What's Up With This Wraith Debate?!?

Options

(As a heads up, all names and people talked about will remain anonymous out of respect)

So, I was scrolling through Twitter this morning, minding my own business, when I came across some mutuals talking about the current state of the game. To this standard, I usually just scroll past and move on with my day. However, it seems that a majority of people are debating about the current state of wraith. Ever since the Wraith buff (whatever update that was), people seem to feel that he's either too strong or much playable.

However, I saw that some people feel the speed boost while cloaked seemed to be removed/lowered back to where it was before. (Some even feel like he shouldn't have the ability to swing after uncloaking, with the speed boost as well needing to be lowered).

What do you all think of the current state of Wraith? Do you feel as he's in a good state or that he should have a few changes? To me, I see one Wraith every few weeks if I'm lucky, so I don't have as much of an opinion on him, considering I mainly play ranged killers.

(This isn't meant to start anything or send hate. I'm just completely curious on what the community thinks of him as of now)

Comments

• 4eyed
    4eyed Member Posts: 51
    Options

Wraith is like legion in the sense that they score free hits, but one is more lethal and harder to see coming while the other is legion. When i play wraith id rather play anyone else and against him i just sit on gens and drop pallets early

• NeverNotNicky
    NeverNotNicky Member Posts: 28
    Options

Honestly, I don't know why either. I personally love going against him whenever I can (again, don't see very many people sadly). I've seen people talking about how they'll DC against a Wraith. And like, they're free to do whatever they want, but he's not the worst killer to go up against that's for sure.

• van9684
    van9684 Member Posts: 433
    Options

Annoying lol. I can’t stand wraith honestly. This all started when a certain narcissist streamer with a complex started complaining circa 2016 I think, and he’s still doing it to this day. He plays wraith and blames all game mistakes on swf or killers being underpowered. Fact is though, he’s just not able to lose or acknowledge his own errors.

• NeverNotNicky
    Options

See, this I can totally understand. I've had teammates DC because they refuse to move after they get hit, just because of this.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

When there's only one thing you view strong on someone, you may unconsciously accept it due to it being just one thing.

When there's multiple/many things you view strong on someone, you'll most likely also mention that one thing.

• NeverNotNicky
    Options

I will definitely say I've seen a whole lot of comments regarding Spirit, so Wraith controversy doesn't seem to be as bad. I usually Swift Hunt addons, though I've used Windstorm a few times when I've rough nights of playing in the past.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Because they’re not being sensible about being on gens, or the correct side of a gen, to see him coming. That super lunge only benefits Wraith if he’s managed to get the drop on a survivor.

• NeverNotNicky
    Options

I could totally see the addons being reworked, especially some of the ultra rare and very rare addons because those can be a bit annoying to go against. I feel like the uncommon aren't too bad, since they just slightly up the ability, but pre-rework I went against a few silent bell wraiths. I was forced to use SC for the longest time just because I went against quite a few. Eventually they just died out, so I was able to stop using the perk as often

• NeverNotNicky
    Options

I don't know about anyone else, but I've had people hide until they hear/see Wraith elsewhere on the map. I always try to make sure I'm at a decent point on a gen so I can keep an eye out for killers. It's a bit harder to see him on maps like coldwind just because of the lighting, because I try and listen for his growling noises if it ever comes to the point of not being able to hear him. (That's also just how I play though. Audio is a huge part for me to pay attention to more often with not having the best headset)

• NeverNotNicky
    Options

See, I can totally understand this! I'm a red rank survivor, though I wouldn't say I'm bad or good. It all depends on the killer and how I'm doing that day overall. Sometimes I'll have good games, and other days will be rough. I can definitely say that perks and addons as well as the map can change the result in the end (not including killer gameplay). It also depends on teammates, especially in the case of solo queue. As some who plays solo a lot, I see a lot of red ranks hiding constantly, so even with a killer playing poorly they could still make a complete 360 and get a 3/4k because of my teammates.

Now, don't get me even started on Midwich. Lmao. I don't mind the map per se, at least if I only get it once or twice a night, but sometimes I can just tell it'll be a rough game. :)

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245
    Options

I only play Wraith now without addons otherwise it just feels like a cheap win. Wraith used to be my second main killer - ever since his buff I have played him maybe a dozen times because it just doesn't feel challenging or rewarding.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options

Actually I think you're wrong, it doesn't matter if wraith gets the drop on a survivor or not - they will still constantly cloak and recloak to use the lunge at basically every oppertunity

It's no secret, basically every wraith follows the same principle of hit, recloak, uncloak, super lunge - rinse and repeat

A lot of wraith's don't chase normally, they try to use cloak as much as possible. I mean why wouldn't they right?

