Is BBQ & Chili the biggest crutch perk for killers?

Chrisko
Chrisko Member Posts: 288
edited January 2021 in General Discussions

Which perk is the one that Killers can't live without?

As I understand the term "crutch perk", it is a perk that people can't live without and tend to rely on the most. It is currently the most popular perk for killers. Don't take the term personally.

Note: If you want to talk crap about survivors, start another discussion. No whatabout-ism please...

Comments

• Chrisko
    edited January 2021

BTW...thanks in advance for all the replies.

• Alphamav
    Alphamav Member Posts: 44

Yup. Just locker-up or get close before hook. It's good counter-balance to SWF-Perk-5.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,892

i don’t mean to sound critical but even though BBQ and chili is a greatly designed perk it should get looked at if 90% of the killers are using it if it’s getting used by 90% of all killers that’s a sign somethings wrong now don’t get me wrong survivors have the same thing with DS but IMO if a perk is used 90% of the time and I see it every game it should get looked at

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

Yikes. So many killers here getting offended by the use of the word “crutch”. The truth is, yes, most killers I run into do in fact use this perk, and it does make me wonder how much a lot of them depend on it. Probably a fair amount, but probably not as much as it would if we took NOED from some and Whispers from others. Everybody has their favorites, but some are clearly more popular than others.

• Alphamav
    Alphamav Member Posts: 44

Not one member of my SWF group runs with DS, that I've seen. I'm also mainly the one that runs BT, and sometimes UB, because I felt an affinity to Bill since I started a couple months ago and didn't even know he had two of the most desirable Perks until I started reading these forums. We mainly Perk-tune for dailies and rifts.

• Chrisko

The post is about which perk killers can't live without and rely on most. The post is not about getting rid of BBQ or anything like that. Take a breath.

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576

The reason many players uses it is because of the bloodpoints not because of the power level of the aura reading. Make the bloodpoints passive for Killers with no perks attached to it and i Will use thrilling tremors above BBQ.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,548
  • BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

Take a breath? You know i can take tons of stuff, like the broken matchmaking, auto aim, and other stuff, but anything negative towards my double bloodpoints and ######### just hits the fan....

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I know its not all survivors, but the aura reading has been gradually reduced, because survivors complained about it.

I have no doubt, that when enough survivors complain about it, the devs will do something about BBQ.

• Aquamarine
    Aquamarine Member Posts: 207

I think crutch is something that saves you when you fail, as in, last resort. Noed is a crutch (still, Noed is fine and there's nothing wrong about using it). BBQ rewards you when you have already succeeded (hooked a survivor) AND it rewards for not camping aka not picking the easiest option. It's not a crutch, but a very good perk and therefore killers use it.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

BBQ is literally two perks in one. But what is really interesting about it, is that even if it were indeed 2 separate perks (one for tracking and another for bp), both would still be S-tier. It's strange that they never thought about nerfing it.

Survivors have a similar perk for bloodpoints: We're Gonna Live Forever. But that one only gives bp stacks, and nothing else: it doesn't give any actual gameplay functionality like BBQ does. And I'm not even reminding that it takes a lot of sweat to get all 4 stacks on WGLF while you can always get all 4 stacks on BBQ without sweating much, since you only have to hook survivors once.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I only use BBQ if I want more BP or I have a very mobile killer. Any other time I prefer Whispers for tracking.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,832

Only because a Perk is used a lot does not mean that it should be nerfed. Like, when Ruin got reworked the usage was ONE aspect, but not the only aspect why it got reworked.

The only annoying thing about BBQ is that its purpose is to encourage Killers to go for other Survivors, but a Killer who just camps the first person to death or tunnels them off hook two times is still able to get a meaty amount of Bonus-BPs. Its like promising a Kid a reward for cleaning up their room and giving it to them anyway when their room is still a mess.

But I doubt that there is anything that can be done about that which is reasonable (Stuff like only gaining Stacks while all Survivors are alive would be an option, but this would mean that Survivors can simply kill themselves to deny BBQ-Stacks or that a Killer cannot take advantage of a weak link if they want to get all Stacks, despite not tunneling that person).

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

Oh, I missed that buff then. But it's still crap, comparing to BBQ.

