The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Anyone on a chapter losing streak?

SMitchell8
SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302
edited May 2021 in General Discussions

Been playing for well over 3 years now, started before Myers was released. My favourite DLC was Ghostface and Oni by a mile, I was generally hyped about those 2 and Deathslinger to a degree. But since slinger, I've been personally underwhelmed with the killers/chapter themes released since. I am a fan of intimidating, menacing killers, I also love the unlicensed designs like Spirit, Plague, Oni and most of the old school characters. Going through the last couple of years though (IMO)

Pyramid head - Not a silent hill fan, never played it, not a bad killer design but never wanted to play him.

Blight - Not a fan of Blight's appearance and I'm a console player so his movement wasn't going to be ideal even if I did like him. I never was really sold on the pin ball esc mechanics in the first place plus there was no new map either

Twins - Awful aesthetic, no new map, avoid (was playing COD CW at the time of this chapter)

At this point I'm eagerly awaiting the next one in the hope that its something menacing and someone who id like to play as. I was checking daily for killer trailers and rumours but had to be patient.

Then I saw Trickster.

Trickster - Awful aesthetic and still can't see how he fits in dbd, I know that upsets a lot of people in the 'he doesn't have to be scary' fan club. His power looked pretty fun so I had to give him a try. Got bored of him pretty quick as he was weak as gnats **** and his knife throwing recoil was horrendous.

Chapter 20 - Like Silent Hill, never played RE so not a fan nor am I on the hype express. 😅 Going around in circles at this point. Surely they won't pick that Mrs DePetrescu (sounds like a Romanian footballer) over the Mr X guy. She could pass for Tricksters wife I guess, about as scary as each other. Hopefully there is a new map as i play a lot of survivor too.

I know many out there and quite a few who read this will have enjoyed at least 1 of the last 5 chapters, if not all of them, but are there any like myself who are still stuck maining killers from the early to mid chapters out of disappointment and lack of excitement/thrill of the current crop? I still enjoy Ghostface and Oni too much to leave them for any of the new bunch. For me, roll on Chapter 20 so I can look forward to Chapter 21 speculation.

Comments

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

My first chapter was Silent Hill. It came out when I was still a baby survivor and killer and barely knew anything about the game so technically my first actual chapter was Descend Beyond. I was hyped with that one but Binding of Kin and All Kill were both disappointing.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,742

Surely they won't pick that Mrs DePetrescu (sounds like a Romanian footballer) over the Mr X guy. She could pass for Tricksters wife I guess, about as scary as each other.

So, I know you said that you don't play Resident Evil. Therefore I'm gonna have to ask you to reserve judgement on characters from a game unless you've played it. Trust me, she's plenty scary in her own right, especially when she corners you because you took a wrong turn.

Or that time she shows up from out of nowehere and dices Ehtan's hand off. That's pretty scary too.

Maybe from appearences alone she doesn't look terrifying, but believe me she is. Especially in game, after she mutates.

Or if you're going from the standpoint that the Internet thirsted over her so she must not be scary, allow me to introduce you to the people that ship Leon and Mr. X. Unironically.

• SMitchell8

I wrote that sentence just for you as I knew you'd bite (not even joking) ;)

Do you honestly think she'll mutate like that in the game? If she stayed in her mutated form it would be cool. If I was playing as Jake as she turned up, Id offer to buy her a drink, not run away :P

• GoodBoyKaru

Honestly if she were to come to DBD I could see her having some sort of mutate power. Perform a certain amount of actions x amount of times to power up and when at full power, mutate and go on a rampage. Probably not her form in-game, because, yeah. Flight. Far too large. Too many teeth.

My point being, don't judge the scariness of a licensed character if you haven't played the game they're from.

Also, Jake couldn't reach to her waistline no offence.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    edited May 2021

Of the last 5 chapters released Blight is the only killer I actually enjoy on both sides tbh.

Dead Dawg was a great map but deathslinger is so incredibly dull to play and not fun as survivor.

