How to take off the Spine Chill training wheels?

Options

Good morning guys,

I've been playing this game since about September 2019, not sure how many hours in total but I'm a bit over level 5 devotion, for context.

I've played around with perks constantly and I never run any metas, but the one perk I've 100% never pulled out of my build is Spine Chill. My biggest weakness in the game is directional awareness, so I do use it to keep track of the killer approaching me as I'm bad at determining where they're coming from (unless they're in a complete dead zone, obviously).

I was wondering if anybody had tips for training myself to get comfortable without this perk? I want to free up a slot for other things and not have to rely on this to cover my weakness anymore.

Comments

• Trashmaster
    Trashmaster Member Posts: 357
    Options

Equip object instead, you'll be the most hated ######### around but it is a whole lot more powerful than spinechill

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554
    edited January 2021
    Options

Just equip another perk, you'll eventually get used to not using it.

Trust me, the game will be better for it, as well as more intense.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

The perk doesn't tell you from what direction they're approaching.

To answer your question:

• position yourself to have better field of view when working your gens.
    • turn your camera around to check your surroundings and especially line-of-sight blockers that could be used for a sneaky approach.
    • use your hears for sound cues. Every killer has some.
    • pay attention to the hud to see if a teammate is being chased or ceases to be chased (health status change, obsession indicator).

To smooth the transition, you can replace the perk with Bond.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2021
    Options

second the bond since it also helps you see others working on a gen to help them speed it up on the bigger maps

Post edited by SocialDistomancy on
  • Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,523
    Options

Situational awareness comes a lot from knowing the game - do you play killer at all? Because you can usually get an idea of which direction the killer is going to come from by working out the way the killer is playing. And the more you play killer you notice the consistencies.

Also, when you are on a gen, constantly look around you and have an "out" meaning, if you see the killer approaching from whichever direction - you know which direction you are going to run in, knowing your next move is always going to help you.

• stvnhthr
    stvnhthr Member Posts: 777
    Options

Run Diversion, it is better than Spine Chill in my book. It lets you know when the killer is close, not just looking in your direction. Tossing the pebble is just icing on the cake, the real strength is you know how close you are to the killer.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

I was stuck on the Spine Chill crutch myself for a while. I stopped using it when working through the Tomes. Those challenges that require the use of specific perks got me questioning what I could get rid of and still be able to play the match in a similar way to how I usually play and Spine Chill became the perk I felt I could swap out without changing my play style.

Lately I've been running Stake Out instead. It gives a bit of info when the killer is near by counting down for the stackies, it helps gen progression when you have stacks, and because of how vague the information is it helps train you to pay attention to your surroundings.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,126
    Options

When you are on a gen, look around more. Don't just sit on gen, with camera pointed one way. Constantly look around. Especially at the beginning of a match when you don't know which killer it is. Its a bit of multi tasking with constantly looking back and forth while also landing the skill checks, but you'll get used to it. Sure maybe at the start, you'll feel overwhelmed doing it if not used to it. But it will turn into a habit for you.

A lot of survivors don't do this and it sucks especially when I see it at red ranks. I'll be on a gen with Claudette and Myers shows up, and just starts charging his ability. I get off immediately, line of sight, but the Claudette stays on the gen and lets him get his ability incredibly fast, which leads to faster and more pressure from him. Awareness to killers, reading situations like if someone gets slugged and if you have enough time to go save them b/c killer got on someone else, etc. It all plays a part.

Just gotta get comfortable being uncomfortable.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

As a suggestion, you can put offerings for open maps so you can exercise visual awareness. Search for gens in elevated places or restricted access like the houses in Haddonfield/Preschool.

Also, before you start working on objectives that will require your periodic attention for skill checks, look around and trace some escape routes. You won't miss SC so much if you build your confidence by knowing your surroundings.

Sprint Burst can help you relocate in case you don't get a good grasp of the killer's position before they're too close.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,532
    Options

Personally, I would use Alert or Bond. They both give you a good feel of what the Killer is doing so you can determine if they’re coming for you or not

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302
    Options

I don’t consider spine chill training wheels at all.

There are a ton of situations in DBD where you are going to be ambushed without it, no matter how good your situational awareness.

The killer can equip many stealth perks, or just is a stealth killer, and plenty of generators are in tight areas with little to no visibility.

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

When I feel I've become reliant on spine chill again I'll drop it from my build and slowly filter it out with aura reading perks, starting with Alert and ending with Kindred

Then I drop those and use whatever I want

I find having the aura to watch makes me feel a whole lot safer when I'm worried because I don't have spine chill!

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,597
    Options

I recommend never taking the perk off. It means you won't ever get snuck up on by stealth killers or Tinkerer. You'll also have an idea when exactly the killer drops chase or if he's still coming for you. And the increased action speed is nice. It's part of the vault build too. I just wish Premonition, it's closest rival, gets buffed.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

Spine Chill is not a training wheels perk. There are certain situations where you will not be able to see the killer coming until they're right on top of you.

Also, Spine Chill gives you some action speed buffs, which some survivors like combining with other perks. An example being the fast vault build: Resilience & Spine Chill.

So if you want to ditch Spine Chill, that's fine. Just realize that you're giving up some environmental awareness.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    Options

Well, I haven't taken it off.

I don't really think spine chill is training wheels, it's actually a really good perk. You have so much info, it's insane. If spine chill flickers, that means the killer is looping somewhat close to you. If it's lit then he's coming for dat ash (see what I did there? :3). It's just such a good perk and I'm really addicted to it. Unfortunately, I wanna lvl up my Kate, and even tho she's lvl 40 I still haven't found spine chill. Every time I get exposed by a ghostface I always think to myself "God I miss spine chill" :(

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

Use the ayrun fast vault build...