Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Games you found frustrating

Dr_Loomis
Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
edited July 2021 in Off-topic

Just completed Valfaris (PS4).

Bloody hell was this a rage-fest. The bosses were particularly annoying. Most included an after death self-destruction, meaning even after you've defeated them, they can kill you. The checkpoints are also too spread out. The spawn enemies come thick and fast. This was quite the challenge.

Other games that have I have recently been frustrated with:

Street Fighter 2: Anniversary Collection

Even on level 1, the difficulty is very high for all the games. Much harder than the old console versions. Some of the bosses are infuriating, especially Sagat in Street Fighter 1.

Tom Clancy's The Division

Near on impossible to play on solo. Some of the boss characters have a ludicrous amount of health and resort to cheap tactics to kill you. Far too much duck and shoot.

Bonkies

I honestly didn't expect this to be that annoying. It looked fun. But blow me down, the co-op mode was far from fun. This was a real disappointment.

Outlast 2

Some of the enemies are almost impossible to evade. Hide all you like, they'll find you. The original was a far less frustrating experience.

Strider

The elevator and the last boss: hell.

LA Cops

The final mission was such a pain the bum. Tarnished a relatively good game, but I got there in the end.

Comments

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,160

I don't think I've experienced frustration in a pure pain form before or since this absolute bastard of a game. I don't think there was anything the controls actually did right.

• EQWashu
    EQWashu Member, Mod Posts: 5,025

Battletoads (original); specifically the jetski level I NEVER got past.

2nd would be Dragon's Lair because I was smol, and in the days before the internet where you could look up hints and stuff about a game, I had trouble understanding the QTE mechanics.

I love these games to death and back from their art to their music, but they definitely ruffled me a bit back then (I eventually completed Dragon's Lair, and one day I'll try Battletoads again...one day lol)

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I might be showing my age a little here.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,003

Tomb Raider I is a classic, and, playing it for the first time a few years ago, I could see why! It was fun a game. Eventually though, having to get the jump timing just right in certain areas drove me up the wall. There's one level in that game that I had heard a lot about. I'd heard fans say it was their favorite level, that it was one of the best in the entire series. I had really high expectations when I finally reached it, excited that I was about to have my best Tomb Raider experience yet!

I ended up spending what must have been over an hour trying to clear the very first room before I finally rage quit. I tried again a few months later, and after another session of climbing, jumping, missing, and climbing all over again, I decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and found a cheat to skip the level completely. I did have a little bit of fun playing the next level, but that experience left such a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn't bring myself to ever finish the game. Besides, I probably would have had the same issue later on.

Another one: Digimon World 3. The game had no fast travel mechanic and very few shortcuts, yet each part of what might be a 70-step quest could require you to traverse the length of virtually the entire map (so far) to advance. Back across the desert maze! Back across the graveyard maze! Back across the swamp maze! Back to the first continent! Back through the forest maze (...) to talk to random NPC #258! Step complete, next... back to the desert!

This made even worse by the fact that it wasn't always clear which random NPC you had to talk to, or which city or building you needed to visit in order to advance the story. I had the actual official guidebook and young Sci_Guy still couldn't figure out what to do next sometimes. It was as if the guide writers were just as lost as I was. I understand that JRPGs can be quite tedious, but that game was just needlessly frustrating.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

First game that came to my mind was Zelda II.

i wanted to experience the whole series and also finished this once. But that was not fun,

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,966

Outlast 2 on insane mode used to be virtually impossible to complete I actually remember they patched it to make it easier

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,966

Overwatch that game pisses me off I've broken a TV remote over the game

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

Haven't played it since I was a kid but the Lion King game on Sega. I could never make it past I think it was the second level where you bounce off the Giraffes and rhinos. Was way too frustrating for 8 year old me and I dunno if I want to find out if it's just as frustrating for 35 year old me. πŸ˜‚

Horror games frustrate me when character only uses weapon once but then can't use it again because they drop it for no good reason because apparently your character is Betty Butterfingers. Or there's like a selection of knives on top of a counter but you can't take any of the knives - don't show me a variety of knives if I'm not allowed to use them. I know, it's part of the challenge blah blah blah but I still think it's dumb just like I think characters in horror movies doing same stuff is dumb. I stopped playing Evil Within pretty early on because I got frustrated with dude dropping knife like instantly after cutting himself down - checks for gun that's missing in holster but doesn't pick up perfectly good knife when realize guns not there? Really? After that were few more things that I was just like I need to not play this because I'm just getting frustrated at dumb stuff like not picking up knife at very beginning. πŸ™„πŸ˜‚

Twisted Metal 2 co-op story mode: Wasn't the game itself that frustrated me but that with co-op you could only play until the Amazon level. First time I found that out I was so frustrated and bummed that we couldn't play co-op to final boss. Would've been nice to be able to play whole thing co-op and then have you battle eachother at end to see who gets the ending.

