Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Salt-free, genuine question for killers

Is it normal now to run three slow down perks? I was away from the game for months and I keep seeing this in red ranks. I just want to know if I've had a string of weird luck or if its normal now and I should maybe adjust accordingly? Thank you for your time.

Comments

• RocketPenguin
    RocketPenguin Member Posts: 374

The meta rn is ruin, bbq/discordance, undying, tinkerer. Which is actually 1 slowdown perk with undying so i guess its kinda 2 and then its 2 tracking perks.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651

It's advantageous to run slowdown perks because survivors that want to win will do what they're supposed to : pound gens and end the game ASAP. The slowdown perks give the killer time to build actual pressure via hooks and downs, which further slows the game down by actually getting people off gens.

You can get far more mileage out of them, much more reliably, in terms of time saved than running something like a chase perk or tracking perk which you may or may not even need.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

I don't, but it's pretty normal.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,220

I only usually run two slowdown perks on most of my killers, but that's mainly because I like Utility and Info perks a lot. Gen defence is really important as a killer though, as it directly impedes the survivor's main objective and gives you more time to, well, kill them. The meta combo right now is Ruin + Undying + Pop (in case all the totems go).

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

It's normal to find that up there, yeah.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

Well, I would say no, it's not normal for survivors to use perks that let them heal faster or repair gens faster. I rarely see survivor perk that does either of those things, to be honest. I see tons of self care, which is so slow it causes me to lose a lot of games, and I rarely see Prove Thyself. Most people are TERRIFIED to play injured, so I NEVER see Resilience or This Is Not Happening. I sometimes run Stake Out when I've prestiged someone and I have nothing else.

As I said, I wasn't being salty. I was just surprised to see THREE in so many of my games lately.

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593

The way things are currently, you are required to run 1 of 2 perk builds:

1. Multiple slowdown perks to stop the survivors from leaving in 5 minutes.
    2. Multiple chase and tracking perks to kill all the survivors in 5 minutes.

Games are ending faster and faster every day.

• meatisadelicacy

Yeah I understand. I have more than 1000 hours in the game. I'm just surprised to see three so often these days. After being away for months, the game is definitely different. I am seeing a lot of Corrupt, Pop, and Thrilling along with BBQ.

• meatisadelicacy

I'm actually not seeing that a lot, so that's interesting. I wonder if it's a console vs PC thing. I keep seeing Pop, Corrupt, and Thrilling along with BBQ.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I run Corrupt... does that count?

And Sloppy.... does that count?

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Thrilling isn't a slowing perk, it only affects gens that AREN'T being worked on and doesn't regress them, it's an information tool very similar to BBQ.

Multiple slowing perks isn't uncommon because the biggest issues killers face is gen speed, and rather than actually do anything to balance that at a base level, the devs would prefer to add 60 different bandaids. Most other perks provide comparable benefit or more fun ways of interacting with the game as killer, but nothing really beats the tangible benefit of adding time and breathing room to the game.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651

Well, Thrilling Tremors is more of an information perk than a slowdown perk. Lets you know specifically what gens to run to next. The only reason it works as a slowdown perk IMO is that people expect barbeque when they see someone go down, and get off the gen only to have it blocked when you pickup.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

I wouldn't use more than 2 in any given build. That leaves a lot of doors for weaknesses in other areas. The basis of any good Killer build is;

Regression Perk / Awareness Perk / Synergy Perk / Free Slot

Regression Perk; This Perk is what balances gen speed in the game. It can help prevent gen rush.

Awareness Perk; To be able to find/track survivors and/or their movements. Use it to keep the game flowing.

Synergy Perk; This perk synergizes well with other perks, or the Killer's power/playstyle. Use it to optimize your strengths.

Free Slot; Normally goes to another Synergy perk. Though really it's up to you and where your own strengths lie, what you prefer, and what your good at using.

I don't remember seeing 3 regression perks in a single build in months in red ranks. Most follow the above system.

• meatisadelicacy

I always saw a good amount of Pop at higher ranks so that doesn't seem any different to me. Ruin also seems normal but not a lot of Undying. Are you on PC? I'm on console so I wonder if it's different.

• RocketPenguin
    RocketPenguin Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2020

Well that build i put is the best possible killer build rn. Doesnt always mean people will run it just like DS unbreakable is the most meta but most survivors dont even use it. That build your showing is some of the most popular killer perks, though im suprised thrilling is there too i don't see/use that much.

Personally my favorite killer build is BBQ, enduring, sloppy, A slow down perk.

Dont notice build diff in console or PC though

• meatisadelicacy

I find gen repair goes a lot faster when I'm actually able to repair them. Thrilling both slows down gens and gives the killer information.

• meatisadelicacy
  • Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828

you have to, or the game's over in 5-6 mins.. trust me killers would love to be able to run less boring perks

• meatisadelicacy

I hear ya. It just seems different from when I last played so I wasn't sure if I was getting the same few killers or if it was meta now.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

If you're playing against a set up killer like Trapper, Hag, Demogorgon, or Myers expect some variation of Corrupt Intervention/Ruin/Undying or some other perks to slow down the game while they set up.

