What exactly is Witch hunting, and is it bannable?

Options
Oreo7
Oreo7 Member Posts: 56

Now I know Ochido got banned for witch-hunting and some other things categorized as exploits. But here is my situation: someone on reddit (I will not be disclosing a username) wants to "mass-report" a certain player. I do not know who this other player is, or what was said or done to the redditor.

I decided to comment and warned him that I thought witch hunting in that sense was bannable. My logic is this: this person is gathering people who had nothing to do with this player in the first place, to go report said player over and over in an attempt to get him banned. I'm pretty sure that's witch hunting, right? Surely it can't be limited to streamers.

Either way, I told him I would not join him and to be careful since the plan could backfire and get HIM banned. He said he didn't know that, and asked if it was true. I told him I was sure it was and that I'd link proof if I found it.

I was unable to find anything directly mirroring the current situation: it was all streamers and such, who were sending all their followers to report people. But really, I see this as no different.

He would be banned should his plan backfire, yes? I feel like it's definitely something that should be a rule, if it's not already. You had a bad game and want to get an otherwise innocent person (they should be otherwise-innocent to you, as I assume you haven't played against them before) banned over what I can only guess was camping and tunneling. That is unacceptable to me.

Comments

• lucidlux
    lucidlux Member Posts: 56
    Options

Because its the internet, and people don't want to be held accountable for their actions.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited March 2021
    Options

"Witch Hunting" and "Naming And Shaming" are frowned upon as it calls for action on something you don't have good evidence for. And as somebody who has played 100% legit but still dealt with Hacking accusations, I believe this to be the right call.

"Witch Hunting" falls under the prohibition against multi-platform harassment which will most definitely get you banned.

BTW - never speak of "He Who Must Not Be Named". He's pedophile trash whose channel needs to die - and people need to stop feeding him analytics by even typing his name.

• Oreo7
    Oreo7 Member Posts: 56
    Options

I will let him know that he's making a mistake if he wants to keep playing then. As for who or whatever it was you were talking about, never heard of it/them. And either way, I'm pretty sure you're not talking about Voldemort lol