How does vertical distance affect range based perks?

Options

For certain perks, Devour Hope for example, the killer has to be a certain distance away from the hook for it to result in a token/effect. At the same time, on certain maps like Haddonfield, Springwood, even MacMillan's Ironworks with the really tall building, there can be a huge vertical distance (basement to 2nd floor) between the rescue hook and the killer, (with almost no horizontal difference).

How Is this vertical distance actually measured for any range-based perk (assuming that aura-reading perks use the same range-finding algorithm) ?

1. Is it measured in a direct straight line, i.e. disregarding any and all obstacles in the path" and if so what points are used for the measurement:
    1. is it from the "floor" level of the killer to the "floor" level of the hook?
    2. from the tip of one outline (killer) that is the closest to the tip of the other (survivor) outline, giving a potential 2 meter difference.
  2. or is it somehow measured by taking the shortest possible traversable path between 2 different map points, i.e. path that excludes parts of inaccessible "open" air aside from those small parts of buildings?
    1. This seems unlikely but not impossible given the fact (only from what I read and seen, not 100% this is the case) the Nurse has a hard time blinking diagonally upwards into 2nd floor of buildings from the outside through open air (but can still do so when looking up inside those buildings).

Comments

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

It is absolutely NOT #2. I think that it's actually just horizontal distance, but I could be wrong about that

• Bootlegmoth
    Bootlegmoth Member Posts: 290
    Options

I think its like a sphere. So with devour hope, there is a 32m sphere with the hook at the centre. So if you go up stairs you are still within distance.

I know the terror radius distance is, that's why the doctor can make you scream on both floors of the game, so I think it's the same concept