@Devs, How is a killer to counter Hold w and immediately drop pallets?

Options

Comments

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,146
    Options

Then they just loop the pallet.

I'm not some terrible player, i have 2k hours in this game. Watch Tru3 vs oracle, or Dowsey vs oracle.

• Reinami
    Options
  • Itooshie
    Itooshie Member Posts: 174
    Options

Not a clue, thats why I asked for your suggestions. The stamina bar is just overkill and not needed in this game otherwise you're just going to tip the scales too far. Too many killers would become too oppressive that way. I dont even really encounter W Gamers in my games.

But you also admitted you dont even really know what to do and just said to remake the entire game.😚

• Reinami
    Options

Not remake, but it needs to balanced around high level play more.

• Grimmy_Bluues
    Grimmy_Bluues Member Posts: 354
    Options

Just thought of this off the top of my head, but what if survivors got some sort of status effect after dropping more than 1 pallet in rapid succession. Say they insta-drop a jungle gym pallet then run to shack pallet and drop that immediately too, at that point they get an effect that either slows them down for a few seconds or makes them stop and catch their breath, making them lose distance for using up resources so fast.

Or on the killer side, breaking a pallet grants a very short buff that increases breaking speed so you can chew through pallets when survivors drop them immediately.

Just food for thought however.

• Itooshie
    Options

I suppose but what is that? like 10% of the community? What happens to the other 90% just get gud or quit?

• StutteringSpartan
    StutteringSpartan Member Posts: 251
    Options

Evenly distribute pressure.

Hit them once, If you can’t down them quickly break a pallet and go find another. Rinse repeat. Except to lose 2-3 gens at the start.

Is the survivor your chasing running to an area is where no gens exist? It’s a trap.

If you want honest advice share a youtube link of your gameplay, can almost guarantee you’re doing something wrong

• oh_salutations
    oh_salutations Member Posts: 212
    Options

okay if its soo much of an issue what do you think the Devs should do to make it "fairer"

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 898
    Options

If a survivor loops a pallet, there is usually a fair bit of outplay potential, especially given the different killer powers. If a pallet is too safe, break it and try again on a less safe pallet.

If you want me to analyze the various mistakes Tru3 made in his matches against Oracle and specifically those he did in chases, I can do that. Missing basic attacks is not conducive to performing well against one of the very best teams in the world, for one thing. Wraith is certainly not a strong enough killer to be able to consistently 4k against the best teams in the world, no matter the player, but better players than Tru3 that are more experienced in facing such teams certainly would (and do) do better than him. 2 kills are entirely possible and not uncommon for lower-tier killers in tournaments, and even 3-4 not impossible.

Footage showcasing the specific issue you are referring to would definitely help to have more of an actual discussion on it.

• oh_salutations
    oh_salutations Member Posts: 212
    Options

and if you are looking for counters

Nemesis and projectile killers (Not clown) could hit over most vaults/ Pallets so just hit them in Animation lock

Speed Killers catch you up to the survivor

Deathslinger brings the survivor towards you

and you could teleport to them as Nurse

• Reinami
    Options

CS:GO balances around high level players

So does LoL

So does DotA

So does Rainbow 6

So does Fortnite

So does CoD.

• Reinami
    Options

Hit and run doesn't work at high level play. Watch any tournament or high level player. Hell even Dowsey was criticizing (in a good way) tru3talent when he went against Oracle for playing hit and run, and that he needed to commit to a chase in order to stand a chance.

• Reinami
    edited July 2021
    Options

So because it's a different genre we shouldn't balance around high level players? Then why does almost every other competitive game of any other genre do it?

FPS

MoBA

RTS

Fighting Game

Racing game.

Name one game that is taken seriously that is not balanced around high level players.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

I guess by adapting. Just like survivors have to adapt to Spirit, Deathslinger, Pyramid Head, etc.

