The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Mindless Killer build: BBQ+Pop

Regulus47
Regulus47 Member Posts: 450
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

Need I say any more? This build is used in almost every game at the higher ranks due to how simple it makes defending the generators. There's no skill or (real) counterplay to this combo. There is counterplay to BBQ, hiding in lockers, but doing that when repairing a generator just wastes precious time. That means there's more chance the killer will get to the generator before it's repaired and ruin all your hard work and effort for no effort or investment at all.

The killer just hooks a survivor (easy enough) and sees everyone's aura, and then they can go to generators being worked on and instantly get rid of 30-40 or more seconds of a generator repair progression, counting the fact it applies normal regression ON TOP OF the massive gen progress decrease. There's nothing the survivor can do about it. It doesn't even have a cool down, so if someone tries to repair the generator to make up for the unavoidable regression loss, the killer can just do it again with no penalty. It literally punishes you for playing well, and I don't know if that's healthy.

I realise this will probably be seen as a joke or bait by the people of this forum, but I'm being serious. This build is used in almost every high rank game - even the Decisive Strike + Unbreakable combo isn't used that often, yet the BBQ+Pop combo is the one ignored. It reeks of hypocrisy to me. Both combos are uncounterable without literally stopping doing your objective. Killers should face the same stigma for running these mindless combos that survivors are given, and I'm sick of this community giving them a free pass.

Tl;dr: Killers are hypocrites for complaining about good survivor perk combos when they use an overpowered and uncounterable perk combo every game. It's the small PP build for killer.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Killer has to best the Survivors and get the down first, then bbq only pays off if Survivors don't utilize the window before the hook to hide their aura. It's info that is earned, but yeah makes the difficult job of gen defense easier.

• Regulus47

I never said BBQ was overpowered, just the combo of BBQ and Pop. Hex: Ruin isn't overpowered. Hex: Undying also wasn't overpowered, it wasn't even that strong with any other hex perk.; but when the two are combined, it becomes far too strong. It's the same with BBQ and Pop (except Pop is a bit less healthy than no -Ruin Undying)

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

That is very true, Trapper is a master of prediction, but Billy is the only one who is capable of downing Quentin hiding in a corner.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

@Regulus47

Ruin undying combo was not strong or good. Literally had no effect on survivors other than the 1 person being chased= 1 gen regressing. Other Survivors not doing gens doesn't make it strong just show how bad those Survivors are.

Even with high mobility killers, if you don't secure a down before switching chase to someone else, your still dealing with 3 people on gens with regression at a fraction of individual repair speed.

• Regulus47

Yes, I did say the combo of BBQ and Pop is overpowered. Because it is; that's the whole point of this post. I don't see your point?

BBQ on it's own isn't overpowered. Pop on it's own is incredibly, incredibly strong (bordering on overpowered) but falls just shy. Combining them makes Pop much, much stronger. Therefore, the combo is overpowered.

• poomanchu
    poomanchu Member Posts: 242

Just stop doing Gens, then the killer can’t use Pop, that’ll teach em for bringing that perk!

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

Kindred and Prove Thyself: Ultra OP pls nerf meta build because you can see other people doing gens and you can go to the gen they are working on for TOTALLY EZ GEN RUSH!

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

step one: spread out on gens.

step two: push gens that are close together first.

oh look, you countered it.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

It's used every game for a simple reason, pop is a nice gen slowdown perk and bbq gives bloodpoints and gives much needed sura reading. Keep in mind, thrilling and pop would be more or less the same

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

Just gen rush lol, you got it champ.

Doesn't take long to make 25% progress.

• RoachesDelight
    RoachesDelight Member Posts: 312

I take it someone has been having a rough couple of games.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

DS - requires you to get hooked twice

Unbreakable - requires you to lose a chase to the Killer and be downed

BBQ+Pop - requires you to win chases and hook survivors continuously to keep providing value

Yeah BBQ + Pop is the small PP build for Killers, sure OP.

• ManWithALemon
    ManWithALemon Member Posts: 422

body is 1 character too short

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

That's not braindead at all though

The killer needs to actually win chases and hook survivors for either of those perks to do anything

You could argue ruin + undying is braindead (Especially pre-nerf) because all you need to do in order for ruin to work is walk to a gen. I'm not saying I agree with that either, but it's an argument you could make

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I never said BBQ was overpowered, just the combo of BBQ and Pop

It's just a bit weird how you said you didn't say it was op but then turned it around.

If the combo was overpowered, killers using those perks would be winning every single game left and right. I use this frequently, but I don't 4k every single game with it.

And the perks do have counterplay and are balanced. The perks together are not OP, but they reward the killer for doing their job.

