Playing killer with MMR has to be the most unenjoyable experience in the past 6 months

Botiz
Botiz Member Posts: 483
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

So my main killer is Blight, and usually I win a ton of games with him and have a ton of fun with him.

Today? Nah, today has been absolutely horrendous. Almost every game i've felt completely helpeless, i'm lucky if I even get two kills and i've experienced so much toxicity from having to tunnel and camp to even feel like I can stand a chance. Map offerings, SWFs, constant meta crutch perks, I felt so helpless.

This has been the most unenjoyable experience in the past 6 months of playing DBD and I will most likely quit if MMR does end up becoming introduced permanently.

EDIT: To clear things up, I don't expect to win every single game. I don't mind if I lose if I have fun, but when i'm constantly going against the same stressful thing every single game and feel like I never stood a chance from the beginning, it just makes me not want to play at all.

Post edited by Botiz on

Comments

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804
    edited March 2021

i've noticed this as well, first 2 games I played I curb stomped the survivor with trapper and wraith but as soon as i switch to Demo 2 gens pop before i even get a hook because the survivors are simply better then me (that and maps, i really hate Torment Creek and Azarovs)

if this is what i have to deal with every time i decide to play some of my favourite killers then count me the hell out

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

It's ok, every game was super sweaty as killer but not in a way that i couldn't have won, every match was very close. The reason i won most of these games was that there was at least 1 baby survivor in it who couldn't loop. The difference i've seen was that gens were flying even faster but it was balanced out by the fact that they weren't as good in chases.

In the matches i've lost it was very obvious how powerful just dropping (or pre-dropping) every pallet is without even trying to save some of 'em or gain some additional time out of it. If the other 3 sit on gens it's a very powerful strategy on most maps with enough pallets.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I've played a LOT of games over the last 24 hours. I managed to "win" maybe two. Admittedly I still had a lot of fun, and probably improved but right now I want some of those lovely Megs that try to hide behind tiny trees and those bald Dwights that just look up into the sky right now.

I also played a couple of survivor games. I was teamed with rank 20s. That seemed about right for my skill level.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,469
    edited March 2021

Playing as survivor it's alright, but playing as killer it didn't change a thing. I was still stuck with teams that played toxic and took every advantage they could. mind you I was playing as pyramid head and I really don't have a main killer.

if you're a low level killer the MMR didn't help at all.

I think I played my worst match ever. I've never seen survivors so afraid of death that they will sit in a place you can't hit them anytime you come close and one even stayed there the entire game knowing I couldn't hit him. I let the entity get him and it was funny the hatch spawned right next to him but he wasn't getting that. and no matter what the skill level gen rushing is still a thing.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

You should only get 2 kills on average. If you are getting slight less, it will adjust your MMR down. Because of how bad matchmaking has been, you are use to really bad teams because there's low level players mixed with mid levels and high levels. You're able to take someone out really quick because they're bad and then the match is easy because 3 players don't really stand a chance when you can get rid of someone at 5 gens.

This is how the game should play. 2 kills, 2 escapes. Before the game was badly messed up and as a killer, you didn't see it but as survivors, no one was hardly ever escaping. Now it's more balanced for both sides.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    edited March 2021

1.) In order for a killer to win at the highest MMR there has to be a weak link you need a survivor out of the game when there is 0 weak link you will lose 100% yes.

2.) No one said i need to win against people below my skill level but i realize people that know how to 3 gen split and 3 gens are done by the time i down one survivor predropping pallets then yes the games over.

3.) Yes it has shown this game at the highest MMR is unwinnable and should be scrapped its not going to work no tweak in the world could fix this problem. Unless the developers address gen speed which isn't going to happen because they can't really do anything else to gen speed.

This isn't a balancing issue this is if you are a good killer and face the top 10% of Survivors you are going to lose based on gen speeds perks and of course more factors like maps point is you are free to believe what you want too but no fix in history could balance around survivors splitting on gens good luck.

Just to add on some of your favorite Killer streamers are struggling basically showing what most feared the system is flawed at the highest mmr and we're seeing that now with how Survivor sided this game can be at the highest MMR.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,236

Nothing can fix balancing issues while we patch up the holes with broken matchmaking and pretend there's no problem, sure.

Gen speeds are a huge issue for coordinated SWFs. Add in early game gen slow down mechanics, new objectives, etc.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    edited March 2021

No ones saying patch up the issue with broken matchmaking its called getting over the fact this game is not fully COMPETITIVE it has aspects yes but saying its fully competitive is like calling a cooking simulator competitive hell that game probably has less RNG and other factors that flaw the system then this game.

Next they've scrapped the early game idea claiming they have something in mind if you have faith in them then good on you but riddle me this we're going on 5 years now with the same issue as 2016 no matchmaking system is going to fix that. You are free to believe this is good for the game and im free to voice that against good survivors who know what they have to do to win the game is heavily favored towards them and this system is only showing just that also a lot of these Survivors actually weren't SWF actually a lot of them were solo.

