The Official (Only) way to have fun EVERY GAME in DBD.

From an outside perspective, it seems almost uncanny that this is the case, but I think a lot of people who play this game (And take it to seriously) forget one thing.

A lot of players especially the ones who have a lot of hours forget that at the end of the day, a lot of people play this game just for fun.

Sure it's boring at brown ranks especially when you've earned your way all the way up to red ranks, but if you go back and play against brown ranks you'll notice one thing that every player is having - fun.

Most of the time the new players will camp, sure. But I remember when I started, playing dbd with my friends, the killers would camp and it would suck, but we'd still find a way to have fun.

What brown ranks have that gets lost in the later ranks is the respectful nature for everyone in the game, especially if you turn off end game chat / play on console.

The players are so new to the game that they just play in the way they think they're supposed to, which makes the game fun. For an experienced player, yeah sure watching your teammates cower in fear everytime they hear the terror radius go off, or being camped by the killer, or watching a trapper just open traps on the spawn locations, there is a certain charm to it.

Point being, the only way to have fun in this game is to be respectful and hope that the other players are being respectful back. The best games are the ones where the killer comes to my stream, says "I'm the killer, good luck! :)" and plays fairly the entire game.

If you want to have the most fun on this game, just be respectful of whoever you play with. There are always gonna be cynical types who play the game just to be dicks, but the more players that play fairly, the better the experience will be at the end of the day.

It may be a joke, but the whole "Survivors Guide for Killers" was a joke made by the community, and honestly a lot of people and players respect it, because it's literally designed so that players can have the most fun. The actual "community rules" actually make this game more fun, like no tunnelling, camping, don't teabag, or use an instant heal and teabag, etc.

Just remember, the next time you play, try to enjoy yourself, and if someone isn't playing fairly, then don't get riled up about it. They're either a bad player or made a mistake and will get better with time.

Comments

• SirCracken
    SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414

Sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but anyone who does get angry at the game will not change their attitude if they read this. People who already didn't take the game that seriously, or who were already trying to improve their behaviour, will be the only ones who listen to this.

This game's community is beyond changing.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Wrong there's a different way.

Absolutely ######### destroy your eardrums with music (like, for example, BLACKPINK works wonders for me, but Icon For Hire and Twice are also up there) and make your family worry for you as you punch the ######### out of your wall and half scream half sob the lyrics of the song you're listening to and bam you're having fun again!

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

Awww c'mon we can't even have this post to hope? I'd love to go back to that grey/yellow rank player who was still figuring out the game and having a lot of fun.

• ttvbardberd
    ttvbardberd Member Posts: 144

You're absolutely right, but I think reminding people of why they even play in the first place is a good jumping off point. Some people just won't change, but the more of us that play fairly and try to give each player the best time, the better the games will start to get.

Like for example, it'd be great if the killer saw no obsession, and didn't instantly start tunnelling (Not something that always happens but is a possibility)

Sometimes when a killer has played fairly but they might be console or something, I always drop them my item. Always, even if I needed it.

Having a really fun game can be quite hard to find nowadays for solo players specifically. I do you can fun at red ranks, but there's still a certain amount of respect you should have for the other players.

It's like when I used to get annoyed at people for teabagging on halo, at the end of the day it's pretty innocent, but I would have appreciated them as a player and complimented them if they didn't do that.

There will be people who rage if they lose of course, but understanding that you're not gonna win every game can be a hard but good pill to swallow. It kind of says a lot about real life more than anything, which is a good thing for people to learn at the end of the day.

Point being, I agree with you. Sorry for the tangent xD

• ttvbardberd
    ttvbardberd Member Posts: 144

They were the days.

I recently have had to start from scratch on different accounts through dbd and playing against lower ranks just reminded me of how much fun the game is. (For context I had the game on Steam, then switched to Stadia (only for that to go sideways) and then switch to Xbox, then Windows 10 and my progress didn't carry over, back to Steam)

• KiwiCoattails
    KiwiCoattails Member Posts: 566

We must kill this Claud

Yeah it’s sad but true

Gotta kill this Claud

Before she flashlights you

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

it depends on the games you get

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

I disagree about the game being only fun when everyone acts fair and respectful.

I'm gonna be the one to admit the best (and most memorable) experiences I've had were those where I got BM'd by either the killer or survivors throughout the match and ended up winning.

