The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How to Make DBD Scary Again

I've been an active dbd player for years, I read the forums all the time, but I've never actually gotten the guts up to post something myself. That said, as I'm sure many of you are feeling as well, dbd isn't scary. I miss feeling scared at rank 20 trying to hide from the killer, having that small hope of being able to get everything done and escape before he finds me, or playing as killer, feeling powerful and an actual threat. At higher ranks, survivors are the ones carrying the power. NOTE: I am not making the argument that survivors are STRONGER than killers in this post (though I believe a coordinated swf most certainly is), By carrying the power, I mean that they take that horror beast power that the killers once had and use extremely aggressive tactics. Regardless of it the killer is good enough to overcome these aggressive tactics, for me this ruins the purpose of a horror game, when at high ranks, the only one who commonly feels fear is the killer.

This may be a tad drastic, but hear me out, and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Scratched mirror Myers, while not necessarily the most powerful, does the best job at feeling like a horror villain. This is because you can't hear him coming without actually paying close attention to your surroundings. I understand that this would be extremely difficult to implement, and would require a good amount of tweaking to mechanics of the game. However, I believe the terror radius hurts the game. Not in all situations, for example, playing as doctor, sometimes it can be a good idea to have a large terror radius, to keep all survivors on high alert; however, I believe it does more harm than good for the game in general. You may say, "use undetectable perks!" The problem with the current undetectable perks is that, at high level play, they are easy for the survivors to quickly identify which perk it is, expect it, and deduct where the killer should be at the time. It can be fun for a quick grab or so, but once you get one, it is unlikely it will work again.

I'm not exactly sure how we would get around the terror radius in game, but here are a few ideas. AGAIN: I understand that this would involve major tweaking to the game and mechanics of certain perks. In my world, this is still a possibility, because I'm an optimist:)

Having a separate mode that is more horror and removes the terror radius completely: Again, I know they don't actually want to create more modes of the game, I just think it would be really cool.

Just putting the option to turn it on and off in the base kit for killers: Before you call me a dirty killer main, I understand that survivors and killers are on an almost equal level: hence why it isn't a horror game anymore. Having the option to turn on and off your terror radius could lead to such interesting gameplay and could make the killer feel like an actual force, not because they're more powerful in a chase, but because they could pop up at any minute.

Make a perk with the option to turn on and off you terror radius: This would be a powerful perk, but it is more realistic than the devs overhauling aspects of the game. I'm not sure of the logistics, but I am just so interested in the killers being able to appear out of nowhere, keeping the survivors on edge and frightened of the surroundings.

My favorite option would to just give the power to killers in the base kit. I understand that this would destroy perks like insidious and trail of torment, and require reworkings of aspects of ghostface and meyers powers, but I still think, for the overall health of the game, it would be something to consider. The reason I prefer this is because we keep trying to increase everyone's strength in chases to make them more powerful, and frankly, that has just been complicating and not fixing the problem with the horror game that isn't scary. We need to start focusing on the other aspects of this game, not just the chase.

If for some reason you read all this, thank you so much. I would absolutely love to hear other thoughts of how to make the game scary, frankly this is just a reach idea I had while playing the game as survivor at high rank and felt like I was able to control the match, which felt so wrong. I want this game to be scary again, please help with that effort. Brainstorm some ideas! I'm definitely interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Comments

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,837

Dbd isn't a horror game. It has aspects of horror but it just isn't scary. It's only scary if you have less than 10 hours and are rank 20.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Can't happen.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

I like the idea but I think that letting the killer decide when that can happen might be a bit strong but it survivors had the option to do that pre game like.

survival element true= killer terror radius 0 but increased noise killers make from walking and other things

And if you wanted the best experience like a true survival game

Disability true giving you permanent blindness effect and you dont see you buffs or debuffs

Basically what you said but its optional

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

The thing is any game is only scary the first time you play through it. So once you have played more than 10 hours it's just not scary anymore (not that it really was to begin with). Any horror games the same it just one of those things we have to accept.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

this game makes you ######### yourself in your first 5 hours. i couldnt handle playing against a wraith.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Easy solution: Make it like all cursed games in fiction. IF YA DIE IN DUH GAME YA DIE FER REAL

inb4biasedtowardskillermains