Console killer mains, headset questions

Firstly, do you notice that big a difference when using a headset versus not? I remember when Evolve was a thing, I’d watch a streamer on Xbox and he could literally hear a hunters jetpack boost from across the map and know exactly where they were. An amazing advantage. Now I’m not expecting something like that, but survivor footsteps, breathing, are they easier to pinpoint?

Secondly, and lastly, what are
some good ones? My budget is probably around $80-130 and I’d prefer something I can go and pick up at Walmart or GameStop/Best Buy. 

I bought a cheap TB headset last year, didn’t notice much of anything but again, it was cheap, like $30.

Comments

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    The_Fallen_Utopia Member Posts: 441
    I use a cheap headset and it's been a huge help. Can't play without it anymore. Definitely makes a difference. 
  • alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559
    edited October 2018

@The_Fallen_Utopia said:
    I use a cheap headset and it's been a huge help. Can't play without it anymore. Definitely makes a difference. 

### MISREAD, but i agree heartbeat is much easier to hear with a headset same with cries of pain from a survivor
  • The_Fallen_Utopia
    The_Fallen_Utopia Member Posts: 441
    @alivebydeadight I meant I can't play DBD without a Headset lol. The surround sound is very helpful. Being able to find survivors through sound is definitely a good reason to use headphones imo
  • Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

@Well_Placed_HexTotem said:
    Firstly, do you notice that big a difference when using a headset versus not? I remember when Evolve was a thing, I’d watch a streamer on Xbox and he could literally hear a hunters jetpack boost from across the map and know exactly where they were. An amazing advantage. Now I’m not expecting something like that, but survivor footsteps, breathing, are they easier to pinpoint?

some good ones? My budget is probably around $80-130 and I’d prefer something I can go and pick up at Walmart or GameStop/Best Buy. 

I bought a cheap TB headset last year, didn’t notice much of anything but again, it was cheap, like $30.

Yes, huge difference.
    I have the HyperX Cloud II and it's working great. It's USB powered, so it doesn't affect controller battery life and sound quality is not downgraded.

• alivebydeadight

@Condorloco_26 said:

Yes, huge difference.
    I have the HyperX Cloud II and it's working great. It's USB powered, so it doesn't affect controller battery life and sound quality is not downgraded.

I use a RIG headset and it does effect my controllers battery but idc because i use a wired but it works SO well

• alivebydeadight

its even vented too

• LightsOut88
    LightsOut88 Member Posts: 123
    Highly rec Turtle Beach Amplified 60px My Spirit ganeplay is off the charts I can hear every breath in phase walk lol
  • Terrortot
    Terrortot Member Posts: 423
    Highly rec Turtle Beach Amplified 60px My Spirit ganeplay is off the charts I can hear every breath in phase walk lol
    Mid price turtle beach are great, and at walmart
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

I agree with the headsets. I tried without once and having it with surround sound makes life so much easier.

I never realized how much I had been missing by playing without.

• So there seem to be two types, amplified and surround sound? Do the mid tier TB headsets you guys are talking about have surround sound? 60px? I’ll google it. Thanks for the replies so far!
  • Condorloco_26

The Cloud II has 7.1 surround but I don't use it, I think it works better without it. The little USB dongle acts as a DAC amplifier though and it's capable of high volume outputs. (DAC = Digital - analog converter)

• Condorloco_26

I should mention that USB sound output is a feature exclusive to the PS4 (console-wise). Xbox One does not support USB sound output. Which console do you play on, @Well_Placed_HexTotem?

• sixty4half
    sixty4half Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2018
    I agree with these guys.  A headset makes a huge difference.  I like the $99 Sony Gold Ps4 headset.  You can usually find it for 79 or 89 at gamestop.  Its VERY soft and comfortable.  It has a bass boost mode and is extremely clear.  And its surround sound is better than any other $100 or less headset I've used.  When playing CoD I can hear people walking and changing ammo clips from the other side of walls.  However, just like to dualshock4 it should be charged off the PS4 USB ports.  My first one stopped charging after a year because I was charging off of a low mAmp output usb port.

