What would you do to fix spirit's standing still mindgame...

2»

Comments

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

It does require some skill of prediction; you need to know what they're going to do in order to pre-empt it. At high ranks, they just won't approach your husk, so it fails in that regard too. But, I understand that it is still annoying. I would enjoy it if her location gave off a noise and direction warning, even while in the terror radius. That way, you can actually track her while phasing as well as tell that she's phasing.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited February 2021

Well the devs balance around green ranks or below so the communities been trained to complain about things to get it solved for them rather than adapting themselves. The community is left with very little self agency.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

You're not gonna convince noob survivors to play non meta perks like spine chill.....this is an uphill battle to rip sprint burst, DS, BT, and Adrenaline crutches I'm sorry but....not gonna happen. Fixated?!?? HAHAHA yeah no its not sprint burst they aren't gonna use it. No BS I never even see Iron will used in matches...like...once in 10 matches I might see a survivor with it....

• WaveyTrey
    WaveyTrey Member Posts: 646
    edited February 2021

Make her phase walk susceptible to Lightburn. All killers that harness the spirit world is susceptible to Lightburn like the Wraiths cloaking, and Nurses Blinking. Yet The Spirit’s phase walk isn’t affected... Huge oversight. If you shine a light on her body that sits there while she’s phasing she becomes stunned. She reappears wherever she was positioned in the spirit world prior to being burned, but she keeps her power gauge. So if she only used 50% of the gauge before she’s burned she’ll have the 50% when she’s knocked out of the spirit world.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

"When you're deciding if she's faking it or not you don't walk towards her, problem solved. Then if she's faking it she wasted a bunch of time for nothing and if she's phasing she just had to guess where you were." <==== That is exactly what you said.

Also, your rhetoric is so generic that it could also be used to justify when Spirit didn't have a vaulting animation, prayer beads blocked the phasing sounds, iridescent heads, or even the existence of infinite loops. Choose an option (Spirit, Prayer Beads, Iridescent heads, Looping) and apply below:

"Once again, never said any of these. Nor would I. Yes, you're trying to be sarcastic, but it's for a point that shows misunderstanding of _______ at a fundamental level.

This is a skill issue on your part, not a ________ issue.

If you seriously think it's a situation that's impossible to lose for ________ you need to get some more experience with the game. Speaking hyperbolic doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Based on these things you've said you don't have a good understanding of ___________. I think you should practice playing as and against her some more. There are some educational videos out there you can watch."

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530

That would work agaisn't the average spirit player. Survivors make a little ''grunt'' noise when vaulting slowly so that doesn't even work if the killer has a good headset and is decent. (and the fact that when phasing the chase music gets muffled)

• Blueberry
    edited February 2021

'"When you're deciding if she's faking it or not you don't walk towards her, problem solved. Then if she's faking it she wasted a bunch of time for nothing and if she's phasing she just had to guess where you were." <==== That is exactly what you said."

Yes, and you misquoted it. What I said there is different than what you quoted earlier.

You're viewing what you "quoted" of me earlier as being synonymous with what I said here and it's not.

"Also, your rhetoric is so generic that it could also be used to justify when Spirit didn't have a vaulting animation, prayer beads blocked the phasing sounds, iridescent heads, or even the existence of infinite loops. Choose an option (Spirit, Prayer Beads, Iridescent heads, Looping) and apply below:"

I posted generic things because you offered nothing of substance to the conversation to descredit. All you did was speak in hyperbole, misquote me, and say fundamental things about Spirit that just objectively are incorrect.

You get substance when you give substance.

"This is a skill issue on your part, not a ________ issue.

If you seriously think it's a situation that's impossible to lose for ________ you need to get some more experience with the game. Speaking hyperbolic doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Based on these things you've said you don't have a good understanding of ___________. I think you should practice playing as and against her some more. There are some educational videos out there you can watch.""

Pointing out that you have a fundamental misunderstanting of the game is substance.

The issue is lack of experience so I offered a solution which is practice and educational videos. You may not agree, but it is in fact substance. It was a solution offered for a problem.

Also, saying those could fill in the blank with all those previous things is just hyperbole again. Speak in actualities and not exaggerations and we can further some substance in this conversation.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

Why do you believe that the killer shouldn't have an edge in this 1v1 situation? It's a 4v1 game, so yes, in that 1v1 situation the killer gets you, then you have 3 teammates to save you while she has just herself.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,386

For the number of times I've seen people complain about this mindgame, you would think survivors at one point would stop running into spirit while they are not moving. But since it's still being complained about it means survivors are just leaping into her arms.

Kind of related, but I've noticed this weird trend with survivors at pallets. Basically they pallet stun you and then vault into you and hide inside your body. I guess it works against some killers, but everytime I've seen a survivor do that I just back up and smack them. Why waste the time getting the stun to only vault back into the killer instead of running away to get distance?