PP made me have a happy trouser accident when I realised it was Heather in the trailer but has an incredibly dull and boring power design, and Midwhich, while a fantastic remake of the SH1 school map, is abysmal to play on.

Twins is Twins and Trickster, while a little fun to play is so overwhelmingly weak even in the hands of a good killer that its hard to enjoy him.

I feel like I'm slowly falling out of love with this game and the recent chapters/killer powers are the main reason for it.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

I feel like it's all been downhill since Plague. There's been small glimmers of hope now and then, but thats all really.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

When I played RE8 I was worried all the memes might make me less scared of her. Not the case

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I agree. Been playing for almost four years now and I haven't been excited about the last chapters either. I think we have enough killers and survivors. Either give us a legend or just fix the damn bugs

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Sometimes it takes a bit for new chapters to grow on me

I thought Blight was such a disappointment on release, after a while I've grown to love him as a character and love his power.

Unfortunately not true for Twins, as I still think they are fundementally flawed (Even if I think their power is still an amazingly unique concept)

Trickster's Aesthetic is still one I'm torn on, but I've grown to appreciate his character and power even if he's really weak.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

The only reason I think they ship those two characters is because their iconic and thats it.

• Dabihwow

Buddy, listen... the moment she slammed Ethan through the floor, I immediately said, "I pissed off the wrong woman!"

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,133

It's probably down to personal taste and what you're looking for in killers.

For me, it's been an alright year, but bearing in mind I'm a HUGE Silent Hill fan that has been a rather large factor. I'd also say Blight and Twins were really strong killers for anyone who took time to learn them. Trickster was the runt of the pack, though.

May I ask what you look for in an ideal killer? Is it a certain artistic look/ playstyle/ etc.?

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

Yeah everything after PH has been ######### for me. I like PH but honestly I like him more for the cages than for his actual power. I like the older RE games though so I think this chapter will be a slam dunk (in a good way) and they said the characters would be iconic so it's not gonna be lady double D's or some other random ho

• GoodBoyKaru

oh they ship them for many more reasons that that, trust me

• SMitchell8

Mostly its an aesthetic thing followed closely by fun. Oni and Spirit are two characters that I love the look of, Oni especially. Ghostface is good fun. I wanna feel the role of being an intimidating killer that unnerves the survivors.

• Dabihwow
    edited May 2021

That is something that will ever happen in this game, sadly. When you play the game so many times it kinda doesn't intimidate you anymore

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,133

I'd love some more killers that look and feel threatening to face! I'd also like more tortured killers. The earlier ones looked like they had been through a rough time with the Entity (Trapper, Wraith, Nurse, for example) and it'll be great to have some more of that. They too are quite daunting to look upon, even now.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,778

I like Blight and Trickster could be cool once they sort out his balance. Deathslinger, Pyramid Head, and Twins are my three least favorite killers to play against out of the entire roster. I agree that I feel better about most of their killer designs from the year prior. I'm cautiously optimistic for the RE chapter and I really hope they've learned their lesson with Deathslinger and Pyramid Head about not allowing zoning and keeping chases fun.

• SMitchell8

A good nurse/spirit is a threat and survivors don't like them. Hags jump scares and Myers popping up can be intimidating too. Oni demon dash causes a bit of panic. You make a fair point and are right what you are saying. My point was they can still engineer/squeeze a bit more tension from the games

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264

Wdym? A legend

Well do you want in the game,and why not make a killer concept of something you would enjoy

Instead of bashing behavior over chapter's that's not to you're specific taste.

I mean because you're not excited for the next chapter, doesn't mean you have to downgrade all the other's, the only problem, I could complain about is the lack of maps that came with out the last three originals ,but the killer's them selves are interesting and well rounded and Trickster is Op honestly .

