Deathsligner: What would you guys change to stop complaining

Options

I've seen many threads about Deathsligner and how unfun or oppressive he is in one vs one. From personal experience playing as him and vs him I've notice that he's far from being as oppressive as people say for a couple of reason.

First let's that about ingame cool-down:

1. ADS have a 0.15s Activate/Deactivate delay
  2. Firing have a 0.5s delay -> that delay is from the moment you click on the attack button to the moment he fire
  3. Projectile speed is 40m/s aka it take 0.25s for 10m and 0.45 at 18m (max distance)

I think we can agree that most of the time you'll get shot at 10m or more distance wise which mean a delay of 0.15+0.50+0.25= 0.90s from the moment Caleb start aiming or 0.75s delay from the moment he click the attack button.

In addition to this delay the killer has to factor in the lag/latency.

At base minimum the Caleb player have to predict where the survivor is gonna be in 0.75s after he click the attack button + latency which can give enough time for a survivor to drop a pallet or vault a window allowing the survivor to not get downed. Also keep in mind that his hit box is really small.

Now for the other cool-down:

1. 0.5s for successful Spear Hit
  2. 1.5s for missed Spear Hit
  3. Reload time of 2.75s
  4. Broken Chain Stun penalty of 4s

Now we may disagree on how strong he is overall but it's quite clear that adding even the tiniest cool-down would add a lot over an entire game.

Personally I wouldn't mind having more cool-down for ADS in exchange for lower firing delay

He also get highly punished for a missed Spear Hit & Broken Chain Stun, more than any other killer. Maybe we could lower these cool-down if his initial ADS take somewhere between 0.5-1.0s.

Comments

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

I'm going to continue to complain about him until he can no longer zone. Complaining about Deathslinger is my favorite pastime on the forum, narrowly edging out trying in vain to explain to people that the devs don't hate killer/survivor because they nerfed/buffed X, Y, or Z that hurt their preferred side.

• Airless
    Airless Member Posts: 156
    Options

Just increase the ads time to 0.35 secs. I'd also allow for his chain to reach 20 meters, and landing a spear more then 15 meters aways increase the health of the chain. This punishes the annoying part of slinger, and rewards actual skillful shots

• BananaBlooD95
    BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 555
    Options

Yes but if you increase his ADS you obviously make him weaker. IMO if you increase his ADS he should see his firing delay reduce. The guy is bloated with cool-down already.

• BananaBlooD95
    Options

I like the idea of pushing him toward more ranged shot but he has a 4s stun if you break the chain and this is a long cool-down considering you'll have to reload adding 2.75s + slower movement giving effectively more than 7s for the survivor + the free speed boost.

• Airless
    Airless Member Posts: 156
    Options

That's why I would allow for more chain health for longer shots. If you still can't get the hit, just m1 if you don't want the stun. Or let them break it so you can at least injure them.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

Or at the very least that you don't get deep wounded if you were healthy when you got shot. If you break free from the chain as a healthy survivor it's basically the same as being hit; the only difference is a few meters of distance. Plus, the deep wound makes sense as a reward for hitting you twice (once with the chain, once with the M1 at the end of it); I don't see why it should deep wound you otherwise.

• BananaBlooD95
    Options

He have a 4s stun plus 2.75s reload+ slow movement when reloading. If you remove the damage on broken chain you have to reduce the cool-down to make it fair.

• ryanb122197
    ryanb122197 Member Posts: 77
    Options

Unpopular opinion but I actually don’t mind deathslinger. I rather go against him over a Freddy. Plus his music is the real catJAM

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

Nothing. he is fine as he is.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    Options

Yea. I wouldn't mind reducing his stun when it breaks at all.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,256
    Options

Two changes I'd make to Deathslinger

• Give Deathslinger an accuracy meter - Aiming down sights takes a chunk out of it and holding aim down sights gradually but slowly drains it. The less accurate the more shaky Deathslingers aim becomes. You won't notice this until it's about 50% and if you take quick shots you won't ever notice it. Basically a way to balance out the constant Aim Down Sights spam.
    • Add little targets on the map Deathslinger can shoot for advantages - Such as a high up post that can help Deathslinger reel himself up vertically to bypass a wall.
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

nothing.

he is not in the position where he'd need to be changed.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    Options

I am ok with this but not the fire delay that would make him feel clunky

What I would of done was he has to be aimed for .2s to shoot or he can stay aimed for 1.5s to have his max shoot range increased from 18m to 24m this makes a click sound for him letting him know that his chain strengths has increased to compsate for the range increase

Finally he can shoot breakable walls and pallets, reeling them in while holding back to break them. while reeling while holding forward giving him a small speed boost without breaking it.

The last part seems useless but I would find it funny seeing a cowboy just speeding across the street of dead dog following his chain like a grapple gun

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

Add a cooldown if he ADSes without shooting, something similar to what PH has

Yep,that's what i was thinking aswell.

It's pretty stupid that he can fake his shot multiple times in a row without any penalty

• Harold_Shipman
    Harold_Shipman Member Posts: 737
    Options

Force everybody to play as him for a couple of weeks so they can see how gimped he can really be on some maps.

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 752
    Options

tbh i'd reduce his movespeed but i'm just mad cus bad. he's perfectly fair, i just suck against him LOL

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,807
    Options

The only irritating thing about Deathslinger is the sheer power of his ads zoning. Literally forces you to lose distance because at any second he could quickly aim and fire and you can’t react.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

I don't think there's much that can be down without going too far in one direction or the other. At end of the day he's balanced because he has no map pressure even though his 1v1 is completely uninteractive.

The only thing I would do is to make his terror radius more consistent, because it's too quiet at edges.

