Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Petition to Prevent Late Second Item Switching for Survivors

hydra_
hydra_ Member Posts: 7
edited January 2021 in General Discussions

Late second switching is a dick move, survivors (especially SWF in red ranks) switch items last seconds before match starts to get the upper hand (bringing keys or map) or just straight up bully the killer (4-man flashlight).

What I want is for killer to have a window of seconds to change their perks/addons to at least counter survivors (perks like franklin's/agitation/infectious fright = counter flashlight plays, hex: retribution/ or just not bringing totems = counter maps etc.)

Maybe DBD should lock survivors item and perks at the 15 second countdown, which gives the killer 10 seconds to change the perks they want or just dodge the lobby or whatever.

#StopBullyingKillers

Comments

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054

I just go on a tunnel spree if they last second switch. They get what they deserve if they do that.

• hydra_

I encounter that sometimes, an ultra rare key will pop out of nowhere.

• km66
    km66 Member Posts: 111

Petition to disallow killers from seeing the items survivors have. That’s more fair.

• halfmanhalfape
    halfmanhalfape Member Posts: 153

I agree that last minute changing of items is a dick move. I’d be ok with no switching items in the last 15secs.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2021

I'm not sure why some don't simply dodge the lobby when one of them isn't readying up to avoid this and wasting the minute waiting to start the game. Killers in the area I play at least should be getting a match within 15 or 20 seconds by night in the area I play. When not in just a few seconds sometimes even. You could literally cherry pick your lobbies right now, while those survivors have to sit in longer queues at least at night around here just to have to wait for another killer every time they try and pull that shiff. Punish them for it by dodging them, it'll eventually deter the behavior at least in some of them.

When you sit through it, and don't alt+f4 or homescreen+close app on consoles before the offerings screen closes after they swap out you only reward that behavior. About the offering screen thing, they did it every time they saw a hidden offering from the killers before moris were taken out of the game, so don't feel any remorse doing it yourself when they pull the switcheroo on yoo. What goes around eventually comes around. If the devs didn't do anything about it when they did that to you, then the old adage "if you can't beat em join em" becomes the only sensible reaction. When it suddenly becomes no longer acceptable only after killers start doing it to survivors, then their bias becomes crystal clear with no ability to talk their way out of how apparent it would be.

• Azeroth
    Azeroth Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2021

Killer shouldnt doging lobby. Even better, killer shouldnt seen survivors in the lobby ;)

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264

Yeah it's such a cheap move I've asked them to lock survivor's into the lobby just as killer's are and they should as you suggested, lock their items at 15 seconds possibly at 20 secs,I would prefer.

• SocialDistomancy
    edited January 2021

The queues for survivors would be so long afterward you would begin to wonder if time's arrow suddenly pointed in the other direction while you were in the middle of waiting for a lobby.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

I've beaten this to death in a bunch of topics....

It should be changed, but the devs refuse to even acknowledge the issue.

They literally do not care.

• hydra_

I think not all survivors purposely not readying up for a late second change, at-times they are just afk. Also, some killer doesn't know how to dodge without penalty, including me (I recently learn it through this thread), so I thought locking only the survivors perks & item at 15 seconds countdown will probably lessen the SWF bullies somehow, if they decided to bring 3 flashies and a key, bringing a juicy franklin's will surely ruin their fun.

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474

I've always been under the impression (since the Killer lock) that everyones loadout should be locked as soon as they hit 'Find Match'. Not ready? Don't queue up...problem solved.

• Lyonic
    Lyonic Member Posts: 224

I always role with franklins if I see 3 or 4 items. I think it counts as a slowdown, as they tend to go back for the items. Sometimes they put themselves in really stupid situations to get an item back. The real issue is that you cant change killer anymore. 4 swf? all rocking flashlights? tilting cosmetics? time for bubba

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,175
    edited January 2021

I do this and I don't feel bad. I'm a solo que player 100% of the time.

