We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

One headcanon about the lore you would ignore any real lore for!

Options
Ashreave
Ashreave Member Posts: 139

Mine is that Yui is just Johnny Bravo but female and Japanese. I will ignore any lore that BHVR puts out to the contrary.

Comments

• Ashreave
    Options

Here's another one: survivors occassionally steal furniture from trials usually small things but occassionally they cordinate to obtain bigger stuff. Which means occassionally killers are left to stare bemusedly as they are distracted so a survivor can hustle a lawn chair or something through the exit gates.

• CheeseAnton
    CheeseAnton Member Posts: 882
    Options

Charms are the Realm equivalent of Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh!/Magic: The Gathering/etc. cards.

Basically while survivors are around the campfire, one person eventually found a charm laying around somewhere and eventually it became the big thing around the realm because literally what else would they do (after all they been there for what feels like an eternity, you need to cling onto anything to push onward). So survivors wearing charms in trial are basically them showing off their most prized collections, and killers doing so because they also are into collecting charms.

• Ashreave
    Options

Yui still owns her motorcycle but it's engine has become a tangled Eldritch thing that she can't get to work. She believes if she can fix it she can ride outta here.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367
    Options

100% agree, with the Archives, they have been contradicted A LOT of the old lore and it's very upsetting. Take Legion and Nurse's logs for example, they completely contradict what actually happened in their backstory. As a Plague Main, I am happy that they didn't change too much of Plague's old lore.

• Ashreave
    Options

Yeah the archives suck. I really wish the devs would take the attachment people had to the initial premise more seriously.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

I forgot to put the " Every character is real in an universe and fiction in another", this for me changed the liscenced characters for the worst and I just ignore this part of the lore.

We all share the fear of the unknown and having a survivor arriving in a trial and knowing everything about the enemie is pretty stupid. This also applies for survivors, someome like Laurie could spent all her time off trials wondering on how her life would have turned out to be, but if someone knew her from Halloween they would just tell her, for me it takes away a lot of the emotional depth that liscenced characters could have and I preferred when their stories were all real in the main universe.

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878
    Options

The survivors ######### talk the killers when they’re at the campfire.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,811
    Options

The Entity is a cosmic parasite; not a God. It's a small part of something far bigger than itself.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2021
    Options

Killers spend a good amount of time before any trial to carefully build and position their totems and get sad when they find them destroyed by those pesky survivors.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638
    Options

There are different, alternate universe versions of every Killer and Survivor in DBD, therefore almost any ship is canon.

(I heard from someone that this is actually true, but I’ve yet to find anything on it)

• Dito175
    edited July 2021
    Options

But devs also said sometime ago that they are not present at the same time, so no multiple survivors in trials.

Edit: sorry I forgot it was a post about headcanons and not really discussions :p

• BingBongMan
    BingBongMan Member Posts: 631
    Options

There are multiple versions of every killer in the realms.

The multiverse is a thing in DBD, so it would naturally make sense for the entity to pluck multiple of the same useful killer.

• Ashreave
    Options

Personally I prefer the idea there's one of each, for story telling reasons plus that way it implies that when a killer or survivor gets a new outfit they might unknowingly be interfering with or drawing on alternate versions of themselves that are still free. Potentially drawing those versions to the fogs attention and damning them. I like the idea that the reason The Entity only chooses certain individuals is it can only see certain individuals. Essentially the Entity is like a cat it has zero object permanence.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,207
    Options

Freddy is innocent.

• Dito175
    Options

Almost every observer's lore, at this point it looks like I'm reading a fanfic instead official lore.

• Ashreave
    Options

They should hire the storyteller who wrote Oddfellows I liked that authors interpretation of things. Well except for their take on survivors I prefer the idea the survivors get along. But their ideas for the Entity being kinda bad at understanding how to house and care for people and the way they portrayed scavenging? That was great. As were their versions of Evan, Philip, Max and Sally. I also think they should hire the author who made First One, Last One sure it's a survivor/killer shipping fic which obviously is not canon, but the implication that hope is what keeps not only survivors but killers trapped? Genius! Much more interesting and poignant than the idea that there is literally no escape. The portrayal of the Entity as something that makes a lot of promises but does not actually keep any of them just feeding off your own desperation for what it tells you to be true was also really clever. I also liked Dwight in that fic he came off as someone who manipulated people but in a way that brought out the best in them. Which is perhaps a better interpretation of him than the fandom usually gives him. As a Haibane Renmei fan I also liked the pillars of light that signified survivors and killers disappearing from the Entities realm. Made it feel like the Entities Realm literally was a form of hell or purgatory. Kinda annoyed they just go back to the real world in at the end of that fic because of that association but you know it's a shipping fic so I guess the romance comes before the theological implications sadly. But I digress, basically I'm saying there's a lot of fanfiction out there with better interpretations of DBD lore than actual DBD lore. I hate the SCP foundation levels of convoluted they've gone with espeacially when the simplicity of the original concept was what appealed to me.

• Dito175
    Options

I remembered reading that fic a while ago and it was pretty interesting, the best fic in my opinion that portrayed the realm was In living memory from Ziracona. Every character had a great story arcs and it made me love characters that previously I couldn't care less about, It also builds a lot on how the entity works while the survivors try to find a way to escape. The fic is pretty long but I suggest you give it a try! And the complexity they are going with it's starting to annoy me.

• Keezo
    Keezo Member Posts: 452
    Options

losing memories when escaping makes sense, but dying is just dumb

• Keezo
    Options

There are alternate versions of people in the Entity's realm

• Ashreave
    Options

Losing memories when escaping makes less sense to me espeacially when the original lore before the archives seemed to imply survivors don't remember what the Entity does to them when it drags them up into itself. Losing memories when dying could just be an extension of that disassociation. Losing memories when escaping makes zero sense. But from both a horror perspective and a character perspective keeping the memories in both cases is the superior option.

• Dito175
    Options

But from what I know this isn't directly confirmed, devs said in a stream a few years ago that there's only one version of a person in the realm at a time, maybe the entity takes another claudette when the current one goes to the void per example.

• Ashreave
    Options

Personally I prefer the idea that the Fog is limited in who it can actually get it's hands on. Because if the Entity could just grab anyone it kinda defeats the purpose of the parallels between a lot of the killers and survivors. I like to think the Entity is a conceptual creature and it has to work backwards from it's base concepts in order to interfere with reality. Which is why it's so based in spooky horror symbolism. It understands survival and shedding blood and tragedy and death, hunter and hunted, predator and prey,the dichotomy of the woods and the campfire...When it comes to Death and Taxes it's got a better handle on the former than the latter. There's a tendency in horror to just make the monster stupidly all powerful as the sequels role in and I fear DBD is kinda falling to that temptation.

• Keezo
    Options

if they keep their memories when they escape, they know there is no escape. better for The Entity to get rid of those memories to keep farming their hope.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    edited July 2021
    Options

There are numerous movies and games built around the premise of being stuck in a loop where there is no obvious escape. The whole point of the plot is to break the cycle. Its a big missed opportunity for story progression.

• JimboMason
    JimboMason Member Posts: 759
    Options

DBD has a multiverse, and for each licensed DLC, it connects the franchises together. If this were true, imagine Cheryl and Jill facing off deadites

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,743
    Options

Deathslinger's gang is one big, dysfunctional found family, and Deathslinger is (although he IS an arse) definitely nothing like Micah Bell.