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,295
    edited February 2021

There are instances where you roam to a tile sometimes even in the center of the map and there is no pallet. Sure call it bad luck or player fault but I feel you're underestimating how easy it is to get out of position against a Spirit unless the tiles are basically handing you a victory. At that point though there's no way any killer aside from Nurse is winning that chase unless they bloodlust.

Also regarding Sprinting away - Once your scratchmarks stop she just unphases and finds your position because walking doesn't let you get far. It's worse if you're injured and the sounds aren't bugged.

Regarding this

You have manipulated her into phasing when you wanted her to.

In this regard i do agree - Yes sprinting from the tile does force her to use her power. However maybe just my luck but most Spirits I encounter are mostly Sprit mains and hard to throw off again which is what I mention. It's too easy to track survivors with sounds while phasing and understanding how scratch marks work. If there's any point you don't fully know (Just in general not you specifically) how scratch marks work you can just go into a custom lobby with Fixated and see how they're formed to understand the slight delay they have before forming.

• Blueberry

Well you're calling it a tile so I'm assuming you have a window like an L T maybe. If that's the case you fast vault the window, dab some scratch marks for a split second and then slow vault back over. I don't see the issue here.

"I feel you're underestimating how easy it is to get out of position against a Spirit unless the tiles are basically handing you a victory."

Which tiles are we talking about. There's tiles almost everywhere, they're numerous. If there's no tile at all you would've been getting hit by any killer.

"Also regarding Sprinting away - Once your scratchmarks stop she just unphases and finds your position because walking doesn't let you get far."

In the time to activate her phase and get to your spot that is at least 3 seconds, minimum. Walking at that speed will have actually gained you some significant distance over her, especially if she guessed the wrong direction you walked. Be unpredictable. She doesn't know if you walked forwards, backwards, left, or right.

"It's worse if you're injured and the sounds aren't bugged."

Yes this is more a situation you're doing while uninjured. Spirit does have the advantage on you while injured. However, this is only half the time. All those times you weren't injured she was completely guessing. YOU have the advantage over her while uninjured.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Nah, I don't like that idea. That would then make it a boring guessing game on both sides. It'd be more fun to give survivors similar levels of information that the spirit has eg: Spirit moving grass if she phase walks through it.

• odra
    odra Member Posts: 369

yeah and stridor makes her able to hears where you're even when using iron will how that should happen ? she knows where you're and survivor doesnt know where she is.

one got info from your scratch mark and sounds while the other doesnt have any info

• odra
    odra Member Posts: 369

yeah i like previous idea more both has same info that one seems better idea

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

You should be breaking line of sight, if she is faking now she can't see you and will either give up the chase or start phasing in which case you can start playing unpredictable. I never struggle to lose a Spirit and I never run Iron Will either, you are frustrated that once you drop the pallet you still aren't safe but there are plenty of killers like that, Spirit is nothing special in that way. At the end of the day no matter how strong Spirit is she is still weaker than survivors spreading out and doing separate gens.

• PGJSF
    PGJSF Member Posts: 369

Pretty simple: remove Spirit. All she has done is headache.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

Standing still isn't a mindgame even though you got hit hoping she wasn't there? That's like walking on hot coals expecting not to get burned. Hell, weather the coals are hot or cold ain't stepping on them reguardless.

Spirit is fine, her fake phasing is something that was intended. If you get hit because you fell for her fake phasing thats your fault because your suppose to be staying away from the killer unless your taking a risk.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

And yes I am a Spirit main, but because I main her ik how to deal with her simply because I understand how she thinks.

Spirit is a product of what's wrong with looping. When survivors have to guess, its a problem but the fact that killers have to base everything off of guessing and expirence thats A - Okay

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

The standing still mind game works less and less the higher the rank you go. 20-17, most will fall for it, but I tried it at 11-14 too and survivors just stand and wait it out.

My verdict: No need to fix it :)

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Thats a good point, which has more to do with the power of stridor vs iron will than anything to do with spirit. Which to be honest, all they have to do is make iron will remove your crying sounds by 100% NO MATTER WHAT....problem solved.....

• eff
    eff Member Posts: 154

Survivors scream about the need to mindgame in order to win (otherwise you are a trash killer) and then think that something needs to be done about one aspect of mindgaming on Spirit. Excellent.

• Volfgang57
    Volfgang57 Member Posts: 369
    edited February 2021

I mean, does this not work?

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

Ah yes, the trusty flashlight that I bring in every single match/s

• Volfgang57
    Volfgang57 Member Posts: 369

Just offering an idea

Plus if you're someone that sits and stares at the killer while they're at a pallet you're probably someone who uses flashlights. Just saying

(Chests are a thing too)

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

A Killer shouldn't require an item to counter them. The items can be used to help Survivors (with varying degrees of success), but none should be needed as a primary method to counter a Killer.