How to deal with being camped or tunneled?

Options
ukenicky
ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Lately it happens in every single match and I just don't want to play anymore. Solo queue or with friends it's so unfun and to everyone who says "Well just play killer", I do and I can only do that so many matches before I don't have fun anymore because that gets lonely lol

To those who say "Get good lol" I can't when I'm found first and get downed and then camped the whole match. That's what really gets me down is I can't even practice getting better at looping. This happens 9/10 matches in Red, Purple and Green ranks (I'm purple myself).

I guess this is just a rant but idk. How do some of you deal with it? Is it smart to DC or ######### on hook? Usually when I give up I close the game and play something else because it's just not fun and that's not even to mention the amount of incredible toxicity I put up with on both sides. It's also why I go weeks without playing this game at times because it's more upsetting than it is fun.

I just don't get it.

Comments

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2021
    Options

You can't really. Best thing you can hope for is getting saved by BT 2X and run DS. That's the "optimal" way of dealing with it. If you're confident in your looping & hiding skills you can try out things like Lucky Break + Iron Will. You should also always be running an exhaustion perk to help you out(Sprint Burst/Lithe/Dead Hard are probably the safest bets with BL having issues with being near a ledge in chase sometimes).

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,097
    Options

I know you don't want to be told to git gud, but really, the best thing to do is learn how to loop properly. There are videos on YouTube that can teach you. It's more than just running in circles. If you learn how to do it properly, you can potentially waste enough time for all the gens to pop. Run DS and Sprint Burst to give yourself distance and time to get to another loop. The better you know how to loop and mind game the killer, the less desirable it will be for the killer to chase you.

Also, don't be the first person to get caught. When the match starts, find some los blockers near a gen and wait for the killer to patrol and leave before you start repairing. Play with Spine Chill so you know the moment the killer is coming for you and sneak away.

Finally, tunneling isn't toxic. It isn't fun at the receiving end, but most of the time, it is the best choice for the killer, especially if you're not good at looping. The faster they get you out of the match, the more pressure they have on the generators. With the current meta, most killers don't have much of a choice, since by the time they find their fist target, play ring around a rosie with a pallet and then get led to The House of Pain or the Cow Tree and finally get a down, 3 gens will pop. Whats the best way to apply pressure when two gens are left? Get rid of someone asap. It sucks, but it isn't toxic and you shouldn't take your anger out at the killer. The responsibility lies upon the developers to make the game fun and balanced for all, not the players. If you can't accept that it is a fundamental part of the current game, then yes, perhaps this game isn't for you.

• ImBrakingBike
    ImBrakingBike Member Posts: 454
    Options

There's not much you can do about it, sadly. If you keep getting found first I recommend you try to stick to some teammate at the start of the match and hope they are more experienced to show you how to stealth around the map or maybe they are good loopers and willingly take the killer for a chase. Other than that, maybe running the usual perks like DS if you get insta downed after being unhooked and Unbreakable

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

I get all that it's just when it happens at 5 gens it feels hopeless at times. I know that camping, tunneling and slugging are valid tactics it just stings when they happen at the start of a match and one person gets denied playing the game.

Like it's nice that you don't have to worry about that when playing as killer which is one of the reasons I have fun playing as killer like even if I get trounced I can at least say I had most of the match to get better at loops and finding/chasing survivors.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567
    Options

Run DS, your teammates need BT and they need to help and take protection hits or even go down for you. And don't start to heal under the hook, just get the f*ck out. Also if you see the killer just start running immediately, don't let yourself be an easy target. Also if they unhook you, and I don't see anyone and only hear your injured sound behind the wall, you will get chased. So teammates have the most important role in avoiding tunnel, you alone can't do that much.

I played a bit killer and without some tunnel it is pretty hard, especially against red rank SWFs.

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,257
    Options

I'm afraid the game is changing for the worse as the days go by. more and more people are using camping and tunneling as the way to play.

There is nothing to do but use perks that helps you personally.

It can be Sprint Burst, Lucky Break, Spine Chill...

When i play with one friend, i still feel tension and nerves towards how the killer chooses to play and how the other solo survivors are dealing with it. personally i prefer to play with at least 2 friends to make the game less stressful.

There is a chance that one day we will all stop playing this game because of how the game has become.

I hope the developers will not underestimate this matter if the game will go down the drain because of this boring game "tactic".

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hey there, first off I just wanna say I totally understand where you are coming from. Being camped throughout a match is one thing, but being camped where it feels like every single match it is happening, it's very different. Not many people understand that because many people don't play your side, so it's much easier for them to not be affected by it. I won't tell you to 'git gud', that is a lame way of saying "sorry about your luck". Clearly someone who has no intention of helping.

In my experience (at 5.8k hrs) in this game, I have found that in order for you to get out of a Camping situation, you have to have a team where at least 2 people are constantly on generators, and the person doing the save needs to be able to take some of the aggro. Because at that point if the killer continues to only chase you, they are gonna need more time out of you, meaning you're going to be responsible for basically running that killer throughout the entirety of the match. They no longer want to "play" the game nor interested in winning. They only want you out.

I would say definitely bring DS and understand where you can put the perk to use while running it. Most people think that by simply running it, it will be enough. If the killer is just there to down you immediately, they will slug you and it will be the equivalent of you being on a hook and not on a generator. So in essence, they don't really lose much. What you can do as a survivor is make sure that where you go down is nearby a locker, so if they come back you can waste their time while you're in the locker. If it's the last generator, make sure you go down nearby an exit gate, this basically will ensure that you get out safely if the door is ready.

