Could an Add-On Upgrading System have worked for DBD?

Options

I thought it would've be fun if add-ons on both sides were permanent but had to be upgraded. I'll use survivor as an example. A survivor starts off with a basic med kit with no add-ons and over time using the med kit would unlock the basic add-ons on it. When I say "over time using the med kit" I mean actually using it and not just bringing it into each trial. Healing yourself with a med kit would add to the time usage needed to be fulfilled. Once reaching the max usage time the med kit would unlock the yellow med kit. Using this med kit would then unlock the yellow add-ons and so on and so forth.

I do realized something like toolboxes would become an issue with this so a number of tweaks would have to happen. By the way, the add-ons would run out of usage just like they do now, only difference is that you don't lose them. When a person has reached the level to have purple items and the top add-ons then it would indicate the player has been in the game for a good amount of time. In other words, some with a purple item would definitely belong among the red ranks. The add-ons concept would work the same for killer add-ons. Some of those add-ons might need to be changed a bit but I think it would've worked.

This is just a thought I had and wondered what everyone thought of it. Would it have worked or would it have been too strong?