The DS nerf is just like the Hex:ruin nerf

Options

I've seen a lot of posts complaining about tunneling being really bad after the DS nerf and how the game is now unfun but if you think about it, it's like the ruin nerf all over again.

Killers relied heavily on the Hex:ruin, so much that i think it was in like 80 percent of the matches in red ranks. and after the nerf ALOT of killers complained and said that they would leave the game for it. some did maybe but others adapted (like me). there was no longer a perk that would automatically stop gen progression so i had to get better at the game.

The new DS is just like that, i gathered data on the killer matches i played last chapter and DS was the most used survivor perk alongside dead hard but after the nerf it sits in 8th place. it's almost like all the players who used it, used it as a free invincibility for one minute and not an anti tunneling perk.

so now it's here again. either adapt and outgrow the reliance on the perk or leave.

Comments

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Both perks needed nerfs but one is better now while one is objectively worse

Ruin was more of a rework tbh

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

It was a great change and ruin in its current state is amazing

• Farshad7913
    Farshad7913 Member Posts: 58
    Options
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Personally, I can't call any Hex perk "amazing" by virtue of being a Hex perk.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,144
    Options

Old ruin was stronger than current ruin. They function the same, but the difference is old ruin slowed gens down without doing anything. Both still only last for about 30-60 seconds at high level play. And with the undying nerf it's better to just run ruin as an early game alternative to corrupt intervention and just run pop alongside it.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425
    Options

Its an actual anti tunnel perk now instead of 60 seconds of invincibility. You start contributing to the game again or get healed, and the killer can no longer be tunneling you.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I disagree. In my opinion, there is one big difference between DS Nerf and Hex;Ruin nerf, which is the counterplay.

I wholeheartedly believe that Old Ruin was better than New Ruin, because of its global effect. With New Ruin, you can make 1 gen loose a lot of progress, which is great. But it is one, just one gen. Old Ruin affected every single generator in the map, meaning that you could actually chase people without worrying about 3 gens being completed. You still had to effectively pressure gens, of course, but it was much more manageable. 

However, both Old Ruin and New Ruin are Hex perks. If you cleanse the Totem, they are gone.

With DS, however, there was nothing you could do. Imagine the following scenario: you are playing your favourite killer on Gas Heaven, and you see a recently unhooked survivor, which happens to be the obsession, working on a generator. What do you do?

-Attack them and slug? Unbreakable and they are up again.

-Grab then? DS

-Leave them be? Gen gets done.

The recent DS nerf is a good thing because it removes the full invincibility. But it targeted a perk which had zero counterplay to begin with, unlike Ruin.

In conclusion, the DS nerf was needed because there was nothing you could do about the perk. The Ruin nerf was not needed because Hex perks have counterplay.

• Fmulator
    Fmulator Member Posts: 3
    Options

I think he’s talking about the reliance part not which one was more Broken

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    Options

Ruin was changed, and it is actually stronger now.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

Ah, well.... I wrote this for nothing? Feels bad :(

But my point still stands.

• vladspellbinder
    vladspellbinder Member Posts: 320
    Options

Old D.S. did have counterplay though: slugging. The problem was not with D.S. but D.S. alongside Unbreakable or, in some cases, Soul Guard. And even being able to pick themselves up off the ground doesn't matter as you shouldn't be hovering around them while they are on the ground anyways. Slug and move on to the next nearby gen but be ready to come back either as soon as they are off the ground or after you are sure the D.S. timer is out.

My main problem with old D.S. was is that the game is so buggy I'd go for an M1 at a gen, an unhook, or a vault and I'd get a grab instead. And then get hit with D.S. because the game gave me the wrong action. Same thing with running Save The Best For Last, you go for a grab and get nothing or get an M1 hit.

As for all the people who are complaining about the nerf they were the ones who abused it, and if not then relied on it far too much. And for the ones saying "more people tunnel now", that's true but not to the level they are thinking, they are just seeing it more often now than before because they are getting more matches without an Obsession, because they don't run D.S. anymore of course, so all the Killers who already tunneled in that case now get to tunnel them. The core of D.S. has not changed, and there were Killers who didn't respect it before so of course they won't respect it now.