Seems pretty straightforward.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521
    Options

Lmao git gud

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684
    Options

Maybe they should disable the ability of survivors to move forward and add a 10 second animation to dropping pallets so these stupid complaints about holding W will finally stop. Jesus Christ.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    edited July 2021
    Options

Because some of the more popular slowdown perks need gen pressure. How can we pressure 3 or 4 gens at the same time if they split up? Even two is hard enough if they are on opposite sides of the map.

You can hit and run but they get hit and go right back on the gen when you leave to pressure the other one. If you commit to a chase the other person goes right back on that gen.

Three genning only works partially because you hit them then they hold W to the other side of the map, heal, split up and slowly proceed with the gens.

You cannot pressure every gen even with slowdown perks. Hex spawns are terrible and are normally found quite quickly unless you get a lucky match, leaving you with an empty perk slot. High risk/high reward I know but when the risk is removed within the first minute or two there is barely any reward at all, if any.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197
    Options

Are we really complaining about survivors running away now? Really? We've devolved to this?

Yikea. What's next? They should start with half the survivors on basement hooks?

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

People want bloodlust removed too, that's the only counter right now to the W strategy unless you are a highly mobile killer. If this goes at least one or two gens will pop before the killer even catches up to them, let alone hit them.

Survivors used to run to loops to avoid the killer, not huff it as far away as possible, maybe take a hit on the bigger maps to get even further.

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236
    edited July 2021
    Options

Depends on what killer you are.

Zone, create dead zones, run tinkerer or stbfl (or both) run brutal strength. These are the basics then depending on what killer you are you have some additional options

The problem isnt how survivors play, hold w has always been strong. The problem is the game needs secindary objectives

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236
    Options

Thats why killers proxy camp and tunnel bad survivors

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options
  • NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 766
    Options

Play a killer that can deal with W.

Blight's a good option if you care to dedicate the time to learn him cuz he's the first or second most complex killer in the game.

Nurse is good if you dedicate the time to learn her. If you're good with her you shouldn't care about W.

Spirit is another great option, has a much lower skill floor than Nurse or Blight, so a good option to start.

Wraith is another decent option. He moves fast and doesn't have to chase too much since hit and run is his best playstyle.

Hag is another great option since she doesn't chase. She sets up her traps and then herds survivors towards them. She doesn't care about W.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

The only games out of all the ones you mention that balances around "high level" is rainbow 6 and fortnite and LoL. The rest balanced towards more casuals. And I think you folks don't understand, the difference in all those games everyone is at a even playing field. Asymmetrical games CAN NOT be balanced evenly, one side will always have an advantage. By definition it's usually the team that has more players. It's gonna be the killer role would be way more powerful than the survivor role, or vice versa. Right now the survivors are more powerful. And those games that are balanced at a high level tend to have a large dedicated base. This game is majority is causal around 80% would be causal. Because less then 15% of survivors have reached ranked 10. And for killers about 9% that have reached rank 10 according to the steam trophy achievements rate. So only about 50% played the game longer than one time, So only about 20% are regulars not even "high level players". Maybe about 5% of the players play at a high level. There is a reason most games that are competitive tend to be FPS, everyone can start at a even playing field. You don't see any asymmetrical games at a competitive stage, and it's because it can't be since one side will always have an advantage.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

ironically you dont, not really. This is what pro players do while their teams crank out gens fast as possible so against even a decent team unless you are nurse and spirit or get absurdly lucky with map rng you are very likely to lose that match

• Trickstaaaaa
    Options

The people that gripe about this sound silly, do you guys even realize? You are telling survivors you can't run, you got loop us. Like this a horror game running a major part of it. This is pitiful survivors can't run. How about stop chasing people that are clearly good loopers. Start going after the weak links. Or I know what you mean when you get a 3 gen but all 4 survivors are still alive, and if you chase one you will lose. In that case I'm sorry, when that happens to me I usually accept that I will lose. At that point just accept the loss. Anyway I'm guessing once dead hard gets nerfed, you guys are gonna go after sprint burst I'm 100% convinced.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