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

I think he's just a noob stomper/solo queue stomper now. Especially hit and run. Hit and run is incredibly boring to play as/against too. It's a shame. I never thought I'd see Wraith become boring.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

I mean, that is his intended play style. The uncloak mechanic causing a delay in attack is meant to be a deterrent to using it mid chase.

Look at his perks. They pretty much scream “injure them first, find them again later”

• Ink_Eyes
    Ink_Eyes Member Posts: 561
    Options

Completely invisible to people with bad eyesight like me (The guy has to de-cloak in front of me otherwise I can't tell where he is) with no terror radius, and with his add on that makes his bell sound all over the map it becomes almost impossible for me to deal with. Worst thing is that he is completely undetectable while standing still so he can camp a generator, a slugged player or a hook very well. I know he is weak but I kinda hate him, seriously....match me against a spirit, I'd rather deal with a spirit than a wraith.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options

He's in a perfect place right now. Having him wait to swing after coming out of cloak, which already slows him down, would destroy him. That's why they've massively buffed the addon that makes him come out of cloak after kicking something. It used to make him wait after coming out of cloak before he could swing, and it didn't give him a speed boost from coming out of cloak like that. It was a dead add-on, but now with the buffs it's actually viable.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    Options

Overtuned for how easy he is to play and get value out of. Nerfing a few of his addons would be the best step since some of them really push him into frustrating territory like the wall hacks and clappers. The Yellow clapper's effects should be on the Pink one at least, Silent Bell shouldn't be a thing as it would be like Nurse without her shrieks or Oni without his battle roar.

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508
    Options

Wraith became an ok killer, therefore, he is unacceptable.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

I personally think the super speed OR the super lunge, but not both. The true invisibility combined with either of those things would have been more than enough of a Boost. The two together seem too much to me.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

Wraith was not fundamentally changed, he's still Wraith. And fundamentally Wraith is pretty bad, he is not too overpowered, he's fine.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,981
    Options

Wraith is still pretty underpowered in my opinion, but not all killers need to be Nurse-tier so he's fine.

He's only really busted with All-Seeing Blood. Other than that, he's fine. He's the same as he's ever been, just with a purple add-on base-kit, better stealth, and 0.25 seconds added to his speed boost.

People make too much of a big deal about him and it's kind of ridiculous.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options

One of DBD’s longtime punching bags has gotten sick and tired of Survivors’ ######### and they’re complaining instead of refusing to adapt.

• Gruul
    Gruul Member Posts: 130
    Options

It basically comes down to chases are the only thing a lot of survivor players find fun and the entire point of wraith is to ambush and get a hit before the chase even starts negating the need for chasing in the first place so a lot of survivors find him boring to play against. On Wraith's side of things they have a power that does nothing for them in chases unless you count occasionally being able to block pallets and windows in cloaked form so chasing is generally pretty miserable for them. Wraith overall is pretty average probably in the B tier somewhere it's just the way he's designed makes it so that one side is kinda guaranteed to not have fun.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    edited June 2021
    Options

Survivors don't like him because he has the ability to hit and run. They don't get their fun of looping an m1 killer for 5 gens so get salty af.

• Zozzy
    Options
  • Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

I'm not saying I know what can be done, but I will say that my experiences with him have not been positive. I've had my say on it and I'll just wait for the metrics. Those are going to be the only thing that tell the tale.

• Zozzy
    Options

You mean that 4k i get after the door is open because survivors have ZERO reason to leave since they get a pip escape or die?

That metric?

Kill metrics are useless. If survivors required an escape or to max out every other objective for a pip the story would be very different. Killers require kills to pip.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Its because people are used to wraith being F tier for most of DbD's life and now that he's not people aren't used to playing against him.

This means they try to bully wraith back when it was bad.

To give you an idea of how bad he was his most recent change was the SECOND TIME WINDSTORM WAS MADE BASELINE!

For those of you who don't know the first version of windstorm was wraith's mini sprint burst out of stealth...Yes he was that awful that he didn't even have that nor his high movement speed for most of his existence.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

I'm a mediocre survivor but I've only died to a couple of wraiths post-buff. One of them was silent bell/all-seeing blood with a DC at 4 gens. Also wraiths I know when you uncloak by a loop facing one way you're going to 180 and dash the other way because you all do that :p

Also he's countered -hard- by flashbangs which are popular right now.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

True, but he never had the capability to do that. Now that he's had a few decent buffs for chasing and map pressure it turns out that a very very boring playstyle.

• Artemisha
    Artemisha Member Posts: 401
    Options

Agree. It´s a very ez to play killer that can have abusive performance. Specially on low-mid ranks.

Some add-ons on him feel excesively strong. Said that I don´t think he is op. He has strong points and weaknesess, on difference with spirit.