Post edited by sixty4half on
  • SteveyHooves
    SteveyHooves Member Posts: 246
    Firstly, do you notice that big a difference when using a headset versus not?
    To the point of why am I even playing without them... 
  • Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Sennheiser makes awesome headsets (German company).

You should be able to find one in your price range.

You can even buy a PC headset so long as you buy a really cheap adapter to go with it.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Don’t use them. My brother bought me a set of Turtle Beach PX22 headset for Christmas, but they just make it sound like they are all around me and not to my left, right, behind, in front. The speakers on my Vizio TV set at 18 volume works best for me. I use the Turtle Beach for other games, but it just doesn’t work with DBD for me. 
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

One advice, go for a wired headset... especially in that price range

• sixty4half
    Don’t use them. My brother bought me a set of Turtle Beach PX22 headset for Christmas, but they just make it sound like they are all around me and not to my left, right, behind, in front. The speakers on my Vizio TV set at 18 volume works best for me. I use the Turtle Beach for other games, but it just doesn’t work with DBD for me. 
    Dude?  Seriously?  That's a 15-20 dollar headset with no surround sound capabilities.  You should totally advise people not to get THAT headset but dont tell people yo not get a headset at all based on your experience with a cheap PoS headset.
  • sixty4half

No.

For $100-$120 you can find a BEAST wireless headset.  Better if you have PS4 because the bluetooth wireless tech is superior 
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@sixty4half said:
    DeadByFlashlight said:

No.

For $100-$120 you can find a BEAST wireless headset.  Better if you have PS4 because the bluetooth wireless tech is superior 

The wireless stuff costs always more and you basically get no benefit from it. You are sitting at one position anyway, why does that wire bother you?

I only had one great wireless headphone so far, the one I am currently using and it was way above 200, but even that one I still use in wired mode 95% of the time :lol:

• alivebydeadight

So there seem to be two types, amplified and surround sound? Do the mid tier TB headsets you guys are talking about have surround sound? 60px? I’ll google it. Thanks for the replies so far!

YOUR NAME IS A LIE AND YOU KNOW IT

• @Well_Placed_HexTotem said:
    So there seem to be two types, amplified and surround sound? Do the mid tier TB headsets you guys are talking about have surround sound? 60px? I’ll google it. Thanks for the replies so far!

YOUR NAME IS A LIE AND YOU KNOW IT

This was going to be my avatar if this place allowed custom ones:

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331

I'm rocking Turtle Beach Elite 800s and I love them. It makes it seem like a whole new game. To be honest I only play with my headset simply because the sound is so much better.

• SteveyHooves
    SteveyHooves Member Posts: 246
    I commented but I use PS gold head sets... and I broke them them after 2 months last time I buy ps headphones. You want a headsets with surround sound so you can hear where the pitter patter of foot steps are coming from or the whimpering or a injured survivor. It makes a real difference. You'll get all the kills... don't let some salty survivor tell you you were tunnelling him when he was the only survivor you could find lol. Sorry I had a weird game yesterday. 
  • SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Dude?  Seriously?  That's a 15-20 dollar headset with no surround sound capabilities.  You should totally advise people not to get THAT headset but dont tell people yo not get a headset at all based on your experience with a cheap PoS headset.
    They weren’t that cheap when they came out. You misunderstand me, I wasn’t telling the OP to not use headsets, I was say *I* don’t use them myself. Sorry, I forgot the *I* for “I don’t use them.” 
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I always use headset when play dbd

• Freddmann
    Freddmann Member Posts: 7

Logitech G633

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

Not only does a headset allow for better sound placement , but it also blocks out wife's voice.

No need to interrupt a chase to take out garbage if you can't hear the command!

(But wife gains bloodlust and later you might find a RBT around your neck.....worth it though if you get 4k)