If something like changing items at the last 10 seconds upsets you to the point that you quit the game, go ahead. 'I'll just make them waste time and get back into their 10-20m que'. Well its more like 3-7m (at least for me at red rank) and I don't mind it at all. Not like I lose my item. I think killers that do this think they're getting one off on the survivors, but its never been an issue for me and I just que right back up.

I'll keep doing this and killers who suck/can't play around it, will continue to d/c in loading screens. Its fine. Keep doin you, pal.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I'm also solo queue and when survivor queue times are long I don't really appreciate the match getting cancelled because a teammate last second switched to blendette with a key and threw on a haddonfield offering for good measure.

• Raccoon
    edited January 2021

Sucks that killers can't play around an unintended exploit to gain the upper hand.

Reminds me of all those killers that couldn't play around having their killer choice exposed before the game even began a while back.

Silly killers.

Props on giving everyone a valid reason to disregard anything you say in the future, though - It's always nice to have an early warning.

Post edited by Raccoon on
  • Volcz

Don't get so triggered, bud.

If you're good and confident, you'll play the match out and still perform well. If you take everything as an attack/disadvantage and act like a little baby because of it, I'd say the problem is your mindset, not the survivor's problem for taking advantage of how the lobby works.

Again, if you want to have a temper tantrum and leave the game b/c of something like that, go ahead.

Until they change it (which I doubt they will), it will continue to happen, not just by me but a lot of other survivors. If thats all it takes for you to throw a hissy fit and d/c, not on me.

• SocialDistomancy

well I just read the Friday the 13th devs are working on a new game with an IP they won't have to deal with threats of a lolsuit if they don't abandon it over, not to mention Saber is also working on an Evil Dead game and that one is supposed to be released sometime this year. Once that happens and survivors keep being selfish, entitled and refuse to change their tune in this game they could wind up with queues lasting over half an hour eventually if all the killers decide it's much more fun in that role in either or both of those games.

If it wasnt for the stupid legal threats after some copywrong change of hands, Friday the 13th was on course to put dead by dudelight into the dirt. It's too bad it didn't happen every time I read patchnotes or posts like yours. But this game will hopefully get the competition that it needs to straighten itself and it's survivor playerbase out either this year or when the F13 des' next game comes out without the legal bs issues F13th was killed by. Because F13 was by far the superior game, and it didn't even have the chance to reach it's full potential before that happened. I had way more fun in both roles on Friday the 13th and there were a lot more options in that game. And it actually felt like playing a game based on old horror flicks.

• Volcz

I agree man. I miss that game a ton. I played it so much when it first came out and loved every second of it. I revisit it from time to time and sometimes still have a blast in random lobbies (the few there are).

• Raccoon

Judging from your language, you seem to be upset.

No idea why you're talking about me leaving the game, though I suppose it helps your internal narrative.

That was quite the diatribe from someone that doesn't care about the balance and integrity of the game.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,790

I agree that it would be nice to let killers counter this somehow. Still, I don't think this is worth prioritizing since it is extremely rare in my experience. And, when it happens, I can counter it myself by tunneling the ######### out of whoever did it.

• notstarboard

F13 was not going to kill dbd. I was a different kind of game, and from what I can gather with substantially less depth and replayability. It struck me as a "try this one night and never touch it again" kind of game, rather than a "minutes to learn, months to master" sort of thing like DBD

• Volcz

Yea cause your judgement is always valid, right. You're the one upset, not me. Stop deflecting.

I could care less if you want to d/c over this. If its that important and pisses you off to the point of d/cing, to get one over the survivor(s) who do this, then keep doing it. Your mindset is part of the problem. Good killers and people who are confident in their skills, don't let things like this stop them from playing, will play the match out.

Never said I don't care about the integrity or balance of the game, although if that helps your 'internal narrative', I suppose roll with it.

