating parts are outweighing the positives and then everything gets blown out of proportion and negative. Glad I'm noticing it, gonna take a break, come back with a more solution-oriented mindset to the problems I'm having.

Comments

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    Options

I've also uninstalled and taken months long breaks from the game. I also find it frustrating as a solo survivor who sometimes waits 15 minutes for a game to get slugged at five gens. It happens a LOT now that I'm back in purple ranks. I just had it happen two games in a row, in fact. I've been thinking about running Unbreakable and Soul Guard along with my DS and Dead Hard now. I want to actually play the game, it's not about winning or losing. It seems like a lot of killers absolutely need to get a 4K to have fun, and I'll never understand that mentality. Like I said, I want to actually play the game. I think it's smart that you take breaks from the game if you're not having fun. Most people seem to come on the forum and scream about how miserable the game is for them and then they keep playing.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 568
    Options

It's pretty silly that we can't just "give up" after a certain amount of time slugged so you can just move onto the next one.

Slugging isn't an issue when the killer does it to punish grouped up survivors but when you leave a guy on the ground for 4 minutes because you don't want the last guy to get hatch (unless they were a toxic pos), it's incredibly lame for everyone involved.

I'll admit, I've done it as killer but for the most part I've done it because I hate the 4th guy and then I give the slugged guy hatch.

Another random thought: maybe if BHVR would remove hook suiciding this would be less common. I get so tired of my teammates hook suiciding when a game isn't going their way and it would give killers a bit longer to look for that last guy before hatch opens so most of them don't feel compelled to slug.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Yeah being slugged for the 4k is dull as sh1t, I only do it if going for a challenge or adept. Slugging otherwise is not the most fun thing but a pretty useful tactic as killer sometimes although I have a bad habit of forgetting where I leave them...so my apologies if you were ever one of them

Also I'm all for a bleed out option when slugged for long enough.

• meatisadelicacy
    Options

So you think it's okay to give up when you're slugged but not on the hook? If I run the killer long enough for all three of my teammates to each pop a gen, and when I'm finally downed, none of them are doing anything? I'm out. Sorry, but I'm not wasting my time with teammates like that. I can't do it all.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259
    Options

Had a doctor today zap, slug, zap, slug, zap, slug. Downed every survivor multiple times, but never once hooked anybody.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651
    Options

Is there a difference between being slugged and doing a gen?

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 568
    Options

Yes because it'd be one minute of sitting phase 2 on the hook if you take the attempts at escaping versus sitting on the ground unable to do anything other than crawl for four minutes. I think the benefit of that change would outweigh the negatives and would draw the stupid slug the third games to a much quicker close.

I've at least had a lot of close games ruined by people who didn't like that they got hooked and just hook suicided.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

The killer might chase you off the gen, you might have to get up and go for a save, or tank a hit, or grab the Devour Hope totem that just got revealed. Sitting and doing a gen for 80 seconds is boring but at least you have to option to stop doing it, you can’t do anything at all if you’re slugged.

• meatisadelicacy
    Options

I still see tons of DC's along with suiciding so I'm not even sure why the penalty is still in the game. I've had penalties for when my teammates block me in while I'm cleansing a totem (twice in a few hours the other day, once again today but I didn't DC, just enjoyed my crows and reported the person after the game even though it does nothing). All the DC penalty does is give killers a BBQ stack, in my opinion. And I played killer the other day to work on challenges - get 20 hooks - and I had survivors DC in five out of my six games. There are times though when I desperately wish I had a cyanide tooth in my mouth when I'm slugged so I could just get out already.

• PanicSquid
    PanicSquid Member Posts: 655
    Options

As a (red-ranked) killer, I generally allow the 4th survivor to race me to the hatch. I don't really get the need to slug for the 4k (unless this team of survivors have really annoyed me).

As for dealing with BBQ a simple life-hack is to be mindful of which side of a gen you're on. Move, when a survivor is downed, so the gen is between you and where the survivor went down. If the killer hooks them near there, they might not be able to distinguish your aura from the gen. Or you could run Distortion to help out a little.

The trick to Tinkerer is recognizing they have it, and trying to keep sight lines open when you reach 70% on a gen. Or you could use Spine Chill for this.

Nurses, mostly you want to heal the other survivor as fast as possible, consider Desperate Measusres, Botany Knowledge or a good med-kit with add-ons.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651
    Options

It's kind of sad that BHVR hasn't figured out a more elegant solution for the Killer 4k. If they want one, they kind of have to slug the 3rd survivor and hunt the 4th otherwise their pip could be a coin toss of who gets to hatch first.

Also, is there really a difference between being slugged and doing gens?

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

I'm going to be completely honest... That thread is way too long considering the simple message.

"I'm playing an intense, fast paced competitive game and then suddenly I might as well be staring at a windows 95 screensaver."

This one made me laugh, though.

Anyways many people dislike getting slugged.

That's why I usually bring Tenacity. Not only can you recover while crawling around but you can crawl 50% faster, too.

Crawling around quickly while recovering allows you to do some plays:

- You can crawl to a loop if you got slugged in a deadzone. As a result the risk of getting slugged again is reduced dramatically.

- If you're the last 2 survivors and the other survivor gets chased you can "chase them both" and try to position yourself so your teammate can get you up after vaulting a window for example.

- you can generally crawl to your teammates throughout the match and recover making the way to your position shorter. As a result you can get picked up more quickly allowing your team to spend those saved seconds healing you or getting back to nearly finished gens.