No one is saying they can’t use what’s in the game. The point is that it’s imbalanced

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

I just play Ghost Face with Ruin + Surveilance. Usually pushes them into a 3-gen situation where I hold it for 30 minutes because only now that they're 3-genned do they think about finding the ruin.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Options

Brother I have seen post of people literally saying "survivors need to loop and not hold Shift+w" 🤣

This is a horror game running is a part of it, I don't know if you guys are serious at this point. You guys realize this is the most polarizing complains in this game? If you guys are actually serious?

• KillerKirby
    KillerKirby Member Posts: 79
    Options

Not a dev but when I see this there are a few different options. Firstly you can change targets after they waste a few normally this tactic leaves dead zones since they wasted the resources early you will catch them in a bad place latter if you don't chase them around the entire map. then they will have to do gens at some point and you can get them in their dead-zones. It took me forever to understand this. if they start trying to bait you ignore it and go for the others often their trying to distract from weaker loopers. Other than that it really depends on the killer but things like brutal strength and enduring can help if you find there are problems with this technique.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

Reject normal killers. Embrace stealth killers. Don't have to deal with holding W if they only see me when I'm already hitting them :p.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710
    Options

I queued vs a lot of solo players that did this too, its not just SWF

So no its not a SWF problem and even if you "nerf SWF" someday all the solo will do the same and we will be on this topic again

• Chewy102
    Chewy102 Member Posts: 613
    Options

You need to remember that the vast majority of other asymmetrical games failed due to either money or legal reasons, or simply never was intended to be played at all.

F13 died due to legal reasons. Evolve died in part because of greed. Last Year committed suicide by being a Left 4 Dead clone. Hide or Die never knew what it wanted to be and went through massive change after massive change. Then you have the countless other games that never got a chance because they wasn't worth playing to start with.

The real reason though the vast majority of games fail is for 1 simple reasons. Either a publisher or investor thought they wasn't making enough money and killed the project, while also likely firing its dev teams to save even more cash. It is rarely about the community or balance.

I can for an almost certain fact say that DbD would have never survived this long if BHVR didn't buy the rights to DbD from its publisher back in 2018. Starbreeze would have killed the game off LONG ago and forced the devs onto other projects or out of a job.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

Again, I don’t blame survivors for doing it, but it is a valid complaint. A bunch of people are saying to just change targets, but the problem is that a smart team will stay aware of your location and then hold W into strong structures when you approach anyone.

• Itooshie
    Options

That wasnt really my point, there just isnt another game like DBD that has high skill level balance, there's no point of reference. You shouldnt be comparing DBD balancing to LOL or Fortnite. I probably could have worded myself earlier before when referring to the genre, not the balancing and surviving.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hillbilly(Pre-drop and Hold W), Bubba(Pre-Drop), Nemesis(Pre-drop), Demogorgon(Pre drop and Zoning), and Slinger(Zoning and Hold W)

• Reinami
    Options
  • Reinami
    Options

48 seconds is how long it takes if the survivor holds w, drops 0 pallets, vaults 0 windows and does no looping. 48 seconds to land 2 hits and down them. Yeah, killers are faster, but only by .6 meters per second, which, when you need to close a 30 meter gap twice is taking a while.

• Reinami
    edited July 2021
    Options

But if we have entire library of video game history going back 40 years. Every single long-lasting, competitive multiplayer game, balanced around high level play. Some of them are even still played today after 20+ years. The ones that didn't were relegated to "party" games.

Why do you think years later people still have tournaments for Street Fighter 2?

Why do you think LoL is still one of the most played games in the world when it was released over 12 years ago?

When was the last time you saw a tournament for Battlerite?

Why do you think DBD doesn't have a massive esports scene despite being a relatively popular game? Games with a fraction of the player base as DBD have much more massive multimillion dollar esports scenes.