• TheStabbiNAngeL

All people do is bully Pyramid Head and dodge his power easily but Pyramid Head never killed anyone so I guess it fits lore wise he wasn't much of a murderer but he tortured and abused James,Maria and other monster's

• Clevite
  • TheStabbiNAngeL

Resident Evil monsters are horror icon's, and so is Pyramid Head, but I get what you mean, you want movie icons it doesn't matter to me tho Silent Hill exsist in DBD

• TheStabbiNAngeL

Group hugs for everybody xoxo

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,778
    edited May 2021

I can't dodge his power without guessing when he's going to use it even on ~100ms ping. He also can still basically zone provided he doesn't time it badly and let a survivor vault or drop a pallet while leaving trail of torment and going for the M1.

• Clevite

Yeah exactly!!! Video game monsters are not as iconic as the classic horror movies, IMO.

• TheStabbiNAngeL

It's a bit of tomato tamato situation,but both genre's have their respective fan base ,but RE and SH both tapped into both genre's.Most movie based fans want know who some video game horror characters are, I mean there add more movie base horror icons eventually from my understanding the Candyman movie is coming out this June or July so it's possible if they've already made deals.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768

It's kinda amazing how people are eager to write such long texts just to spit poison on something they aren't interested in and mock people, who are interested, and pretty well-made characters they like. And besides, it's impossible for every single chapter to appeal to every single player, with tens of thousands people playing Dead by Daylight every single day. So what's the point of ranting and poking fun at others?

• SMitchell8

How was I spitting poison 🤦 Certainly didn't mock the two game franchises I stated that I haven't even played!!

Just said that I've not dived to buy a dbd DLC since Ghostface and Oni which we're a long time ago, that's quite a run. I also stated that no new maps for each of the last 4 have made my decision to avoid easier. For me, if chapter 21 floats my boat it was 5th times the charm.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

Well I admit that none of the new killers have intersted me other than one or two of their perks.

In the SH chapter, I only like the map, the killer is good to look at but I found him annoying to play against at first and have not been interested in playing as him either. The survivor didn't interest me either

I will compare that chapter to the RE one since they are both major chapters that released on the anniversary.

I am looking for something to like in the RE franchise so I've been looking at things that stand out to me and hoping for it to be implemented into this game however I'm not sure if I actually like these things or if I'm just telling myself that I do for the sake of having something to look forward to in the coming RE chapter.

Most likely I'll just like the map again and get the new killer only for one of their perks but never actually play the killer.

As for the survivor, I only want Leroy Kennedy just to look at not to play as him, and I have been harsh on Claire because she has the potential of replacing feng as my main.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,926

You seem extremely picky about the game you play. You do know its just a game right?

Aesthetic seems like a code word for "I don't like how this looks"

Also I cannot believe you don't understand why there was no new maps for those releases. like do you listen?

• TheStabbiNAngeL

But isn't that you're own fault for not being open minded and not giving new things a chance, Did you at least watch a playthrough of SH to understand the meaning and why people love the franchise so much

And you're obviously a gamer,but you've never played RE?

You make it seem as behaviour hasn't made a good killer since the Oni ?When you Have DS,PH,The Blight,The Twins ,and Trickster imo which are all good designs ,they constantly add skins to alter the character's appearance to tailor them to one's specific taste

But you keep saying that you just don't like them ,which there all fun killer's to play as,if there's an entire team of horror enthusiasts over there and most likely screen testers for the design if it wasn't recieved well by a certain amount the design would get canned, I don't have a closing statement but that's completely on you

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    edited May 2021

Also if you love trapper then isn't that the reason you should just be playing, and you could be happy for everyone else, I'm just looking forward to the and new map and perks personally .

I know it's pretty easy for me to say that on my Pyramid Head high horse but this has been the case for me for a long time just happy watching everyone get what they wanted before SH chapter.

• SMitchell8

I know why there wasn't new maps, poor excuse frankly. Chapters have been half baked since PH. Oni has a wonderful Aesthetic lol, as does Spirit and like I SAID early if you actually read my post, I liked most of the original designs, Trapper being a particularly good one imo. I'm entitled to not like the chapters they produce, im still playing the game most nights after work and I still love the game. My question WAS, does anyone feel the same about the last few chapters