Long story short: Try Tenacity. It makes getting slugged interesting to some degree.

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868
    Options

I wanted an option for survs to block the killer for 4 min. when doors are open and every surv are at them. This way we can search in boxes of break hooks or stuff like that to make bps. It can be part of the game too.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

You have those options before you are downed. If you give the downed Survivor utility again, you have undone the work of the Killer. Games are short. Worst case scenario you bleed out. We accept that on occasion we will be slugged.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited November 2020
    Options

I'm pretty close to uninstalling, too. Two thirds of my games as survivor are against VPNing killers, and when it's not, the matchmaking is whack as hell, giving me low rank teammates against good killers who legitimately go down in 5 - 10 seconds. I've played maybe 10 games since rank reset as survivor because of it in a time period where I'd normally play at least 50.

And because matchmaking isn't working right now, killer is boring. Survivors literally not knowing how to loop, etc. I love this game for learning how to outplay good players, not destroying babies.

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    GhostMaceNotCrusty Member Posts: 716
    Options

Soul gaurd, unbreakable, iron will, and tenacity.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Slugging is pretty lame to play against but there's a multitude of ways you can prepare yourself for it. Like the above post states. There's a multitude of counter (not sure why Iron Will is there as it only activates while injured). There's also flip-flop, WGLF for faster revives, other healing perks like Botany Knowledge and Desperate Measures.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

There are a mechanical and mindset problems with the game for sure.

Slugging for a 4k is super boring gameplay. It shouldn't be necessary to satisfy a poorly designed emblem system.

I don't really blame players for trying to win, but is it necessary to treat public lobbies like the Olympics? Why extend the game long past its expiration date for a kill? This goes for key escapes too, honestly.

This points to a greater issue with the game: for both roles, matches reach a point where the game is unwinnable but matches will still take forever to end. You can no longer win a game with 2 survivors/multiple gens left unless the killer is beyond incompetent, but it can still take 5 minutes or more for the killer to fully "win" in a sense. Why?

• HeckaYeah
    HeckaYeah Member Posts: 187
    Options

I 100% get the frustration. I played a few days ago and without exaggerating I had 4 games in a row where I wasn't hooked but bled to death because the killer slugged me.. one match had all 4 survivors slugged in under 5 minutes ( say what you will, the killer was high ranked against survivor who were only low to mid rank). I've also had several killers hook a second to last survivor for phase 2 and then slug the last so the last bleeds out. It's frustrating. At least if there's ahook there's a chance of jumping off, even if the baseline is 4%.

• modernhighlander
    modernhighlander Member Posts: 27
    Options

The only time I ever slug as killer for the 4k is if I'm going for Adept. Otherwise, I usually pick up survivors immediately because I can't remember where I left them LMAO

Plus racing the last survivor to the hatch is a lot of fun.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

Tenacity is in the shrine of secrets this week by the way.

Get it now and enjoy +50% crawling speed and the ability to recover while crawling. Turn into a super-slug and make killers envy your will to survive.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    edited November 2020
    Options

A. Slugging has always been the way a killer succeds in dbd 4 hands on gens from the get go and general teamwide pressure is to huge for your clowns and ghostfaces to down and hook immediatly.

B. Decisive and its popularity has pushed mid rank killers into slugging as eating ds is backbreaking. Tally up the number of games a killer ate ds early on and won and you'll see the damage an extra health stage and reset chase can do to a game of dbd. Don't eat ds unless your extremely far ahead.

C. Peope will always want to try there best. Whats the point in playing a game if your not feeling like putting your best foot forward.

D. A lot of your issues is meta relavent. Dbd unfortunatly does not shake up or change the meta at all chosing to keep the strong perks as is. A lpt of perks like noed and ds took ages to change. In ds case it had one failed rework that left it in a broken state for an even prolonged period of time.

E. Stop playing a game that annoys you. Metas are inevitable and even midrank players play to win. Take a break from the game and comeback when your less frustrated. I did that and it helped me get a clear perspective on not what I want from dbd but what I know I can get from it as a game.

• keith_shinji
    keith_shinji Member Posts: 15
    Options

I have the same frustration as you, and I did the same thing few times because it is just MISERABLE being slugged on the ground, having my time wasted when i just want to move on to the next game. When I play killer I never slug survivors just so hatch won't spawn or to get a 4k, because it's so boring! I never get why any of these killer enjoy wasting time trying to find the last survivor and prolong the game. If the last survivor is lucky, he get the hatch, or else I can try to find the hatch before survivor and have fun. A lot of times I still let survivor escape through gate after I found the hatch, as if I won a treasure hunting and wouldn't mind them escape.

I don't get the 4k mentality but each to their own I guess. It's the same as those killers who merely camp or trolling just to annoy the survivors (same thing apply to bad behaviour survivor as well).

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146
    edited November 2020
    Options

I felt your response on a spiritual level lmao

edit: btw, anybody got a tl;dr?

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868
    edited November 2020
    Options

As I said in other posts, devs should remove aura reading from people in diying state from b&c. This would help a lot

• MasonOliver123
    MasonOliver123 Member Posts: 255
    Options

Play Among Us as imposter - that’s how you can vent

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,498
    Options

Tell you want, add up all the time you spend waiting in the gate or standing on the open hatch wasting Killer's time and compare that to how long you've been slugged.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

You just gotta take the bad with the good I'm afraid, just like any other game. The problem is, in DbD if you're playing survivor there's more bad than good so you have to savour the fun moments when you can.