• SocialDistomancy
    edited January 2021

lmfao, dbd is the game "lacking depth". You could kill Jason, a player could come back when killed and get another chance to save the others, you could hide well enough to win on that alone for those that enjoyed hiding more than holding m1 or 'looping' constantly, the objectives became dull like with any other game like if you wanted to get the car going but that's an issue with every game somebody plays too much. Jason being able to be fought back against, but still feeling powerful and fun to stalk around with already made it better than dbd in my book where all you do here is literal crouch and hide when a leech or creep around and hold m1 in a circle around the map unless you happen to be running around in a circle instead when seen. This game feels indie compared to what f13th was becoming, this game even looked like trash for almost 4 years straight until they finally began touching it up graphically so not only did it feel like it once you played it out dbd also looked like it until this year. F13 allowed to continue further development absolutely could have slain this game, and slapped it around like a red-headed stepchild if the stupid copywrong bs didn't get in the way of it.

Another important thing is that F13 was built around voice chat and that was included with the game, and the killer and survivor could hear each other too which provided more potential fun and while it could be abused also encouraged people to remember they were playing a video game and having fun and that the other side is a human being too. This game wasn't built around voice chat, so when it's used it's game breaking and the killer is excluded from ever using it tot heir Own advantage in any way only being subject to the abuse of it against themselves to gain the effects of numerous perks by premade teams freeing up slots for yet more perks for them. this game sucks compared to F13th. You also don't have to worry about a killer shortage when the killer is random in a game and that keeps devs encouraged to keep the killer fun to keep people wanting to play.

• Weeb_H_Toast
    Weeb_H_Toast Member Posts: 195

If killers can't survivors shouldn't be able to either, seems fair to me.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

This game would be more fun if you could only choose your killer/survivor, then when game starts your random perks, item and addons will be displayed.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

F13th Died long before the lawsuits. It failed to keep a playerbase which dwindled fast due to questionable dev choices.

The original F13th devs also already made a new IP which was predator hunting grounds which also has failed to keep a playerbase.

Like it or hate it DBD has been the only successful game of its kind and many have tried to compete over the years and each one has been labeled as one which will kill DBD.

• Raccoon

I don't recall stating that I, personally, leave matches for this reason, though based on your replies in this and previous topics, it's fairly obvious why you'd have such a combative mindset.

• notstarboard

Even if you find the gameplay simple, which I don't think is the case, DBD has close to 200 perks, a few dozen maps, two dozen killers, and like 20 or so add-ons for each killer. There is just so much to know if you want to play the game at a high level, and you need to stay current too because of the frequent content drops and balance changes. I'm not an expert in F13 but I don't think it had anything like that. As far as I know Jason had a handful of abilities and that was pretty much it. A few extra win conditions is not enough to hold interest for hundreds or thousands of hours.

DBD basically stops being a horror game after a bit, and then you're just playing the core game in a horror environment. The second Jason stops being scary I don't see how F13 is still worth playing.

• SocialDistomancy
    edited January 2021

tot he dude directly above, 200 perks with only about a dozen at the most on both sides really being worth using. so the rest don't count when they are too situational or practically a waste of the slot they're in. I'm done biting these hooks so I'm ignoring this thread from now on since I already know I'm right and don't need to argue over it.

• Volcz

Well you seem to have a problem with my take and want to condescend while assuming, so I figured I could do the same, yea? See how that works? Don't come at me and I won't either. This coming from the guy w/ 3.750k posts and has to defend every point religiously? Man your lack of self awareness is astounding, bravo.

• Raccoon
    edited January 2021

You're writing paragraphs about me leaving games, which are factually incorrect and irrelevant to the points being discussed - Of course I'd comment on them.

"Your mindset is part of the problem"

The mindset that attributes to the non-existent behavior you're ascribing to me?

Solid reasoning.

Personally, and of course this is just my crazy opinion, I think that most people that care about the game's balance and integrity don't consistently perform behaviors that undermine both.