• crowbarman
    crowbarman Member Posts: 499

I can't see how Killers are going to be ultimately matched up fairly with survivors when there is still a big balance in queue wait times.

Are they going to make killers sit for a match longer (as well as survivors) to get the appropriate matchup? Didn't seem like it yesterday.

• Munqaxus

That's the way it is with every game. The top players are going to be using the best items.

If you want to play the game like it was before MMR, then the Devs should just change the survivors into Bots so killers can get their 4ks.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,274

I don't get what bots have to do with this, I'm just highlighting my concern about the lack of variety of what survivors and killers can use in high-rank games.

• Dragonshensi
    Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516

I’m not the e best killer and I kept getting matches with red rank SWFs before the system was implemented. Now we have this? It’s worse. I keep getting SWF teams and gen rushers who complete three gens before I can even down someone. If this system is given the green light I’m giving up on Killer. Killer matches were already terrible but this makes it even worse. Which I’m surprised is possible.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Same and I cam play every killer this was the first time I could enjoy twins because of mmr

• onemind

Yea ik I played 2 games and allready miss mmr it wasn't perfect but its was better

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

I dont get to play often, so i stay around the same ranks quite often. As a rank 17 GF, I was surprised to face a twitch streamer 2 man who were all purple ranks. I got a 4k so does that mean I'll get reds tonight? 😅

• onemind
  • onemind

I would rather wait 5 min for a decent game thank 1min to be so stressed for 20min that it may be unhealthy at that point

• CryptFriend
    CryptFriend Member Posts: 416

As a person who hates "the meta" of any game with a burning passion, I agree completely. I don't want to play games that are cookie-cutter [BAD WORD], just because that's what people are used to and think is best--shaking things up in a game is healthy, and when it comes down to it, I'm okay handing off sweat squads to sweaty killers who enjoy that sort of thing.

I'm no Hans or Frans, I'm not going to "pump myself up" with perks I don't want to use to play in a way that I don't enjoy. I'd rather face survivors (or killers, in the times I play the other role) who want to try their own fun stuff and work against each other to both do our best. Playing under MMR actually let me do that for once, and you bet your pointy keister I want to do that again.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see the same thing over and over--you're playing a game! Have fun, live a little!

Whatever. Rant said, point made.

• onemind

I wonder if takeing a break from a certain killer slowly lowers your rating on that killer because if so you could still main said killer then when it's too much. play a different killer and tomorrow it wont be as difficult

• onemind

And yet the only time I got even slightly agitated was when I was playing my main but even then they were good so its not like it was impossible just difficult

• crowbarman
    crowbarman Member Posts: 499
    edited March 2021

The killer may wait longer, but then the survivor will wait even longer than they are already.

• Zamblot
    Zamblot Member Posts: 270

With a good team is the keyword I'm afraid. When you aren't with a 4 man SWF some solos can be nightmares and MMR doesn't help that

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437

if you can't take an L and only have fun when you get 4k's that's your problem. soon you'll lose enough that it will adjust your mmr into lower ranks and you can have fun again.

• rglarson13
    rglarson13 Member Posts: 205

A lot of people keep pointing to the 2k as the gold standard of fairness in a match, but logically it doesn't make much sense.

Because it's an symmetrical have, at some point the match either is or will become unbalanced.

It's either balanced for 4v1, meaning as soon as the killer gets a kill it tilts in his favor. Meaning once there's one kill there are likely to be more. This increases until there are no survivors left in the match.

Or maybe the game is balanced for 3v1. When the match starts with 4 survivors the killer is at a disadvantage, and has an uphill battle to overcome that issue. If he can't get a lucky break somewhere then the game will end with 0k. If he can kill 2 survivors then it's now in his favor and that last one is easier to get.

And the same story for if the game is balanced for 2v1.

I don't think anyone could make any argument for why the game is balanced for 1v1.

The point is that matches should be more likely to end with either a 0k or a 4k than anything in between.

Sure, maybe while you're chasing someone the other survivor us doing a gen, but that's not really balance -- the idea there is that the game proceeds in a predictable, linear fashion, with the killer requiring, e.g., 90 seconds to find, down, and hook a single survivor, while finding and completing a gen takes each survivor 100 seconds.

If that's the case (which really does seem to be how the devs view "BaLaNcE") then winning or losing a match hinges on RNG placement of generators at least as much as it does on a killer's ability to extend the time required to complete a gen of survivors who are outside of the chase or the survivors' ability to increase the killer's time between hooks.

But if that's the case, then there's no "balance" and we shouldn't expect a 2k to indicate an even match, because the distance between gens and a specific killer characters's mobility have much more to do with that time than the skill of the killer player.

