Can Somebody Explain Ranks to Me?

Options
ThiccBudhha
ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988

I only joined about 2 days ago, and I am rank 14. I heard you mostly rank up just by playing, which largely seems true given I am only level 14. But I am running into more competent survivors that are green or purple colored ranks and whenever they get a 4 man escape, it doesn't rank me down. It stays neutral.

I am just confused because I am obviously quite bad at the game at the moment, and I would prefer losing pips whenever they all escape so that I am more likely to face other beginners. Or do all beginners just sort of make their way up the ranks regardless of performance? Are the only rank 20-18 people just lower ranked and rarely play so their rank resets every month and they just don't have time to grind up to a lower number?

I have no idea how it works, but I just feel like if the lobby largely has a higher rank, they got a ton of escapes. If they have a few lower ranked survivors, I get the 3k or sometimes even 4k.

Is it genuinely a progression only based system? Like, will I hit green and purple ranks just by sheer playtime even if they 4 man escape? Or does it eventually punish you for doing nothing?

Thank you for any and all help. I am just so lost. I don't even have a killer over level 10 yet because I am trying to get the 2k shards for barbecue and chili so I can start leveling one. I feel like it is pushing me towards an average player a bit quickly.

Comments

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824
    Options

Emblems - Official Dead by Daylight Wiki (fandom.com)

Have a read through.

Put it short, doing things gives points. Other things takes away points. It's all a bit convoluted and doesn't seem to make sense sometimes.

• Axx
    Axx Member Posts: 392
    Options

Once you get past rank 15, you cant de-rank past it. Also, the rank system is not the best. It frequently puts new players in rank 14 against red rank survivors and players that have hundreds and thousands of hours played. The rank system and matchmaking is one of the most complained about things in this game.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,420
    Options

I will try to put it simply and not go any much details since it could sound overhelming in the begging.

Killer and Survivors have 4 different emblems that wil based on your preformance during the match will either: -1 pip, no pip gain / loss, +1 pip or rarely if you are doing amazing +2 pips.

For Survivors, emblems will care about how much do you do gens, how well can you last in chase with killer (also you get something extra if not in chase while killer is within few meters of you), how much and well you help other Survivors (unhooking safe, healing others, etc.) and lasty, how long you lasted in the trial or even better if you escape.

So if you work on gen for some decent time, unhook like 2 people or heal someone offten and get chased for a bit and not die within like first 10 min, you should be able to pip fairly easily I think. So that's maybe why you pip a lot.

And people say "Raking = playtime" it is kinda true since it is not that hard to pip when you play offten.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Oh, man... That is a bummer. I kind of wish I knew before I reached it. Thanks for the information, though. I guess I will just get used to it.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553
    edited June 2021
    Options

As killer, here's where you'll get points towards ranking up:

Chaser: Points gained each time you hit a survivor. You'll get more points in games where survivors keep healing and you keep hitting them, and less points in games where they never heal or you're making liberal use of one-shot abilities and perks.

Devout: You get a small number of points for hooking each individual survivor at least once, a small number of points for getting at least 9 individual hooks in the match, and then you get big wodges of points for each sacrificed or killed survivor.

Gatekeeper: Points are gained in time intervals based on how many gens are left remaining. If you had two matches that lasted 10 minutes total, and the first match had 3 gens pop immediately and then you defended the last two for the rest of the game, and the second match had the first gen get completed 2 minutes in and a steady trickle of gens throughout the match, you would get more Gatekeeper points from the second match. You also get some points if the match ends without all 5 gens being done.

Malicious: Points are gained for damaging and lost for healing/players escaping your grasp, which typically cancel themselves out. You also get points for each hook state (as opposed to hook action, meaning a player who dies on their first hook counts as 3 hook states.) Most of your Malicious points will come from hook states.

Players in brown ranks can't depip - if you play, you're going to eventually make your way into yellows. Starting at rank 15, you can move down ranks if you play badly according to the emblem system. You can generally depip as killer if you don't hook anyone, or don't hook all 4 players and don't kill anyone. At the very least, you can stop yourself from pipping up.

At rank 14, I think you need less than 6 emblem points in order to depip. At higher ranks, this number increases and your ranking up will generally slow down, although it still very much risks pushing you into ranks you're not prepared for yet because emblems are generally quite easy to get and the teams you'll face are wildly inconsistent at all levels of the game.

I wouldn't worry about playing against yellow ranks and 'accidentally' leaving browns - they're still quite new and not very good at the game, provided they're genuine yellow ranks and not smurfs/people fresh out of a long hiatus. You don't start facing really good survivors until purple ranks. The issue is that the higher your rank becomes, the more likely the matchmaking system is to say screw it and give you teams that are several tiers above you, or the more dangerous a team that's several tiers above you becomes; a rank 11 killer is likelier to get a red rank SWF than a rank 18.

• Zucker_Schock
    Zucker_Schock Member Posts: 565
    edited June 2021
    Options

The matchmaking system will be changed to what you want it to do in the "near" future. Who knows how long that will be. But it has been tested and activated for a short time quite often and has been collecting data for maybe a year, so i guess it could become active maybe some time this year.

It is a automated skill based matchmaking system that collects data behind the scenes, once it gets activated it matches you with "similarly powerful opponents".

Thats also why you can not switch killer characters once you started searching for a match. This was not the case before the system, the reason is each killer character gets his own skill rating, so that a weak character doesnt get put up against the most powerful opponents.

• Zucker_Schock
    Zucker_Schock Member Posts: 565
    Options

The wiki is a good place to learn about all the aspects of the game: