The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I'm a rank 13 killer, what do I do against flashlights

Aviema
Aviema Member Posts: 45
edited September 2018 in General Discussions

Against people who know how to use them more specifically, its 2 games out of twenty but those two games will tilt me off the face of this earth. Getting flash lighted twice in a row by the same guy, and losing two hooks. Costing me the game, I don't think I have time to turn my head, they get me before my pick up animation is finished. Do I have to check and make sure there are no flashlights before picking up someone now?

Comments

• CoolAKn
    CoolAKn Member Posts: 677

@Aviema said:
    Against people who know how to use them more specifically, its one game out of 2 games out of twenty but those two games will tilt me off the face of this earth getting flash lighted twice in a row by the same the same guy, and losing two hooks. Costing me then game, I don't think I have time to turn m head. Do I have to check and make sure there are no flashlights before picking up someone now?

Whenever you can, pick up facing a wall, they shouldn't be able to blind you. If there are no walls, do a light patrol of the area to see if there are any survivors in the area, and before you pick them up, do another quick survey while standing over the survivor. If you are frequently encountering flashlights, consider equipping Lightborn until you learn an effective method of countering them.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    edited September 2018
    There are two perks designed for countering flashlights:

Franklin's Demise - makes a survivor drop an item and lose 10% of their charges.

Lightborn - significantly boosts your resistance to flashlight blinds, as well as your recovery from them.

Overwhelming Presence can be considered a very soft counter because it chews through their flashlight consumption, but the perks above do a better job. 

If you don't want to use a perk slot up for that, just make sure you face a wall. If there are no walls around, search the nearby area. If you see someone waiting with their lightsaber, give them a smack on the ass or bait them away. 
  • shadowsfall42
    shadowsfall42 Member Posts: 201
    Facing a wall is your best bet, but if you're willing to give up a perk slot, Lightborn from the Hillbilly is great against flashlights. Franklin's demise is good but requires you to hit them. It's become a lot harder to get flashlight saves since they buffed the pickup speed of killers, but how I deal with flashlights is fake a pickup them turn around and hit them. They need to be in position pretty quickly, or the save will miss so do what you can to throw that timing off, if you have an idea of where they're hiding, turn your back to them, virtually impossible to land that save safely. If you're playing a killer like Hag or Trapper that set things on the ground you can also use that bait them out. 
  • Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    edited September 2018
    If you main Hag like your icon suggests you have an additional option at your disposal. After downing a survivor pretend to place a trap on them. This bending down will mimic the animation and lure out the blinders. Then use this opening to scared them off with a well-placed hit.
  • DæmonicVisions
    DæmonicVisions Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2018

Look up to the stars, they are your savior. Walls/Sky never needed lightborn unless more than 2. Even nod, up down mouse, up down controller, this really an issue? Cote even saw the light and helped bring down the light and yet people want it down further.

No.

gitgud

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@Aviema said:
    Against people who know how to use them more specifically, its 2 games out of twenty but those two games will tilt me off the face of this earth. Getting flash lighted twice in a row by the same guy, and losing two hooks. Costing me the game, I don't think I have time to turn my head, they get me before my pick up animation is finished. Do I have to check and make sure there are no flashlights before picking up someone now?

Dont pick up survivors if these flashlight idiots are close. Just leave them on the ground and chase the flashlight guy. This strategy is called slugging if you wanna look it up....

• SteveyHooves
    SteveyHooves Member Posts: 246
    edited September 2018
    Aviema said:

So I can usually see where they're going to use the flashlight on me so I turn away from it then pick up the person. while walking they might to flash me but since I'm moving it's a lot harder. I'll even walk backwards so they can't even try. I'll look back to make sure I'm on the right path still. I don't use any of the perks because I think there might be ones. Though I'm like you a rank 13. I don't know the true potential of every perk. 

Or what @DeadByFlashlight said slugging that works too.
  • Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    If I'm playing Clown I also mix my bottles before a pick-up and smash one down. If they rush into the cloud, the initial cough will make them unable to aim it. If they rush in before and start coughing right away, they'll be able to aim it after though. It's dependent on what the survivor knows about the killer.

As I recall, due to their short stature, Freddy and Hag are two of the hardest to blind. That may have changed though

As everyone has said, always try and pick survivors up facing a wall if possible. Also be aware that survivors don't need to be in your LoS to blind you. It's a little infuriating, but there is a spot on either side of your head that survivors can aim at and blind you unless your nose is right against the wall.
  • thekiller490490
    thekiller490490 Member Posts: 1,164
    I see you are a fan of hag. Instead of picking them up, start to place a trap. It looks like you are picking them up and you can get a free hit. A injured survivor won't save if they know what is good for them. If you are not hag look at a wall before picking them up. Look UP asap after picking them up, don't spin
  • PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Franklins, franklins franklins franklins franklins

oh and Franklins.

Franklins is highly underrated perk. Make the survivors crutching items who go into your lobby with them regret it. You don't even have to carry it for just flashlights. See a map? See a key? Someone decided to not carry self care and instead box perks and health kits? Rob them...ROB THEM OF EVERYTHING THEY LOVE UNTIL NO HOPE IS LEFT!

• SteveyHooves
    SteveyHooves Member Posts: 246

Franklins, franklins franklins franklins franklins

oh and Franklins.

Lightborn you say.
  • Esheon
    Esheon Member Posts: 568
    I see you are a fan of hag. Instead of picking them up, start to place a trap. It looks like you are picking them up and you can get a free hit. A injured survivor won't save if they know what is good for them. If you are not hag look at a wall before picking them up. Look UP asap after picking them up, don't spin
    This, plus other killers can sometimes fool people by standing over the survivor for a second and then looking down.