Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How do YOU play Trickster best?

Komi
Komi Member Posts: 364

This isn't gonna be "Take a Dump on Trickster - Thread #79" but rather a thread for people who have managed to have some luck with him. For example, I find he becomes a lot better during the endgame due to a lack of gens, making all survivors group up for unhooks, where his power really starts to shine. Outside that, I only find his daggers useful after a pallet drop, because going for basic attacks is usually faster/better at removing health states in every other situation.

Any other crucial tips Trickster Mains have found about him?

Comments

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193

Tunnel hard or just lose miserably. That's what i noticed

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839
    edited April 2021

Use his knife-pee-stream to guide Survivors away from places you don't want to chase them. Despite how weak an individual knife is, Survivors don't seem too keen on eating one just to hop into a jungle gym. Sure, you are throwing a few knives out by doing this, but would you rather land 6 and lose them all because you can no longer get LoS, or lose 6 and actually get an injury out of it?

• Komi
    Komi Member Posts: 364

When would be a good time to activate Main Event? I usually end up wasting it due to a convenient loop/tile being nearby that they hide behind.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

The best strategy for Trickster is not to play him. >:)

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

You dont you just die inside and wonder what the ######### the devs and almo were thinking when they made this unpolished turd excuse for a chapter

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Never. Main Event is currently a detriment in almost every way imaginable. The few benefits it gives is not worth the onslaught of penalties is showers you in.

Main Event has a start up time. During that time, you could have landed a few more knives to injure someone. Now you lost them because of that start up time.

Main Event makes you automatically shoot unless you cancel the ability. This KILLS your ability to mind game, since you are literally shooting a water hose of KNIVES wherever you look.

Main Event makes you move incredibly slow.

Main Event does not let you vault windows, break pallets, open lockers, nothing. Only shoot knives.

Main Event has a fatigue at the end, so if someone is still standing, they can get away.

Main Event puts your normal knives on a Cooldown, so now you're just an M1 Killer with no power for several seconds.

There are a few times where Main Event could theoretically be the right call. IF you have it active and you see a Survivor taking another Survivor off a hook, then yes, use it. The chance to injure them both is worth it. Other than that... you're better off not using it.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

Pfft, I'd be surprised if anyone here consider themselves to be a Trickster main, heh.

Anyways, the way I play him is similar to how I would usually play Huntress and Deathslinger offensive-wise, but I also play him in a different way. For example, if I end up getting Main Event activated after downing a survivor, I use the Main Event instead of wasting it. This would be effective with Infectious Fright.

I might expand on this post if I remember how I played him.

• elpoh
    elpoh Member Posts: 222

survivors know how to loop, takes 2 gens to down a survivor

next survivor know how to loop, takes another 2 gens to down him

and maybe at the end you get 1/2 kills camping a hooked survivor

if they are bad you get a easy down spamming blades, but today i only get good survivors who keep losing blade-damage while looping in jumgle gyms

• I just use knives as much as possible. Play the way the designers intended, don't worry about winning just try to have fun. I tend to play nice and the survivors have fun too. I've dropped 5 ranks because of it lol

Its just a shame you get some toxic teams that want to tbag and hurl abuse even though you're playing a weak killer and playing nice. But I get it, thats BHVR's primary audience. They sell and promote the game on toxicity.

• papabear2009
    papabear2009 Member Posts: 115

Two things I've learned that has drastically helped my Trickster

1. The perk Monitor & Abuse, the trickster has this like sweet spot of downing a survivor really fast with his knives so if you can sneak up on a survivor working on a gen that isn't in or near a jungle gym or something that can easily break line of sight they are going down.
    2. Plan out your hooks, try to hook survivors near wide open areas or with low terrain loops. Just again try avoiding areas that can mess with line of sight.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

I think the only way to make him somewhat competent right now is taking a Deathslinger approach to him: M&A, STBFL, BBQ, pop/corrupt, use your power for quick downs over small loops because there's very little survivors can do to stop that if you're accurate. And uh....um...that's it, he's a 110% M1 killer everywhere else.

And never use Main Event because right now it's worse than using his primary power.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184
    edited April 2021

It seems like every build I see succeeding is one that just throws lots of slowdowns like ruin, undying, pop, [tracking perk]. also, be a bit reserved about throwing knives. The more you throw, the slower you become so throw a few, cancel, start power, then throw more.

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

NEVER use main event. It takes to long to start and slows you down. It's actually hurts you more than helps.

Knives are useless except for low wall trash loops, pallet vaults where you can continue to throw knives over, and SOMETIMES windows. Otherwise m1 is the way to go.

And thats basically it. It's pretty much playing huntress or death slinger without using your ranged attack which is bad.