Why shouldn't I tunnel?

Options

It's the best strategy , it works and often leads to super altruistic teammates. It's not like any one expects survivors to ignore a hex or ignore a gen. We also don't expect survivors to make it fun for killers so I don't see why it matters if someone dies early.

Comments

• TwitchyMike
    TwitchyMike Member Posts: 759
    Options

You can tunnel no one's going to stop you. It's a playstyle. Boring as hell but I personally rarely tunnel. I only go for the same survivor if he sticks around while his teammates run off doing an improper unhook. I will punish them for this mistake. But 9/10 times I am going for a different survivor. I personally don't like tunneling unless I have no other choice. But when I ever tunneled I noticed more survivors escaping. At least against a good team. Doing it against a poor team is just not fun for me.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109
    Options

I was playing the swamp map as trickster

It's a super large map, one of the biggest maps in the game right now.

So by the time I got 1 hook 3 gens popped, so what am I suppose to do? patrol the remaining gens at 110% speed?

Nah I'll just camp and tunnel at that point game is only 4 minutes in and 3 gens are done. I'm 110% with no mobility.

So anyways the camping worked because I got a 4k what else am I suppose to do with such a large map? I can't patrol those gens realistically.

• ccactus623
    ccactus623 Member Posts: 214
    Options

I do agree with that no one likes being tunneled, but an out positioned injured survivor over a health one running towards shack why would I not go for the easy target

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488
    edited July 2021
    Options

Honestly, only because you want to give other players a break. It sucks to be tunelled, so of course people complain about it. I don't consider it bad bevaviour (heh), but it is super irritating. The argument, I suppose, goes that survivors do irritating things as well to killers. Round and round.

Over time, I've really smoothed out my annoyances with the game. I rarely 'get mad' at killers for their behaviour. I just find it irritating when the game is short and no fun and I've let my team down by not getting enough done in a match. Same with maps, I kinda don't hate any maps any more although I've only gotten RPD once.

But Hag.... [BAD WORD] hag. I hate those traps and there's too many of them.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

The ONLY reason to avoid tunneling is to be nice. If you want to optimize your play, you would be stupid not to tunnel, quite frankly.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,407
    Options

I don’t disagree that it’s the better option. When it comes down to it. I just smack ‘em down and move on from there.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,560
    Options

It isn't nice, but it is often the best move.

It is always in the Killer's best interest to remove one person from the match as fast as they can, especially if the Survivors are competent.

It doesn't matter how good they are, a 3v1 is much harder to win than a 4v1 and the sooner the Killer gets rid of someone, the more likely they are to win.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I don't think so. Yes, there are some boring survivors out there who want killers to be held completely helpless, just like there are some boring killers out there who want survivors to be held completely helpless, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I think tunneling is a genuinely unfun strategy, for both sides. A killer should only tunnel if there is a nothing else he can do, if that is the best play or maybe the only possible play in the moment. That is fine.

Tunneling because you can, because you want to tunnel is just...boring.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 537
    edited July 2021
    Options

You should

Making survivors (and killers) upset and salty is the most fun thing in the game

• ccactus623
    Options

I guess this is my problem. I would never just return to hook and tunnel but I'm not ignoring someone to be "fair"

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562
    Options

I usually return to the hook to chase the rescuer, or stop a stupid under-hook heal. And Survivors still call me a tunneler. Like I'm supposed to just ignore 2 people for...vague reasons.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

At high ranks you will have to tunnel at least some during most games, fact is if you play "nice" you will lose, period, gen speed just doesn't allow you to play nice. Sure it's unfun for the survivor but I'm not about to chase a healthy survivor who is already at the killer shack when I have an injured person 3ft in front of me who is unable to leave this specific, unsafe pallet. It's your team's responsibility to give the killer a chase after they unhook you, not the killer's job to run to the other side of the map because the unhooker was to scared to give the killer a hit.

• yutycorn
    yutycorn Member Posts: 246
    Options

Because tunnels could cave in and-- oh wait... you mean dead by daylight. A game where sometimes somebody complains about someone doing something their own way. Good golly gosh. How dare people! Sorry you are yet another innocent hooman attacked by dese dese... Almonds! Have some pringles.

No but seriously, tunneling is usually the most annoying when done early game or when the survivors are clearly struggling. 3 gens or less? To me that could cause for tunneling. Because 4 people in disarray are far more likely to get their act together as a team over three, over two, and over a killer. So i can understand it, just not a fan when its used when there's no need for it.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109
    Options

I never said I did.

I couldn't find a single person for 3 minutes. I went around the map twice in a circle did not hear a single ######### gen being worked on.

then i found someone and magically 3 gens done in that 1 minute.

• NightWolfsFury
    NightWolfsFury Member Posts: 215
    Options

That isn't the reason for most players. Doing this means that survivor gets to have a miserable game for no reason. They didn't do anything to warrant not getting to play the match for more than a couple minutes.

