What are your opinions on Spine Chill?

I play both sides, but I'm more of a survivor main. I've ran Spine Chill before, and it's just so easy to counter stealth killers. Honestly, it seems unfair. I feel like Spine Chill almost punishes the killer for playing as a stealth killer. I mean, what's the point of being stealthy if survivors know when you're coming towards them? Where's the fun in that?

Answers

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

I love Spine Chill as Survivor. That being said, it does what it does a bit too good and should be tweaked a tiny little bit to make it less gamebreaking for Stealth Killers. While there IS counterplay to it, it´s incredibly dumb to execute given the huge range the perk has.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785

It's a perk that in my opinion, is the strongest in the game and needs a nerf of some sorts, I use it in my build all the time just because of how much value it provides.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060

I wouldn't say strongest in the game, but it's definitely overtuned. It's basically the "Freddy" of perks.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

It can't be nerfed without Stealth being nerfed. I played a lot of GF and free grabs is just... OP. If I ever snowballed a match without them ever having a chance as him, it's when people weren't running Spine Chill.

I think speaker users is part of the issue though. I never hear Myer's breathing for example. Or GF noises. Looking around doesn't work since many gens have walls next to them.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I love Spine Chill, and I can't play survivor without it. It's a strong heads-up vs. stealth killers, but it doesn't tell you what angle they're coming from, etc. This perk is not a substitute for situational awareness. I've still gotten rolled by plenty of Ghostface and Myers players, even with this perk.

• VexTheHex

I literally touched on this in my actual comment. You just read what triggers you and ignore the rest. I said if Spine Chill got nerfed, Stealth would likely need nerfed as well. Most gens are around large sight blockers on at least a couple sides and some are pretty much walled in. As someone who played a ton of GF, it's not hard to not be seen. I have never personally heard GF or Myer's sound ques. And judging off the amount of grabs I do get as GF and mirror Myers (haven't done that one is ages though), I don't think it's a me issue. Personally I wonder if players using speakers don't get the sound ques.

For me, Spine Chill is the make or break for stealth killers. Either get grabbed or get a warning they are coming. And stealth killers have a counter play to Spine Chill! It's called moonwalking and some pro GF players do this. Just as you said Victor foot trapping hooks has counterplay and thus needs no changes... Spine Chill has counterplay and therefore needs no changes. ;P

• JimbusCrimbus

No, it wouldn't need to be nerfed. At all. Period. Any other answer is wrong.

EVERY stealth killer has sound queues. Directional ones that can be heard on the other side of walls. I'm not saying remove it's detection, I'm saying give it a cooldown. It NEEDS a cooldown. It's completely overtuned. If you rely on it, that's a you problem. I don't remember the last time I died to a stealth killer, and I don't run Spine Chill. I have eyes and ears.

• VexTheHex

You're too bull headed for a reasonable conversation. Maybe you don't remember dying to a stealth killer cause you're a killer main? I witness team wipes against Clown at Rank 1 all the time. No way someone has never seen Wraith, GF, Myers, Pig, or Spirit (old Prayer Beads was super busted) kill them.

• JimbusCrimbus
    edited December 2020

You're the one suggesting that stealth needs to be nerfed because survivors don't know how to use their eyes and ears. I've never specifically stated what I main - but the second you made the assumption that I'm a killer main, you forfeited the argument. Good day. You've got nothing, and will continue to have nothing.

Yep, I'm the "bull headed" one.

• WraithBaby
    WraithBaby Member Posts: 15

I think it would be more balanced if Spine Chill's distance was reduced. You get notified when the killer is looking in your direction at a distance of 36 meters... That's more than the average terror radius. To me that is super busted. If you know that far ahead of time, you can creep off of a gen without leaving scratch marks and be gone before the killer ever get to you.

• JimbusCrimbus

That would be a start, but I still think it offers too much. The speed increases on vaults/actions should be their own perk, to be fair.

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

It needs looking into. A change I recommend is making it not work through walls. It only triggers when the Killer sees a Survivor clearly.

This makes the Perk work against Stealth Killers as intended and not against everyone. It also provides Stealth Killers an opportunity to play it by closing the gap first before stalking/ambushing a Survivor.

• WraithBaby
    WraithBaby Member Posts: 15

I was just thinking of the way it affects stealth killers. It just seems like it's punishing to play as a stealth killer when you go against spine Chill. I do see where you're coming from though.

