The reason for the new UI / HUD and why it has missed it's target

One of the important things you learn as a graphic designer is you want important informations shown very clear, outstanding and easy to see when it comes to UIs and HUDs. Red on red is a no-go (like the notifications for effects on the right side). Also while playing killer, the most important thing isn't the HUD for your ability and what addons you're using. You picked the killer and addons already by yourself, right?

I mean, i get the intensions for adding more informations for solo players in the future (like seeing what each surv is doing-- different symbols for different actions like working on a gen, doing a totem, hiding in a locker etc.). But even as a solo surv, i don't need that information overflow. And SWFs would still have better information anyway as they can tell WHERE they're working on a gen, where the killer is etc.

That's why i'm thinking the old HUD / UI was so much better. Mostly because you got all important informations by just looking at one position of your screen with very clear white, outlined colors. Why changing a running system when nobody asked for that? And why keeping it when the majority of the playerbase doesn't like it?

Comments

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

The entire HUD redesign smells so of 'let's make it esports ready'.

Which raises the question: Why force it on the actual players? Players need vital info:

Who is injured/hooked, what's their hook state.

All these things they seem to want to add etc sounds so much 'oh yeah, this is for a spectator to keep track of points'... Just... put that into a spectator mode in customs. Tournament matches gonna be played in customs anyway.

I haven't checked what the spectator UI looks like, but for crying out loud...

This is really, throwing things at the wall and either not waiting what sticks or using what broke.

• oldtimerza
    oldtimerza Member Posts: 5

I mean UI is very little to do with "esports". The previous UI wasn't great for e-sports but it would've done the job fine.

If they are trying to make this game "e-sports ready" then there are FAR bigger concerns that need to be addressed before the UI.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

DBDs balance isn't ready for e-sports anyway, that's why they add specific rules in tournaments.

I don't think this was the reason. They already said they wanted better and more informations for solos to bring them closer to SWFs level.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

Nah, if anything it smells of being a tutorial, something to keep new players a bit longer so they spend some money before they know if they actually like this game