As for the game being more fun when you've got no idea what you're doing I sort of disagree as well because honestly there's different "fun aspects" that come with different experience levels.

When you're new the whole immersion makes the fun. I remember very well hiding in a random corner and getting scared of the terror radius and the killer's presence.

Hell, I once jumped out of a locker because a killer LOOKED at it (when I was new) so I panicked even though the killer was (probably) not gonna check that locker.

Nowadays I find the game fun for other aspects.

Figuring out new builds and getting them to work as a solo survivor, finding the most effective (or unique) ways to use a killer's power or figuring out unique benefits when using specific perks on specific killers is what makes the game fun for me these days.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762
    edited February 2021

"How-how you like that?" screamed the Deathslinger in rage at the Claudette, voice heavy with emotion and tears streaking down his face. "Finally, how does it feel? How does it feel knowing I'm finally better than you?!"

Claudette was on the hook, calmly waiting for the Deathslinger to finish hitting her, too preoccupied to notice what she had. The Bill sneaking up from behind. After the next swing he made his move, gripping her under the arms strongly and lifting her up. She felt strength surge through her body; his Borrowed Time had kicked in.

The Deathslinger screamed in both anger and confusion- how dare they take his prize from him?! Claudette, meanwhile, smirked, beginning to run towards the open gate where her two other teammates- Jake and Laurie- were waiting.

The cold metal of his weapon slashed against her back, causing some pretty deep wounds, but she continued on none-the-less, enduring it. Bill was hit next, grunting as the boost of speed pushed him past her. The gate was so close now, just a little bit further-

Bang.

The spear hit her square in the chest and pulled her back, back towards the deathslinger, a mad glint of murder gleaming under his hat. "You're not getting away that easily."

Once again she felt the slash of the weapon, and cried out, going down. Desperately, she began to crawl. Maybe she could get out in time, but no, his arms had wrapped around her waist and were hoisting her up onto his shoulder.

She smirked, counting the seconds until she was fully in the air 'In one, two, three four'. Suddenly, she reached into her pocket and pulled out a sharp blade of glass and stabbing it straight into his shoulder.

Once again he screamed, visceral rage almost palpable in the air around him as she was released and ran, cackling all the way.

"You should've killed me when you had the chance," were her parting words, blowing a kiss goodbye. "How you like that, #########?"

(I'll be honest I started writing this with 3 lines from HYLT stuck in my head - 'How You Like That', 'In one, two, three, four-' (Ije neohui hana dul ses) and 'You should've killed me when you had the chance' (Geuttaejjeume neon nal kkeunnaeya haesseo) and then remembered "I'll kiss you goodbye" so stuck that in there too lmao. I don't know why I did this.)

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,406

I agree that you should play to have fun. But fun can mean something different for everyone.

So there is no safe way to have fun. So the best tip i would give is that everyone must find out what is fun for him/her. Try different things: play fair, slaughter with no mercy, set challenges etc. Its good to know what exactly is the fun part of the game for you. Then when you realize something isnt fun anymore, switch it up.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

It is soooo fun having my totem broadcast to the other 3 survivors when seen by one guy.

It is soooooooo fun not having a power as trapper because everyone is broadcasting trap locations and telling them when to disarm them so they can use the jungle gym or shack...

it is sooooo fun when everyone knows exactly what gen to do and what % every gen is at when randoms don't.

I can't have fun against swf.. sorry. It is the most boring experience in the game because you as a killer don't matter. you may as well replace them with a bot.

• KiwiCoattails
    KiwiCoattails Member Posts: 566

So this is that art thing I’ve heard people talking about? Charles Dickens hew? William Shakespeare? Never heard of him. 👏🏻

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited February 2021

The way I've always looked at it is this way:

If what you are doing, is primarily motivated by the desire to grief someone else, make them mad, or give them an unpleasant experience and not motivated by your own enjoyment of the game or anything else; it's probably something you should take a step back and re-think.

Ie, if you are going into a match planning to only face camp as Bubba instead of playing normally, pretty much because "lul survivors mad haha leave more salt ######### loser" you're lacking some fundamental character values most folks would consider ideal haha.

However if you are just losing as Bubba or whatever, or have some silly basement camper build you want to try, or something else....I have no issues with that honestly. It sucks to be on the receiving end of it though, but most of the time people motivated by reasons like that understand as such and are at least going to be pleasant about it post game or maybe even give hatch and in general everything is fine.

It's about the attitude and motivations.