Uncharted - played this not too long ago for first time. Pretty much all the games were free through ps+ so I figured I'd give them a shot. First game frustrated me so much that I don't want to play the others. The boat bits were horrible because the controls were so bad. It let's you manually save the game anytime BUT if you use those saves it doesn't bring you to where you save but instead to the last checkpoint which autosave saves anyway making manual save a waste of time. Could clear out section of enemies, save but then die from another section of enemies before next checkpoint and your manual save doesn't matter you get brought back to checkpoint and have to refight enemies you had beaten before your manual save. Bunch of the camera angles were just annoying. The final boss, whatever the combo is to defeat them was not working. I watched a video to see if maybe I was doing something wrong but was doing exact same thing video showed. Game was just being obnoxious but by that point I was so frustrated from rest of game I was like nope, I'm done, no more Uncharted games for me.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804
    edited July 2021

Monster Hunter World was frustrating at several points (Tigrex and Alatreon in particular, Tigrex especially) due to the monsters taking 50 years to kill and getting knocked off said monsters if they so much as sneezed but it wasn't that bad for the most part

Unless you're a Switch Axe player, in which case, good ######### luck

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,933

Jak 2 and Jak 3. As a child I did the first 3 or 4 missions and then I got stuck, I couldn't get any further.

Now I destroy the games like a champ.

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. I become my own entertaining YouTube playthrough when I played them. The mix of older controls, bad gameplay mechanics, and terrible luck make me so mad that I end up laughing my ass off in the end of it all.

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

When I was about that age I could beat that level on Lion King…I can’t anymore.

Did you ever play Toy Story on Mega Drive/Gensis? That one was hard. I could never get past the pizza planet level.

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

Dead Rising 1. I actually pulled a muscle in my back because I got so annoyed playing that game.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,059

I rarely get frustrated in games, most of the time it is my own mistake. Like, if I play Isaac and there is the curse active which hides the items, and I am greedy and grab one of those Items and destroy my run...

However, frustrating games:

DayZ... I tried the Standalone with a friend of mine and we were unable to find each other. On top of that, we started basically thirsty or were wounded after a few minutes, so slowly dying. It is probably a cool game, but after we played for like 4 hours without achieving anything, it was uninstalled.

I wanna be the guy is also quite frustrating, but I dont know if this is called a game. It is more like torture.

And, I got mildly frustrated in Code Vein - I played the game Solo, but it is meant to be played with an AI-Companion, and sometimes you really notice that. E.g. there is one boss near the Endgame, Blade Bearer and Cannoneer... Basically Ornstein&Smough in Weeb Souls, and I got so annoyed that I grabbed an AI-Companion for this fight after hours of trying.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,681

Funnily enough, the most frustrating thing about Code Vein for me was actually the AI, they could not shut up, so I stopped using companions (I found out later you could mute them in the options).

I have to agree with your Isaac take, though, nothing frustrates me more in that game than my own greed and stupidity!

Congrats on beating Valfaris, I enjoyed that game a lot when it came out, challenging, but fun, and the score is great!

I usually don't get too frustrated in games, but one thing that probably frustrated me a lot was Pantheon 5 in Hollow Knight...

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Cheers. The bosses on Valfaris were really challenging. That last boss...I should really start legal action for the stress caused πŸ˜„

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,681

That boss was something else, luckily the music bopping in the background made me go through it without completely losing my mind.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

I was terrible at video games as a kid, wasn't until like college I stopped sucking. πŸ˜‚ I am still terrible at jumping in games. When I played Destiny 2 my husband would take my controller to get me past large jumping sections because he'd get frustrated from watching me be so terrible at it. Rest of game I was fine but those jumping sections I would get stuck on for ridiculously long time. πŸ˜‚

Never played the Toy Story game - by the time that came out my brother was in college and since it was his sega he brought it with him. When he'd bring it home during his breaks I was happy to play the games we already had since I never got far anyway.