Also, while the killer's ability to reduce time between hooks is limited, the survivors can fairly easily force the killer to spend extra time between hooks by quickly getting to multiple generators that are far apart, and maximize the overlap of time required for each gen completion, because while a killer can only hook one survivor at a time, survivors can complete up to 4 gens at once.

• Munqaxus

You do understand what "Average" is? If one match is a 4k and the next is a 0k, then you have a 2k average.

• rglarson13

Yes, but my point is that we shouldn't expect a 2k, let alone take it as a sign that the match was fair.

Look at it this way: we should expect everyone we meet to have an average of 1.95 eyes, or whatever, because some people have fewer than 2 and bring the average down. But I bet you don't meet someone with 1.95 eyes very often.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069

With wins do you mean 4k? Or 3k + hatch like otz did?

• rglarson13

It's not mechanical balance, though. In what way is it?

People arbitrarily decided that 2 was half of the survivors, so that must be balanced.

But given the nature of the game a 2k should be rare. Being symmetrical means the match should tilt one way or the other, and once it does you're more likely to end with either a 0k or a 4k.

For a 2k to be a likely outcome, what's being "balanced" is the time to achieve advantage vs the time a match takes to complete.

If the idea is that a 2k is balanced, then the killer must start with the advantage -- given enough time he'll kill everybody (which is what we see, generally). Meaning the only thing being balanced is how long gens take to complete.

Except that like I said, map size, gen placement, and killer mobility vary too much for that to be dialed in and achieve any sort of balance.

• Profezia
    Profezia Member Posts: 673

I mean, you finally got a worthy opponent and it just so happens the game is survivor sided on high levels of play.

I really hope new MMR system that will match good with good and bad with bad instead of sorting people by played time will show everyone how actually things are in the game.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,772

3k + hatch because I don't enjoy slugging in general, slugging for the 4k being included. I feel like I won with 3k+h so I won with 3k+h

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited March 2021

The reason the forum is pointing out the 2k as the gold standard for fairness is because in the past, the Devs have stated several times that they design around the goal of 2k-2e.

We see how that has worked out so far, but that standard came from the Devs, themselves.

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264

I don't understand why killers complain that survivors use every advantage they can and use meta perks...like, what do you expect them to do? Just sit around and let you kill them?

Very puzzled with why there's always so much hate for DS too considering it's a one and done, it usually only comes in handy if you're being tunnelled, and if you don't like it, it's easily avoided.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I was hoping that MMR would get me out of the ######### hellscape that is the ultra-skilled W-holding, but no. I guess I can just go ######### myself. No fun allowed.

I think I'm going to main Spirit if the MMR goes live. Screw caring about my opponents fun when they clearly don't care about mine.

I wish this stupid game had a better Bloodlust system so that I could actually play any killer bar Blight, Nurse and Spirit.

• Botiz

I feel pretty confident in my skills with Blight.

If I do have a high MMR with Blight, and MMR is working correctly then i'm also going against high MMR survivors.

Against high MMR survivors where there are likely to be more occurrences of SWFs, only Nurse and Spirit can compete.

• Botiz

I can take a loss if it also meant I had fun that match.

The issue is, if i'm not having fun, it means I have to constantly keep losing again and again whilst not having fun at all until i'm at a lower MMR where I can have fun.

Not everyone is going to want to play to lose to not have fun just to lower their MMR.

• Botiz
    edited March 2021

As someone who plays both sides pretty equally, the verbal abuse i've received over my playstyle or perks as killer has been 100x more than what i've received as survivor (which is like, nothing at all) and i've been playing September 2018.

So when you try actually switching up your build and then you see survivors constantly using the same DS + Unbreakable combo and want to go back to your regular meta build as killer, you've gotta be prepared for verbal abuse in either post-game chat or DMs.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069

Alright congratz for the winstreak.

I never counted my wins, i should start it too soon.

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208

Sounds like you were just smashing solo queue potatoes and now you’re getting actual skilled survivors due to your SBM ranking being inflated on Blight. I don’t know what your definition of “tons of wins” is but if it’s 4ks then you should know the game isn’t balanced that way and you’re going to be in for one hell of a rough time if you don’t adapt.

I love this sbm test and I hope to God it goes live.

• realflashboss
    realflashboss Member Posts: 328

I think the matchmaking was better. Ignoring the ranks I've been and played against yellow ranks were good and reds who were potatos! It just shows the system is matching on skill.

You need to give MMR time to put you against hard matches til you find your skill level. If you keep losing eventually you'll go up against fairer matches.

What's the point in playing as killer if you're just going to constantly get potato teams every 8/10 games and vice versa for survivor.

Unfortunately with the old rank system you go against people you think are fairly matched cuz they're red rank and they're actually not good, so yes I've had some games which are a lot more sweaty but for the most part I think it's been better and closer games as both killer and survivor!