• ClumsyTrapper
    ClumsyTrapper Member Posts: 544
    Options

I just don't like that deathslingers counter play is hope he misses

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,573
    Options

So you want him nerfed on ADS.. So are you gunna buff his chain health then so he can easily drag Survivors? =D

So you're wanting to Nerf his power so he can't use Stbfl Properly? Gunna buff him on something else?

Cause slinger is 110%. Ph is 115%. There's your difference, Lest you want a 115% buffed Ranged killer that can't use it for zoning purposes,

The Real Issue Is. you can't Expect to nerf him WITHOUT Giving him a actual buff.

He's fine and Balanced on where he is and can be Easily countered..

But people treat him like a regular 115% killer...

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720
    Options

IMO hes not a very strong character to play as. (remember, opinion). I picked up this character when he was launched into the game and tried him out. hes good at low ranks. high ranked play is a "NO". Because survivors can duck, dodge and play pallet loops very well. To avoid the spear.

• Callisto_
    Callisto_ Member Posts: 46
    Options

Tell me how do you “counter” a good slinger? Aside from LOS breakers but that kinda counters every killer, he doesn’t have much. You don’t dodge his gun, he just misses.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

Just give him a ######### louder terror radius

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,422
    Options

The free zoning is what makes him unfun to play against. He doesn't need to be nerfed though.

So ideally we'd somehow remove the free zoning but buff him in other ways to compensate.

• Altarf
    Altarf Member Posts: 1,044
    Options

As a Slinger/Plague main, here are my ideal changes:

-1.5 second mild slowdown and cool-down after aiming gun and putting it down, like PH.

-When the gun isn't loaded, Slinger moves at 4.6m/s / 115%. Press ctrl while the gun is loaded to instantly eject the bullet and unload the gun.

-Add-on pass.

-(maybe) Not apply deep wounds when the chain breaks if they're healthy. If injured, applies deep wounds.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options
  • DwightFairfield
    DwightFairfield Member Posts: 1,246
    Options

IMO Deathslinger is incredibly oppressive and strong IN CHASES, his ability to win chases quickly is incredible and incomparable to any other base killer

However he struggles awfully when it comes to map pressure due to his speed and weapon range, and his most prominent weakness being line of sight tends to drag chases on if a bad map is selected for him.

Sure he can down and hook you in 5 seconds but in that time 3 gens have gone off

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

You quoted me there but it sounds like you agree with me? I.e. if slinger gets nerfed he needs to be buffed in some other way

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,573
    Options

What i'm Referring is with the PH situation,

If you nerf His ADS, you needa buff something in his kit or his M/S. cause.. lemme tell you

These hitboxes are something else,

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508
    edited May 2021
    Options

Just do what games do about bunny hopping. Just make each ADS progressively slower until a cooldown is done. Problem solved. Deatshlinger maintains his identity without the infinite zoning. He should also have his mobility buffed.

• ryseterion
    ryseterion Member Posts: 445
    Options

I think that its stupid how he can shoot you from behind a pallet and still put you in mend. That and that his reeling speed should be 150 percent of what it is now, but the killer can only move left and right.

• PleassBuiltInNoed
    PleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618
    Options

if they nerf that they would have to give him full speed while aiming otherwise its a dead killer

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

Give him 2 spears before reloading then make him have a longer wind up to ads and remove his ability to hit through windows

• Drixpy_Jayyy
    Drixpy_Jayyy Member Posts: 181
    Options

For those who complain about deathslinger obviously does not know his counterplay all you have to do is misdirect him, bait him, dont go to unsafe spots where he can shoot you over, and HOLD FORWARD to a new safer spot if he misses but if he has fast reload that will be different.

• fr0sty1223
    fr0sty1223 Member Posts: 307
    Options

Deathslinger is literally fine. He is my favorite killer to go up against and provides a very fun round. The literal only issue with him is that his gun will sometimes shoot you through the corner of a wall or other objects. Cleanup his hit boxes and no one will complain.

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508
    Options

Be charitable. There's quite a few saying don't touch him at all. I myself, for the sake of those that find his M2 spam annoying would like a tradeoff to weaken the zoning but give him more mobility (his current weakness).

• SavouryRain
    SavouryRain Member Posts: 340
    Options

I guess Scott Jund is the weaker end of skilled survivors then lol

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

Once and for all:

Every change that ISN'T dynamic map creation would NOT pan out. Clearer soundscues and better info on how to break the chains might help, but any given change to his ADS, the TR, his speed or general mobility would NOT work.

Because either you'd make him as broken as freddy and bubba, or make him unplayable to the point where removing him entirely would be the better idea.

Let's break it down again

Increasing his windup time: Due to the limited range and projectile travel time you sometimes have to shoot from the hip. Giving him a longer windup would mean increasing his speed while aiming. increasing his speed while aiming would mean increasing his TR while doing so, which in turn means you'd have to increase the length of the chain, increasing the length of the chain however means increasing the strength of the chain, which means he'll be even stronger in chases, which is the main beef a lot of people have with him because they measure how good or bad a killer is by how easily they can be engaged in a chase (that the survivor can win)

in short: You can't alter the abilities (and no, giving him the same wind up as PH or demo also would not work cause the trail and shred have other properties that make up for that), but you CAN alter the maps. And dynamic map creation is not just possible, it would be beneficial for both sides.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

Have his gun make a kazoo sound instead of a gun sound, and I would be okay.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

A larger Disclaimer than the tips for Survivors that personal awareness and stealth are the primary tools for facing him.

Makes no sense for players to complain about chase when his power is solely based on line of sight.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

yeah. and that can be changed by reworking his sounds (and hey, poor sod's in for an audio update anyway, as he has no unique chase music on killer side).

just make the aiming sound more distinct (maybe a cheeky, mocking whistle before the metallic hum?) and start his TR music with maybe a clear rattlesnake sound?