I get that (for some reason) people take this game seriously and want to do absolutely anything to win, but that just makes the game miserable for everybody. The other survivors don't get to have fun being chased and are stuck being M1 bots and the person you tunnel just gets taken out of the game without a break or having any actual fun or a solid chance at a chase, unless they have a good set up.

It isn't about "trying to make sure killers never play optimally for easy wins". It's about making sure everybody gets to enjoy the game.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562
    Options

If being removed from a match in a game where the opponent's goal is to remove you from the match ruins your fun of that game; why did you buy that game?

It's not your opponent's job to ask you if you had enough fun before they kill you. Nor are they selfish for not doing so.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747
    Options

That doesn't really do anything in this situation. He's talking about tunneling being a strat not face camping so this is irrelevant.

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594
    Options

For me it's only tunneling at 5-3 gens and generally inefficient, way better I find to cast a wider net of hooks to help secure you later, once it gets to 2 gens though it's no longer tunneling it's asserting map pressure and trying to make it a 1v3 to get the snowball rolling. Hard not to call it fair game when you have the option of ds, it's why I always bring ds on survivor.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,976
    edited July 2021
    Options

I can tunnel during the entire match to make games easier on my end. But I choose not to, because I prefer fun for both sides.

I only tunnel when it is necessary.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250
    Options

Depending on how the match is going tunneling can be a smart move. If they are 3 gens done and you know that person is now on death hook get them out of there ya?

Tunneling at start of match doesn't make much sense. Killer's time can be better spent pressuring other survivors instead of camping hook and chasing down that 1st guy (also scummy since you didn't give that person a chance to play the match).

• theplaggg
    theplaggg Member Posts: 267
    Options

Tunneling is fueling the "toxic playstyle" cycle. It is a poor strategy punishing both sides with less points. You can play however you like but you should expect 2 kills at max with a lower amount of pips and BP. Higher rank survivors will adapt and genrush you to death making the experience dull for both sides.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261
    Options

Because you have to amuse survivors, according to the holy saint rulebook.

• M4dBoOmr
    M4dBoOmr Member Posts: 598
    Options

Some people here write like it is my job as killer to give the survivors a great playing experience, I play as I see fit, sometimes I tunnel sometimes I don't sometimes I facecamp sometimes I don't, I play however I feel like playing

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563
    Options

Tunnel if you want. It's a dull play style and sucks for the survivor but it's your choice. Just don't complain how survivors play and what perks they use either because survivors aren't suppose to cater to killers either.

Both sides have ridiculous expectations for each other.

"I was just unhooked you have to run to the other side of the map and wait 30seconds before chasing a survivor."

"You shouldn't be able to save your teammate when I'm standing in front of the hook"

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767
    Options

Because its a lame strategy that makes the game miserable for one survivor. And that survivor may be some clueless chill solo player that is just trying to have fun.

If tunneling was done only against toxic / swf players i would get it but sometimes tunneling is done to the baby dwight with 100 hrs and at that point good job you just sacrificed someone with 100 hrs gj.

Game should be balanced so that unfun mechanics wouldn't be possible or heavily punished on both sides but till then its all up to you to decide how to play.

I personally feel bad tunneling unless the survivor tried to taunt me, its really something i dislike doing

• CLB198
    CLB198 Member Posts: 315
    Options

Just breathe in and out

Count to 12

You have now counted Borrowed Time

• Pookalookie
    Pookalookie Member Posts: 31
    Options

For some reason it’s more fun for me if I know everyone is having fun. I rarely do it unless it’s the end of the game and I have zero kills. I don’t blame others for doing it either.

• ccactus623
    Options

The problem with this is you can go from 4 gens to 1 in a blink of an eye. I have pretty good success if I ignore one survivor and only try to hook 2/3 untill one is dead

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594
    Options

Well of course everything is circumstantial, if gens are popping that far people are clearly spread out and need pressuring so focusing on a single kill isn't going to be logical or another 2 is going to pop just as fast.

• Pittelli_Money
    Pittelli_Money Member Posts: 9
    Options

Against solid teams most of the time it will get you one kill while you stand in the same place the whole time. Can’t tell you how to play your game. If that’s the play style you enjoy then go for it. The negative is you will never really learn how to get good enough for 4K quality teams.

I main killer The competition for me is what keeps me coming back. There is no competition in tunneling. Like I said if that’s the game play you enjoy knock yourself out.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911
    Options

You can, its a viable strategy

But yknow...

Some of us actually want to have fun

• Torsti56
    Torsti56 Member Posts: 259
    Options

No one can stop you tunneling but personally when I play killer, I'll play how I want killer to play against me. It's kind of douche move to tunnel someone out to get the win when there no rewards from it.

Sure you can continue tunneling but to me, it's boring way to play and I dont see any fun either tunneling someone to death.

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674
    Options

Sure but as i hit 12 the survivor runs out of the exit gate...where's my counter?

• ccactus623
    Options

Yeah camping is rarely the right move but if I find both the unhooker and the unhooked on a gen together I can only chase one so it makes sense to go for the last me closest thing death. Especially if they didn't heal

• ccactus623
    Options

Would you ignore a 50% done gen and start on a new one ?