• Volcz

No, I said 'you' in my posts, not directing it at anyone but in the general sense (if you actually go read my initial post and the reply after you wanted to condescend). I assumed after the fact you already assumed about me, if you give it, learn to take it buddy. You're the one who attacked my opinion and you're the one who spiraled this conversation. Of course I'm going to defend my opinion.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Understandable to a degree but I feel like Killer has a built in advantage being able to see the survivors and what items they are bringing.

Yes I get it, it doesn't really help if they all switch at the last second and you didn't have any time to switch out your items but still the Killer gets to see survivors and the items they are bringing while survivors are 100% oblivious until they see the killer in match.

Personally I wish killers couldn't see survivor items but this is because I wish I could bring a broken key with aura read add ons without killers going full hatred mode pre lobby.

Bottom line I think the way the lobbies work rn are weird for both sides. All I can say is if you're concerned about survivors switching last second, bring Franklin's Demise. Personally I'm not a fan of Lightborn if survivors bring flashlights I don't think flashlights are ever good at all. If everyone switches to flashlight last second they may as well be throwing lol.

Toolboxes on the other hand..

*worry intensifies*

• Volcz

'You' as in the general player, not someone specifically. I said 'you' in my first reply to this topic and somehow you took that as an attack on you specifically? What?

"If you take everything as an attack/disadvantage and act like a little baby because of it, I'd say the problem is your mindset, not the survivor's problem for taking advantage of how the lobby works."

"If its that important and pisses you off to the point of d/cing, to get one over the survivor(s) who do this, then keep doing it. Your mindset is part of the problem."

Please tell me you're not that self deluded to think I'm talking about you, specifically, Raccoon. Stop nitpicking. This isn't about you specifically.

I never once said I don't think its unbalanced or that I don't care about the integrity, that was you who decided to attribute that b/c you disagree with my opinion. You can disagree all you want, but if you attack my opinion and condescend while also assuming this, don't be surprised that the person defends their opinion.

• Righi
    Righi Member Posts: 19

I don't agree. How should that be a problem at all? I see the killer has already an edge over survivors because it can see them. Survivors on the other hand can't gear up based on who the killer is because they simply don't see it. Some perks could also turn much more useful against certain killers, for example Spine Chill against the Wraith, or torches to remove the Hag's traps.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Every time they do that I just dc on the loading screen. Have fun waiting 5+ minutes.

• Raccoon

Given that you were quoting and replying to me directly while continuing the conversation for several posts afterwards, you'll have to pardon my delusion.

I'm terribly sorry.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

There's something poetic about a users first post having "#stopbullyingkillers" with a Franklins Demise perk icon.

That said I agree with you OP. I'm surprised its been a thing for such a long time that I just see it as part of the game at this point. Thankfully items are a lot weaker than they used to be outside of medkits. You can still outwit flashlights pretty easily and toolboxes are nerfed pretty substantially.

• Raccoon

At least it won't be as egregious in certain scenarios once keys are nerfed (depending on what the nerf is).

• Volcz

My first reply to this topic wasn't quoting anyone. Its hard to notice, I guess. Very easy to misinterpret and make it about yourself, when no one even mentioned you specifically. Yes I quoted you after you quoted me. Yes. Again, you can disagree respectfully and maturely, you didn't. Thanks for the sarcastic sorry but you can keep it. I'm movin on, have a good day.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

I was hoping the with them remaking the item model/textures they would make a visibly difference between a broken key and a working key.

Should have had a broken key hanging off a chain or something. It seems like nowadays people sometimes bring a broken key to troll the killer into wasting a perk slot on Franklins or bringing a mori.

• hydra_

I literally created an account today just to bring out my little hatred LOL

• Raccoon

I dunno if dropping a perk for FD on account of one key is a good idea.

Maybe if they bring a key + another item.

The new map offerings that change hatch spawn also offer some interesting gameplay options if someone brings a key, as you can try to keep gens active near the new area to try and prevent a single (or multiple) hatch escape(s).

You can combine this offering with FD to puppy guard a key near the hatch spawn area if the game is going ok.

Not ideal, but it's a less boring option than tunneling someone with a key.