• VexTheHex

Almost every gen is behind a wall or sight blocker. It'd be useless.

• JimbusCrimbus

It would still have vault/action speed.

If you're relying on spine chill to go against stealth killers, it really is a tell of your experience and skill, my dude. No offence of course.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

I think it shouldn't work when the killer's undetectable, but other than that, I don't really have a problem with it.

I notice that survivors who run it tend to be easily spooked off of actually accomplishing things-- that perk lights up for more than half a second, and they're running halfway across the map regardless of if the killer looking their way was completely accidental.

And I like it, but don't run it myself, because I don't wanna become reliant on it-- i'd rather hone my senses and situational awareness. Same reason I don't run Sprint Burst or anything like that, 'cause I don't wanna become reliant on 150% movement to get away from the killer.

• VexTheHex
    edited December 2020

Remove vault speed and actions speed then. It's meant to alert you of a killer approaching. The symbol is literally a cat.

If you can't get stealth grabs or get close enough for a easy M1 with the stealth killers, it tells a lot about your skill level. No offense of course. Guess we can agree you suck at stealth killers and I suck vs stealth killers?

• JimbusCrimbus

It's meant to alert you of a killer approaching. "Undetectable" also means "undetectable".

There I can use that broken logic too. Except mine is more solid.

I also don't rely on Spine Chill, cause I'm actually good at survivor.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

The way I see it, the Survivor used a perk slot that could've been spent on something more powerful. Maybe now they won't have DS or BT which have much more potential to swing games in their favor. I'm just saying I would rather face solo Survivors with Spine Chill than a SWF with all second-chance perks.

Btw if you suspect a Survivor has Spine Chill, you can turn your camera slightly to the side when approaching gens to counter it.

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

It would still have it’s main use of countering Stealth Killers (predominantly stalking Killers), but yes it will be weaker.

That’s the point of the suggestion, to make it weaker than it’s current state. It’s too flexible in use, affects all Killers instead of the ones it’s designed to counter, and is a strong meta pick. Taking it down a notch would spice up the meta, possibly bring underused Perks into play, and provide suitable counter-play.

• JimbusCrimbus
    edited December 2020

It really is a good suggestion. I think what @VexTheHex's problem is, is that they seem like the type of person to get a Spine Chill proc, and then disappear from the tile (hello boring killer games, even as a non stealth killer).

Your change would still allow a counter to stalking, which would be perfectly fine.

• VexTheHex

No. It would lose it's whole purpose. It's not that useful against regular Killers. It's only useful for stealth based killers or killers running Monitor and Abuse on a low terror killer like Deathslinger or Hag.

It's a strong meta perk for solos. We want to nerf solos more even though they already get butchered by somewhat competent killers?

• JimbusCrimbus

Yeah, you've made it more than obvious that you rely on Spine Chill at this point. I see no point in wasting more time trying to tell you why you're wrong - which you are. If you don't want to get better at the video game, that's a personal problem. When it gets nerfed/reworked, and it will, I'll be here to @ you about it.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

I use it with resilience, they save me a lot of times, and also makes stealth killers less powerful

• Laurie_Struddle
    Laurie_Struddle Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2020

I know I'm gonna get kinda yelled at but as a rank 2 survivor (currently) I think SC is mid tier. it's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not that great and when you have something else you could use instead like let's say unbreakable or WGLF it becomes kind of a wasted perk slot imo. Yes it's good, yes, it's still better than 70% of the niche perks you can have, but it's value isn't that impactful in red ranks. SC activates, you walk and hide, and the killer is good so he still finds you. Used to happen a lot when I used the perk a lil bit. So idk I might not be the best here to talk about it but I'm still rank 2 and I think it's alright at most.

• VexTheHex

I do rely on it, never said I didn't. I even said why I rely on it. I literally don't hear the sounds. I don't ignore them. I don't hear them. Whether it's a speaker v headphone issue or just my hearing. I don't hear the sounds of GF or Myers. Well Myers when he is 100% on top of me but it's too late then. You're just so busy trying to prove how your view point is the only right one and everything else is wrong to actually read.

It probably will get nerfed. It is meta for solo survivors and killers mains like to cry as much as survivor mains to get things nerfed. Maybe when Wraith gets his rework it'll happen. And then solos will be even weaker as people get yoinked off gens for instant hooks.