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554

Especially when it has some pretty clearly defined counters that are not hard to pull off.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,140

Yeah, I doubt anyone runs WGLF because of the gameplay perk :D

Although it does really come in handy when it is needed, especially against a slugging Twin but that's far too niche of a situation to justify running WGLF for anything but the Double BP

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 995

BBQ is a very balanced perks with many different counterplays, like jumping in a locker, hiding behind gen aura, go within terror radius, stand completely still for 4 seconds then move, move in one direction for 4 seconds then turn around etcetc

It also helps with the massive grind, that this game is. Only change I'd make to it, is to remove the aura of slugged survivors, since it reduces the risk of slugging survivors, especially encourages slugging for the 4k, since the odds of finding the slug is pretty big. Probably an unpopular opinion, but that's the only thing I don't like about BBQ.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

I would consider survivors to have more crutch perks than killers (DH, DS, BT) tbh. Killer meta is currently Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer so I guess these could be considered crutch perks because they are a great build.

I think crutch is more of a perk that makes up for lack of skill and/or experience. Locating survivors takes experience but newer players will utilize Whispers to help point them in the right direction. Overreliance on Whispers will effectively act as a crutch because killers will never learn to find survivors under normal circumstances.

Would BBQ be considered crutch? It gives you a brief idea of where people are but it doesn't help you in the immediate area. By the time you get there they may have moved far away as it'll take you 9-10 seconds to get over there. I would say this is a better information (and BP earning) perk rather than crutch. It informs you to analyze and make decisions

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

Lol where did I say I “hated” it? It has easy counters but It is what it is. Stop getting offended so easily so because it’s being pointed out that most killers rely upon it in every round they play.

• Akito
    Akito Member Posts: 673

I agree that sometimes it becomes a little bit annoying that every time you're not in a locker or 40 meters you know that the killer knows. even if you tried to reach a locker or the 39 meter. And yea sometimes I wished it wasn't in 100% of the games and I could just be anywhere without the killers knowledge.

But I also play killer and bbq fixes camping. You get a hint where someone is at and you can make a play. You can go on, go for a new chase. And I find it okay that >The< Killer who owns the map knows what's going on. He knows where to go, what to do. I dig that.

conclusion: It's still fine

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2021

If you believe a perk is being played all the time against you wouldn't you play in a way that counters it thereby limiting it's effect and making it less playable? There are perks (whispers and lightborn) that are much more crutchy because of the lack of counters in scenarios the killer will force.

• Nossy
    Nossy Member Posts: 118

Little tip for you and other survivors who dont know/dont play killers. The best counter to BBQ aura reading is just hide behind a non finished gen in the angle the killer hook. Simple as that.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited January 2021

*looks at ruin+undying; pop; corrupt*

*then looks at dead hard, DS, unbreakable, sprint burst*

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,672

No?

BBQ is an easy perk to fool and/or hide from. While its tracking is useful, it could be substituted easily for Thrilling Tremors, for example. Of course, then you have the extra BP in a VERY grind-heavy game with a useful (if counterable) in-game effect, you get the most picked perk in the game.

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

I don’t know why people fall for this though most of the time even if they’re crouching you can still see their head.

• Klakky
    Klakky Member Posts: 444

I use it for bloodpoints, most of the time I forget I have it and don't look around for auras lol

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252

Yeah,If It did not have more Bp pre Kill..I would run thrilling or something else..But,that grind for BP is too much..Hell,If they removed the Arua But gave tripple the BP..I would use It

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

I use this perk even with Pyramid only for the BP. If it didn'tt have that effect i wouldnt bother using it with i think any killer.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Fun fact: WGLF was released before BBQ and had a 200% bonus.

It was nerfed, because survivors farmed their teammates so hard.

Also WGLF stacks are easier to get than BBQ stacks. A survivor can get 3 stacks in 1 unhook.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,892

I agree if they added that bloodpoint bonus to base kit then we can finally free up a perk slot

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,820

Yeah these killers using these crutch perks to help against the leveling this game has.

• Nossy
    Nossy Member Posts: 118

Then you face new players most of the time who dont know the good angle and do the gen instead of crouching, not the same hitbox.

Thats exactly for this purpose that aura color was matched with gen colors (they were orange before).

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/120157/generators-should-not-block-bbq-auras/p1

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

Do you even play the same game as i am? WGLF also has 2 effects. I agree that it is not as easy to get the extra bp as BBQ but to say that it has no in-game effect is being intentionally blind, it is very useful.

• Callmehandsome
    Callmehandsome Member Posts: 529

I'm assuming you haven't used WGLF as you don't know it's functions. It's extremely good perk if you face slugging killer.