Pop rewards the killer for killing survivors and so does BBQ. Thing is, that if a killer chases survivors off a generator and uses pop on it, they give up distance on the survivors who were just there.

Some counterplay for BBQ would be getting inside the 40-meter range of the hooked survivor, hiding behind the a generator's aura, and getting in a locker.

Some counterplay for pop would be to not let a killer pop the same generator twice by letting it regress more (more beneficial than you would think) and splitting up on generators. Splitting up on generators is definitely the best way to counter or reduce the effects of pop. The perk will only work once in a time limit of 45 seconds after each hook the killer gets as well.

Also, thrilling tremors does the same thing. So would thrilling + pop also be OP? What about surveillance + pop?

Pop and BBQ are definitely balanced.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

No counter. Except for:

• Using a locker
    • Perks that hide your aura.
    • Hiding your aura behind the generator
    • Getting within 40 meters of the killer

Pop regresses a gen by 20 seconds, which is SOOO MASSIVE, except that:

• It requires a hook
    • Picking someone up walking them to a hook, hooking them, then walking to a generator probably takes about 20-25 seconds. More if you aren't near the gen you want to pop.
  • AceInTheKate
    AceInTheKate Member Posts: 100

Pop is needed and bbq isn't even that good. Bbq is really only good for bloodpoints. That's why I use it. Tinker or discordance are better then bbq

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

Well they are meta perks for a reason.

Pop is negotiable. I personally prefer ruin. BBQ is there because who the hell doesn't want more blood points? Most of the time, I forget to even look around for auras. Just give me my money.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

Then how are killers suppose to slow the game down when you can complete all 5 gens in less than 5 minutes eh? pop is needed and So is Ruin.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I know you are being serious, more is the pity. Your understanding of this game is clearly still in its infancy. Your manners do need a bit improvement too. Your title is basically an insult to any Killer using those Perks. I don't see this as a joke, but rather as a rude deficiency in your knowledge. Let me explain a few things:

1. Barbecue & Chili is probably the BEST Perk for Survivors because it vastly reduces the amount of camping that would be taking place. Killers leave the vicinity of the hook because they seem some DISTANT potential targets. Remember, it doesn't show them anyone close, only far away. That means they are going to leave to cash in on those sweet extra Blood Points and thus someone has the opportunity for a safe rescue. The people on the Generators, far away, have plenty of time (if they are paying attention) to either counter the Perk or depart for safety. Will your Generator get kicked? Probably. But Generators get kicked all the time; it isn't the end of the world. Moreover, for this Perk to work, the Killer is engaging in chases to get that down and hook. Chases mean the other Survivors could have been finishing Generators. See where that is going?
    2. Pop only works if the Killer is getting hooks. It isn't passive like Ruin. It means you have an active Killer chasing around the map. This means Survivors can coordinate, move through different Generators getting all of them going to different stages if need be, and earn their own BP in chases (Generators only give you so much). Pop means the Killer will actually take time to go kick a Generator, which is more time to the Survivors to do other things, and depending on how far away they go to kick one, gives more chances for safe rescues. Without Pop, many Killers don't even bother to kick Generators; they just keep running you down.

You need to be careful about confusing insults with accuracy. Not all Killers take this combination, and I assure you that the potent Ranks have a very wide variety of builds. I, myself, run Corrupt Intervention, Ruin, Surveillance, and Play With Your Food. The synergy for me is that any Generator they work goes white when I run them off it, and then gives me a big YELLOW signal when they come back. Information is power, and it is far more effective and nuanced than Barbecue & Chili. Am I braindead for this combination? I certainly waste very little time on searching for my prey. And what about Tinkerer combined with ANY high mobility Killer? What about Pop+Oppression? Killers run different builds to compliment personal play style and there are a lot of different play styles.

If you are suffering badly against Barbecue & Chili + Pop, you clearly need to up your game. It means you aren't taking any of the MANY counters to the Barbecue & Chili, and you and yours are way to reliant on teaming on one Generator rather than spreading out and getting many of them going at once. Stop blaming other people for your personal failings.

• Healthore77992
    Healthore77992 Member Posts: 570

The difference is that those two perks rewards you for making good play, unlike DH, DS, BT etc etc

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited March 2021

Braindead. LMAO

You don't play killer much at high ranks, do you? The amount of juggling you have to do. Hell. when I chase somebody off a gen with pop, I have to make a split-second decision to either use the pop or go for a quick chase. If I do the former, I risk losing the survivor in a tough to catch area. If I do the later, I risk losing potential loss of 20 seconds on a generator. All while keeping track of everything else I need to keep track of.

Brain dead indeed..... go ######### yourself

No counter? You don't understand how to use the fine art of misdirection with auras? You don't understand how to prepare for the incoming hook ahead of time? Who's the brain-dead one here exactly?