• JimbusCrimbus

If you rely on a perk, as killer or survivor, you shouldn't have that perk. If you develop a reliance on a perk and can't win without it, it's because you're not good. I rely on nothing. I actually tend to play better with no perks at all (I don't level up all my survivors, because they are all reskins, and often play random ones that have no perks). I'm aware this comes with experience, but the fact that you called MY skill into question when you literally admit to RELYING on Spine Chill. No. Just no.

You lost this debate the second you admitted that. Get better at the video game, then you're qualified to call my skill into question. Period. I win, end of story.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

Spine chill isn’t the perk that needs to be reworked. It’s the “undetectable” status that needs to do what its called.

• VexTheHex

You're still so stuck up on proving how much better you are to actually offer respectable conversation. Too busy trying to push how god like you are to never die to stealth killers and tell me how trash I am. Even when I concede on points you simply latch onto something else to push your superiority complex out.

I admit I rely on it cause of sounds issues.

But only BAD stealth killers get sighted. There is always sight blockers near gens.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

The range is to large, I know a killer is coming before the TR even starts to play.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I think it's a fine perk. I don't like how effective it is agaisnt stealth killers, specifically Ghostface and Myers. Both of them cannot avoid its effects thanks to their need to stalk, unlike Wraith and Pig, but thematically it makes sense.

• MythMage
    MythMage Member Posts: 521

Easily the best survivor perk in the game (except for bullshit perks like Decisive Crutch and Unbreakable, but ######### those perks)

• JimbusCrimbus

I don't have to prove anything. I just am better. I don't rely on perks to escape as survivor. Are my chances of escaping higher? Sure, but do I rely on them to get the job done? No.

• VexTheHex

You better actually play as Jeff to cause you're a literally the best and rely on nothing but raw skill. Play the big and loud boy and don't rely on the silence of Ace or the small bodies of the ladies or the natural stealth of Claudette.

A true god.

• JimbusCrimbus
    edited December 2020

I main Bill. Easier on the wallet.

My survivor build is WGLF, Small Game, Hope and Wake Up.

Nothing that actively helps my gameplay before my objective is done. Been running that build for like 2 years now. I don't rely on perks to do what my eyes, ears and skill at the game can do for me. Unlike some.

• Exar
    Exar Member Posts: 46

I think that Spine chill is a very good perk to counter Spirit. You can tell if Spirit is looking in your direction when phase walking, you can easily juke her with scratch marks. The perk is also good to counter stealth killers e.g Ghost face or Pig. Overall i think this is a very good perk.

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378
    edited December 2020

What is this Clown statement? Literally ignore content in the game and the 4 perks slots the game provides? Maybe I should play blindfolded next, if I can't win a game without sight than I'm relying on a crutch. Seriously, piss off with your superiority complex.

On topic, Spine chill is pretty good. Especially if you're running a build without any healing, it can give you plenty of time to get to a desirable position.

• JimbusCrimbus

Spine Chill user spotted.

I'm not saying ignore perks. I'm saying if you literally rely on a perk, as that person literally admitted they did, they then aren't good at the game.

It's not a superiority complex. I don't reply on perks, and therefore, I am better at the game. Kind of comes with the territory, and experience.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

Spine Chill is average, at best, outside of vault build.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited December 2020

Spine Chill + Resilience, that became incredibly popular because of how common it was to get dedicated when the servers came out, for like 6 months. It increases vault speeds in chases while injured by 15%.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 954

I used to run it 24/7 on survivor, the information can be invaluable and it's really great for that. I don't care as much as the action speed compared to the info.

But I've been using it a crutch for too long, and I'm trying to play much more often without it. Take off the training wheels and get some better gamesense, y'know?

• Wesker09
    Wesker09 Member Posts: 159

People wanting to nerf spine chill, lmao I have to laugh

• Trashmaster
    Trashmaster Member Posts: 357

Spinechill hasn't been really changed much in...well, ages. You know why? Because it's fine, it has a solid ability but isn't really abusable or very powerful compared to the old meta-perks you could be running instead. Devs should definitely do something about premonition though, because it is just absolute garbage

• bluedusef
    bluedusef Member Posts: 288

I would agree on a cooldown for spine chill. against stealthy killers, its so easy to play against.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

Yeah get some better game sense against that scratched mirror Myers / ghost face that sent you to Lerys. Or maybe against that monitor + abuse slinger about to come around the corner already in range to shoot you.

I think it’s the best perk in the game for survivor hands down. You don’t need a million second chance perks if you are not going down in the first place.