So, I recently tried Identity V to compare it to DbD

ArchFox
ArchFox Member Posts: 205

Yeah, we're still stuck here; Identity V is janky as all #########, not helped by the mobile game controls, definitely not a replacement for the mess we're playing now. It's a shame because the charm and imagination of V far surpasses DbD by leagues, but the gameplay itself is awkward as hell. Also, for some reason the amount of face campers in that game far eclipses the amount in DbD...

So... yeah... DbD still has no viable competitor, so I guess we can all continue to enjoy our bugfest and £15 cosmetic skins.

Comments

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

Resident evil resistance was the closest competition imo. It's a shame they stopped supporting it. Its a lot of fun still though and I'd recommend giving it a shot

• Pilot
    Pilot Member Posts: 1,158

not sure if you're trying to quote Mathieu Cote

or actually complimenting the devs.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Exactly. I tried Friday the 13th a while ago and while it was fun it couldn’t compare to dbd

• daggersnight
    daggersnight Member Posts: 119

Played Identity V back when it first came out and kept playing right until the jumping Lizard killer dude came out. The controls are wonky but you get use to them after a time. The main problem I had with the game was, as you pointed out, the face camping. Every game was a face camp and every rescue was an instant tunnel. The killer wasn't punished at all for camping and considering even when I left there was really no way to reset generator (cypher decoding progress) progression it was an unfortunate way to play. Good concepts for survivors and killers, fun 2v8 mode, but yeah. Vastly different game.

Side note also sucked that the one killer I did like playing in that game was unable to join 2v8 because of their power being to hard to work into that mode. :(

• ArchFox
    ArchFox Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2021

The camping isn't helped by the fact that getting hit while interacting with anything, rescuing included, is an instant down. That's just straight up rewarding face camping.

Post edited by ArchFox on
  • tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177
    edited March 2021

Never heard of Identity V but that's a shame

These kinds of games are awesome but I'd really like to find one that isn't DBD...

Though maybe the frustrations with this game are just naturally going to occur in every asymmetric game and there's really nothing you can do to "fix it" without completely changing the genre...

I quit the game about threeish weeks ago now and it's been very tempting to join back in. Though if I do break and join again, I'm gonna put myself on the shortest of short leashes in terms of frustration. It would probably be a mistake that I'd regret but you just can't find this kind of genre anywhere :'(

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

I did, played both sides, as Survivor you can have near unstoppable builds, I usually ran as Samuel with the electric knife as my only weapon and tons of repair kits, as Mastermind I ran as Daniel with movement speed and the unstaggerable perk, there's dirty things you can do like a Annette team wipe with a zombie swarm but ultimately, Survivors can destroy any chance of a Mastermind getting their snowball going, pre planning is not easy in a fast paced game, there's times where I did about as much as you could do to survivors, beat on them, killed a few, yet all of them escaped, got some good DCs at least to show for it.

• IWasLeft2Die

Yeah the game defonetlt needed some balances and more content, which is a shame at least for now nothing is planned. I had a ton of fun with it though. I like doing annette infect builds and I think I used Tyrone the most to tank for people. That game had a lotnof potential but lacked the support it needed to really shine. I may go back and try it again soon. I miss playing it

• My_Aespa
    My_Aespa Member Posts: 545

I played Identity V for about 2 months about a year ago and everyone played like a bunch of potatoes, I never lost against a killer 🤭

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

First things that need to be fixed imo are the 0 counterplay Mastermind and Survivor builds, like near infinite rocket Jill, you could have a huge set up in lane, ready to use your creatures in a intelligent and bam, just molotov, grenade spam, always getting hit by concussions with Birkin, it turns down the ability for you to try fun builds and makes it so you have to run the meta just to have an inch of a chance.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

I think it has an interesting concept but its failing in many categories. The only game I think has any remote competition with DBD, is Dark Deception Monsters and Mortals. At first I thought it was a cool game that will last for only a while, it wasn't going to rival DBD, that was until they added Monstrum, which gave me a little bit of hope, but when they added Silent Hill of all DLC's, was when my hope increased by a bunch. Now I think it has potential to rival DBD, its all up to the developers now

• IWasLeft2Die

Yeah I totally agree. Some builds just were too much. It seriously needed some balancing lol

• Yumyumtasty
    Yumyumtasty Member Posts: 172

It's just sad that some jank as chinese made mobile game has an 8v2 and DBD cannot do it lol.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I feel like last year was the only game that trully could compete with DBD... and then it died...

• Cancan71
    Cancan71 Member Posts: 709

I played Identity V for a while back when I didn't have access to DBD while away from home. I thought it was a fine enough game and I did enjoy it although it did have some bad problems with balancing.

The biggest one is that there is a huge camping problem in the game. Since the ciphers (gens in this game) are decoded so fast the best hope for a killer is to camp one survivor until death then get the remaining survivors with NOED. There's no such thing as creating pressure since every survivor has unique attributes like being able to decode faster but vault slower or rescuing better but decoding slower so everyone knows if they're supposed to be rescuing or decoding when a survivor is downed. There's no point leaving the fast coding survivor alone so you can go chase the rescuing character so might as well camp the decoding character so they can't do ciphers fast. Every survivor also has the old Borrowed Time (both rescuer and rescuee are protected after saving) as well as Adrenaline, so a killer's only hope is to camp and tunnel one survivor and get 2 more after the ciphers are done.

There are some things I like about the game above DBD. I like the quick chat in the game so playing by yourself wasn't as infuriating as in DBD as you can tell people to rescue you when safe to do so. I also like the surrender option when all survivors are downed so you don't have to wait for the killer to pick you all up or let you bleed out, which is something I want in DBD.

All in all, I think Identity V is a fine game, but it takes DBD's problems and magnifies them. It makes me more appreciative of DBD's balance at least.

• CriticalWeasel
    CriticalWeasel Member Posts: 378

The asymmetrical survival genre is not an easy game to design around.

You have to deal with hard bias and balances 24/7.