Ping is a lie

Options
MissKitty95
MissKitty95 Member Posts: 786
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

So anyone who plays with a friend look at your ping and then ask your friend what your ping says, is there any reason into why my ping is different on my screen then their screen and vis-versa? And we live 15 mins away from each other. Kind of laughable am I missing something here. I mean correct me if I’m wrong but it should be the same number for the same player on each other’s screen…

Comments

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    edited July 2021
    Options

I'm no computer scientist and I don't know how DBD determines ping but if your friend's' computer is pinging to your computer rather than asking the server what your ping is (which pings to the server), then you're looking at two different endpoints and thus two different pings.

Put simply your friend might be pinging your computer while you're pinging the server (if that's how DBD does things).

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 810
    Options

Yes it it different, you don't share the same cable as he does.

There's a lot of thing which can interfere with the packet speed reaching the datacenter of your region where DBD is hosted. Like:

• Your hardware probably is not the same as your friend
    • Your Windows isn't the same as your friends
    • Your programms running in background are not the same
    • The cable which provides network can be different

See? There's a lot of things which interfere, it's obvious your computer within your files, programs and hardware are not the same, we're talking about milliseconds here, they can variate too much because of any single thing I mentioned. Your ping wouldn't be the same even if both were connected to the same network.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    Options

I think what they're saying is that what their computer says their ping is and what their friend's computer says their ping is are different, not that their ping is different from their friend's ping.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 872
    Options

I’m sure someone likely brought this up already but you can have low ping but experience packet loss. Packet loss can cause significant issues with latency and all that jazz..

• MissKitty95
    edited July 2021
    Options

@Kees_T explain abit more as I’m still abit confused it’s not a few it’s a big difference it will say 30 on my ping and he tells me my ping is between 60- 80 even pushed 100 I laughed as mine was a steady 30-35 his ping says 50 jumps between numbers up to 60-70 ish but on his screen he has the same as me,

we have checked in multiple games and I’m just confused into how it’s showing us different pings for me and him compared to what I’m seeing for mine and his then what we are seeing for ourself, it sounds confusing I hope I made it make better sense lol

we both have Ethernet cables.. both on ps5 and my internet is better then his. even the in the game lobby it’s a different ping I’m sitting there so confused thought I would come here and ask as I can’t even think of a logical reason into why this is

• MissKitty95
    Options

Yes that’s what I mean not we have different pings of course we do I mean what my ping says when I press select and when he presses select and looks at my ping it’s not the same as what my ping is telling me 😂

• MissKitty95
    Options

This kind of makes sense is what you mean if I’m hosting his ping is going through my ping so ping is lost ? If so I get that but why are we seeing different numbers sorry if I don’t understand

• Slay___
    Slay___ Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 898
    Options

Ping is mainly dependant on distance and after that the connection type, connection load and device comes in play.

For example if you are using fiber optics with wired connection and no other clients on the same household/connection gives you the lowest possible ping, assuming location is close enough to the server.

Then if you would use wireless connection on adsl/vdsl with other clients consuming heavy video content such as high resolution Netflix with the same distance to the server the ping could jump up to 500 ms at the worst case.

How do you measure the ping exactly when you say it shows two different numbers? It shows the ping between you and the server, not other players.

• MissKitty95
    edited July 2021
    Options

Ok I’m bad with explaining things so when we are playing together and I looked at the screen where you see the players and there ping it will say my name and my ping number but then my friend says your ping on my screen says something different

so for example I’m pig he’s hag 😂 sorry trying to make it more understandable

pigs ping on my ps5 is 30 , hags ping on my ps5 is 60+

on hags screen pigs ping is 50+ and hags ping on hags ps5 is 40+ hope that helps 😂 best way I could think of explaining lol

• Slay___
    edited July 2021
    Options

Then it's up to the connection type and load on the household/connection. Different routers can also affect things a bit. You still haven't specified if you use wired or wireless connection.

Or you just get connected to different servers, because this game has servers in several locations and doesn't always connect to the closest one every single time.

EDIT: Ping is not static either, you don't always get the same number, it fluctuates a bit.

• MissKitty95
    edited July 2021
    Options

I did lol I said we are both on ps5 and both use Ethernet cables, (wired connection) and yeh it dips up and down by like 3-5 ingame on my system in game, but his says a totally different number for my ping again sorry if I don’t get it🙈

• Slay___
    Options

Sorry I missed that part.

Forgot to ask, do you have same ISP or not? That can have some variable to the ping as well.

• MissKitty95
    edited July 2021
    Options

What’s a isp? 🙈 I have fibre optic if that helps

• Slay___
    Options
  • MissKitty95
    edited July 2021
    Options

Oh I have virgin media fibre optic he’s not in the same as me

• Slay___
    Options

Yep that explains one part of the puzzle, different ISP and very likely different router and/or modem as well.

Only unknowns after those would be server you get connected to by the game and if you have any other users in the same household using the same connection for other things while you are playing the game.

• MissKitty95
    Options

Ok thank you helps abit but still a mystery 😂 appreciate you trying to help me understand this <3

• PlaysByShady
    PlaysByShady Member Posts: 590
    Options

Your ping is just a representation of how long it takes a packet to reach the server and back, and there are so many factors that can affect that journey:

• how efficient your network adapter is, as well as all the other network hardware along the route
    • the capacity/throughout of the cabling, and the current traffic it's handling
    • the priority of the signal - some types of traffic can be prioritised, and others given secondary priority, depending on the nature
    • the physical distance the signal has to travel (which is not a straight line, but the route of the cabling)
    • etc

The fact that your friend and you are using different ISP's is also a huge factor. It's like using different telephone networks and then wondering why one is getting a better signal than the other; it's probably because the network with the better signal invested in more hardware, etc.