The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Graphics Quality Low seems best for visibility; comparison pix included

1st pic is on ultra.

2nd pic is on low.

ultra is much darker than low, and low has way less shrubbery compared to ultra.

of course ultra looks better, but this is a multiplayer PvP game and not a single player one

personally i've been running on medium settings since that's the highest I could go to keep a steady 120 FPS, but im going to try it and low and see if it helps with visibility.

what graphics quality do you guys set it to, and will you try a lower setting?

Comments

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

I've always played in low but lately I've tried high and ultra and it just looks so good I've been playing on it lately. I can't get 120fps in high or ultra tho so sometimes I'll play in medium to get above 60fps.

I'll switch around but I've been sticking to medium/high

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,908

I play on Ultra, purely because it looks better.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,047

Yes, on Low the game is brighter. Which should be fixed if possible, there should not be a gameplay-advantage via Settings.

However, I play on Medium. I used to play on Ultra, but my GPU died a few months ago and the one I got is a lot worse, so I am stuck on Medium until I either become rich or GPU-prices become more reasonable (which will most likely not happen before the end of 2022 I guess).

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

Console players are also at a disadvantage because for some reason we are capped at Ultra and we cannot change it, has this ever been addressed?

• PsychoTron
    PsychoTron Member Posts: 348

consoles has always pushed for graphical fidelity over frames per second. for the console market, graphics sell and not FPS, but that may be changing with the new consoles.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I play on medium because I had some lag while playing in ultra last time. I'm gonna change my PC next year I think.

I don't care if I could see better on low, I don't "play to win"... At least, not at the cost of using lower resolutions for it.

People play on low if they feel it's better for them. I don't judge.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

I play on low. Higher FPS is more important to me than graphics, and I can get 120 on low whereas every other option drops my frames noticeably. I also really hate how dark the game is since my eyesight is pretty bad and I game in a well lit room, so it being brighter on low is nice, I can’t lie.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Hopefully, it's fixed by making better qualities just as bright and not by darkening everything down. I don't understand what is the thought process behind making maps where you're looking at a black screen and thinking that's good design.

• Vyne456
    Vyne456 Member Posts: 848

Is it because that you cannot see claudettes or?

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Low quality is the best quality.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396

Still don’t understand why console does not have this option yet cross play still exists

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

Before i always played on ultra now i play with the lowest setting available the game look awful but the gameplay is so much better with those setting.

Never a game should give a player the advantage for playing on low setting but a lot of game do that dbd is not the first one and wont be the last

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i just recently switched to low settings.

seeing people ingame has gotten SO MUCH better with that!

like, i no longer lose a blendette just because she walks in front of a dark surface! how cool is that?

Deathslinger looks significantly worse though without the shadow of his hat covering his eyes.

• PsychoTron
    PsychoTron Member Posts: 348
    edited June 2021

yea its not just that though, on higher settings there is more shrubbery, grass, foliage, etcc.

edit: to brighten it even more under nvidia control panel - adjust desktop color settings - and i put the gamma slider to around 1.35-1.4

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

As Trapper main, I can fully list his counters:

Perk:

• Slippery meat
    • Dead hard
    • Saboture
    • Small game
    • Kindred
    • OoO
    • Up the ante

Item:

• Toolbox
    • Map

Offering:

• Any kind of Luck

Setting:

• Low graphic

Yes, Trapper is the only killer that you can counter with Setting

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I just play on ultra and crank up the brightness/gamma.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

There shouldn't be an advantage no matter what, but can you comment why the devs allow it? Graphic settings isn't the only thing providing advantages, pc still use filters etc. Which just enhance the advantages, their game looks awful but alot people still do it, even for whispers....

• Stonuk
    Stonuk Member Posts: 91

Ultra + GeForce Experience

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,742

I play on Ultra but I use some PC editing magic and have the shadow textures from Low settings. The game still looks gorgeous, but arguably is even better since I can actually see things

(also I can play on like, 135%-150% resolution and it looks so crisp and smooth and I feel my leg hairs burning from the heat my gpu produces ':) )

• UseTheValve
    UseTheValve Member Posts: 350

Low shouldn't remove that much shadow TBH, I always played on ULTRA, A good trick to get even more FPS is to put the shadows on HIGH , them alone will give you around 20-30 FPS with 0 difference.

I really don't know how any of you play with low and Nvidia filters, game just look horribles.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Yeah, its why the game becomes stale to me. Stealth play becomes less and less an option, with reworked maps without hidding places or los-blockers, colorfilters to brighten it up, stretched resolution, and what the heck else.

I play less and less, because chases without the ability to lose the killer in the end is nothing i enjoy. I know its enough on gameplay terms to make him waste time, but it becomes less and less worth my time.

• httpain
    httpain Member Posts: 1

I've never understood the complaints about "unfair" low graphic settings, because highest settings can be even more advantageous. Ultra and High settings do have their own advantages, mainly it has to do with how shadows work. I can only talk from survivor's POV, but having an actual full shadow of the killer, not some weird little blob, is VERY huge in chases. For example, a shadow can work as a second red stain, and if a killer actually tries to moonwalk on a tile with no vision of him, like a single-pallet gym, you will be able to react to their large shadow approaching around the corner. The best example of this is on the farm maps: since everything is so lit up, you can discern killer shadow a lot better. Personally, I'd gladly trade better visibility on Low to the greater information on Ultra, but alas, my PC is not able to run DBD in 60 FPS on settings higher that Low...

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

It's been this way for a while now. Ultra feels like you are playing in a murky swamp where you can't see 10 feet in front of you and I'm constantly straining my eyes to make out anything.

Low is much crisper and you can actually see things.