On other killers that run slowdown they're losing the upper hand with the perks (even something as simple and cheeky as spirit fury/enduring) and they're stuck in their base kit. Them running slowdown can be a blessing. The true way to counter ruin/undying is to stick on your gen and not get off of it until it's complete. That's the secret in the sauce.

YOU'LL NEVER MAKE ME DO TOTEMS AHAHAHAHA

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

Only one of those is an actual regression perk though. Corrupt blocks gens at the start of the game, trying to zone survivors. Thrilling and BBQ are for tracking/finding survivors. Thrilling just blocks gens and doesn't regress them. Actually while blocking Gens they pause regression till they are unblocked.

That's a common build that's easy to work around though. Optimize on the particular Killer's weaknesses because they didn't take a perk to cover their weaknesses. Items come in hand against builds that just utilize the most popular perks. Same with knowing map layout, and distracting the killer - no more than 2 survivors on a single gen.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Its very common to see multiple slowdown perks on killers with no innate slowdown like the Hag/Deathslinger/Huntress/Demo/Clown/Wraith/ You get the point.

The game is currently too balanced around killers either having one slowdown perk on a killer with innate slow down or multiple slowdown killers on those who don't.

There's also the rampage builds but those are killer specific and are high risk/High reward.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Yes. Sadly, it is severe overkill against Solo Que, strangling them, but it is necessary to be on par with Red Rank SWF. That is the balance issue facing the game.

• TruffleTurtle
    TruffleTurtle Member Posts: 614

Its normal but I usually don't these are my builds for the killers I use

Legion: bbq, brutal strength, thanathopia, ruin/ nurses

Hag: nurses, monitor/franklins, stbfl, make your choice/devour

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It depends on the killer, but generally yeah. It's like how the survivor meta is to run full second-chance builds - when that's the strongest thing you can do, people do it. Also, not shitting on second chance builds, but if anyone reading this plays like that, at least consider swapping one of them out for an info perk if you're solo.

• DFP
    DFP Member Posts: 156

M'not in red ranks, but given what I've seen and heard from this end one to two is the norm now to counter quick gen play. Apparently ya'll are too good at it and it's necessary to have a fighting chance. :)

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
  • CaptainRaider
    CaptainRaider Member Posts: 151

Yes. I play both sides and as survivor if the killer doesn’t have ruin + undying it makes me want to DC, here’s why; as a killer, no matter how quick your chases are or how well you play the gens will pop w a semi-competent team. There is no possible way for you to pressure any gen without gen defense. The only way to win is to play like a POS; camp, slug, and tunnel. To AVOID playing like this ruin+undying simply rewards you for playing well i.e taking the correct chases, being efficient, and pushing survivors off gens. This combo is NOT a substitute for being good in chases and finding survivors.

SO ergo as a survivor I KNOW the killer will likely play fairly if they have this setup. This allows an overall fun experience as a solo queue/ SWF even if I don’t escape.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

It depends on the killer I’m using. I won’t won’t use but one or two for killers like Cannibal or Trapper. With Clown I will use three.

• Bard
    Bard Member Posts: 657

Yes.

Gen speeds are, and always have been, absurd, and any competent survivor can play chases safely enough that you don't even get a chance to down them until the game is over.

You need to dedicate most of your build to slowdown.

• vanhoya
    vanhoya Member Posts: 57

I run surge and pop together because I hate the rng involved in hex perks. I would rather not run 2 gen slowing perks but find that I have no choice because of gen speeds.

I'm thinking of going ruin/undying with pop and tinkerer (Use pop if ruin goes down).

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

You couldn't just answer the question. You had to add your both sides spin to it.

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408

Ruin undying is the new dice roll combo for more time as killer.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

The only perk I see killers use a lot is bbq. Followed by undying w something combo.

Everything else is random.

• zoozoom6
    zoozoom6 Member Posts: 825

not running at least one meta slowdown perk slow down perk is always a loss thats just where the game is now

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

When I don't feel like kicking gens, I've done Thana, Sloppy, & Ruin. Have yet to really play around with Undying, but I'm still maxing out everyone at a slow pace. Generally though, I run Pop.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Depends on the skill level of the player tbh.

For me running 3 slow down perks as killer means you are likely to be one of those who needs the extra time to kill. Whereas there are people who don’t feel like they need slow down perks if at all.

For context, My build as Trapper (in red ranks) consists of STBFL|Sloppy|Whispers| Nurses And I am constantly getting 3ks with some 4ks thrown in there.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

I think I heard mention somewhere that they where going to disallow multiple slowdown perks from being stacked. Not sure if this is still going to be a thing or even if it's still in the pipeline. I forget where I heard it too? Does anyone else remember this?