We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Is Hope a renewable resource that the Entity is just bad at using?

Options
Ashreave
Ashreave Member Posts: 139

I mean in the real world it a hundred percent IS a renewable resource. I think the Entity is just so inhuman it literally does not know how humans work and thus has been wasting resources this whole time. Wouldn't that be funny? No, actually, it would be tragic given all the people who got voided thanks to the Entity just being too inhuman to understand the economic benefits of RnR. But on the bright side it would mean the Entity is technically screwing itself over alongside everyone else.

Comments

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380
    edited July 2021
    Options

My theory is that just like any food source, hope is finite for the entity. It slowly bites off chunk after chunk off a survivors soul, and as stated in the lore this progressively turns them into emotionless husks. The trauma, the anguish, the desperation, it basically breaks them down into mindless hopeless zombies the entity ceases to have a use for and discards them. I Don't think the entity is inefficient as much as it is aware that humans are in indefinite supply, and can be replaced easily with its universally god like power. If there was a smaller quantity of humans the entity could utilize, it would likely be MUCH more efficient in how it consumed hope.

• Ashreave
    Options

See your explanation makes the Entity look competent but I really like the idea it's own alien nature screws over it's ability to get what it wants. It's so rare in fiction to have an evil god that just straight up can't comprehend humanity in a believable sense. They always seem to know the right thing to say or do to break people despite supposedly being alien. I want the Entity to be so inhuman it literally has not idea how to achieve it's goals solely because it's goals involve humans and it can't comprehend them.

• TapeKnot
    TapeKnot Member Posts: 248
    Options

From what I understand The Entity feeds off of many emotions, not exclusively hope. It could be that these trials are the best way to evoke as many strong emotions as possible. And as they wipe a survivor's memory clean after each trial, The Entity are aware that these emotions are renewable and tries to milk as many emotions as possible from survivors before getting rid of them.

• Ashreave
    Options

I mean what if the Entity does not actually WANT to break them? And the whole point of spiriting away survivors and killers is it's trying to figure out how to make a sustainable food source. If the Entity feeds on emotion it does not seem like a big leap to assume it's origins are if not human than at least close to human. Perhaps it was born from the blood and emotions spilt during hunting and it seeks to replicate that ritualistic process in it's own realm because the original human like race that birthed it went silent. It's realm is sucky and repetitive cause it's not inherently supposed to be managing it's own realm it's supposed to be naturally feeding off real world bloodshed. But it does not trust that as a food source because it's been abandoned by it's past worshippers. This The Entities realm is the Entities attempt to ensure it controls it's food source. But because it's a conceptual creature it does not really understand how to take care of humans, initially it assumed they naturally filled the role of hunter and hunted but the fact survivors break eventually and killers can be belligerent made it realise that was not the case. It mostly tries to get around this by brute forcing it. But Mori's are an incentive for more bloodthirsty killers as are the symbolic parallels between a lot of survivors and killers. It finds it easier to bribe and control killers cause a lot of it's assumptions about them are correct it finds it more difficult with survivors cause it finds it difficult to conceive that surviving trials is not it's own reward. It understands that humans possess the will to stay alive but it does not comprehend the whole "living rather than surviving thing". Also all the cosmetic outfits and map passes are it gradually improving it's ability to maintain it's realm and replicate the real world. Also the Ravens are the only non-zombie looking animals cause it's intimately familiar with Ravens cause they are always following bloodshed like itself. It's obsession with making things "fair" is also it actively adjusting strategies to make the trials more optimised but ultimately it still has no idea what it's doing.