A lot of what you do will depend on the type of killer you are facing, so obviously if it's a Bubba (for example) a lot depends on your team's ability to get his attention and understanding that without BT you cannot even trade. Also, same goes for perks. Even if it's a Trapper or a Wraith (someone who cannot one-shot) and they have STBFL and are stacked to max, they will not be able to even take another hit before they pull you.... SO what they have to do is then take the hit away from the hook and then save you.

All in all, understand that many people who flat out camp are doing it solely because they are just that bad at the game. Not everyone, but many are. So their first course of action is "Let me stand here and force someone to come to me instead of me pressuring gens and preventing them from escaping". They actually lose points in the Chaser emblem category, and since emblems determine whether you pip or not.... not to mention if you're not defending gens, getting enough hooks, injuring other survivors, those other emblems will inevitably take a hit as well.

Anyway, I didn't cover everything because there is so much that goes into it, but I hope this helps! :)

• KweenPlease
    KweenPlease Member Posts: 305
    Options

I'm going to be frank with you.

Other people are going to tell you there is a defense for getting camped or tunneled.

There isn't. DS has been nerfed and is sort of situational, killers no better than to take the bait after they down you they wait it out. So it's essentially just buying you time, but time where you get to do nothing but sit on the floor.

Borrowed time protects who you get off hook, but not whoever gets the person off hook. If they're TRULY face-camping there is no defense to this because someone will just take that spot on hook AT BEST. The likelihood is it will end in two people being on hook because they'll just GRAB whoever is intending to go for the save, put them down in front of hook and continue face camping you. You - can't - block - a - grab.

Other people will say " try and bait " , baiting doesn't work on a freaking face-camper 9/10.

Your best bet is to become more evasive and self aware of your surroundings. Get ruin off the field ASAP. Creep around doing totems.. You MIGHT be getting found due to scratch marks so Nancy's perk " FIXATED " can assist you in that and will help you WALK faster. You should also try hugging the edges of things while looping around SMALLER loops around pallets. Things that aren't OBVIOUS loops like the " jungle-gyms " and learn to keep an eye on the killer while doing so in case they try to turn around. MILK the pallets for as long as you can.

My personal trick I like to do SOMETIMES is slipping a few walls behind if you've got a head-start and using Adam's " Diversion " by tossing it toward where you know lockers are at. He will LIKELY follow those scratchmarks and go to those lockers and open probably more than one of them + the time it takes him to get there. Giving you ample time to flee. If you're toxic you can also pair doing this with dropping a bomb behind them while they open said lockers but it's probably above your skill level for the moment.

Hug corners and use every wall as an opportunity to peek around before you slip out. You're trying to avoid chase as much as you can. Believe it or not avoiding chase will help you with mind games and ending chases.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    Options

Facecamping, or camping and tunneling at 4-5 gens is a "valid" tactic only in the way that it's technically not against the rules. It's a really poor way to to play though, shows a lack of sportsmanship, and makes the game nothing but a tedious exercise in frustration. It's been really bad in all ranks, though it gets a wee bit better in red ranks because by then, most people have dealt with so many campers that they have experience extracting a team mate from the hook regardless and the camping doesn't pay off as much.

. The thing a lot of people won't tell you is that by the time a Killer gets to purple ranks, if he's hard-camping at 4-5 gens? A lot of these guys are doing it on purpose. They know it's considered a crap tactic but they simply don't care about anyone else. The result in my experience is usually a pile of disconnects and first hook suicides. I honestly don't know what these type of Killers get out of a match like that, because the points aren't that great. I mean if 2 people disconnect on first hook, next guy suicides, last guy gets the hatch (maybe). How is that entertaining in anyway? In the end I feel a lot of them are doing it to grief the game b/c they're immature.

Unfortunately if you're playing Solo Q, there's not too much you can do as you're at the mercy of your team and their skills/perks. As others have stated above, there are a few perks many survivors find necessary to run at all times; Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike. A lot of Killers who are fixated on tunneling will chase you through Borrowed Time, even after they've eaten DS, but you can equip other perks in the remaining slots that might give you a shot at getting away (as others have suggested; Iron Will and Lucky Break).

There's been a lot of great suggestions about initially avoiding the Killer, such as falling back and laying low as they do their initial patrol. There's a build I had luck with originally to practice getting away; Quick and Quiet, Come Dance With Me, Iron Will, Lithe + Med kit if possible. Whenever your working on a generator, plot your course of action should the Killer appear. Take note of what you have to work with (pallets and such). With Quick and Quiet, the Killer gets no notification when you hop thru a window. Lithe pops and you get a speed burst, and CDWM makes it so you leave no scratch marks. You can basically disappear in a hurry if you play your cards right. Another one that's helpful is Windows of Opportunity.

Godspeed lol.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,989
    Options

These things have less to do with perks and gameplay and more with the community mindset. I've recently tried one DbD clone, where there were more ways to counter camping than in DbD, and, unlike in DbD, every single killer camps there, because it's become acceptable in that community. Sounds paradoxical, but it's how it works. There more accepted and justified camping becomes in the playerbase - the more campers you will encounter, since the game will never punish for this directly. Campers won't care about emblems and 4k's, they will be happy to derank to play against weaker opponents who don't know how to counter camping. Most campers play just to ruin the game for one or two camped survivors, so one salty player is enough of a win for them. Therefore there is nothing you can do as a solo survivor: if you don't have a sweat squad among your friends, don't like this soloQ hell and don't like playing killer - you probably just don't like DbD in general, you'd be better off not bothering with this game at all since it's not going to become better. The "camping meta" is like a disease and it's spreading fast.

• Msterflex
    Msterflex Member Posts: 126
    Options

Are you using flashlights with powerful add ons to stun killers outta of kills or bringing keys? I tunneling and camp those guys outta games. I do what I gotta do cause they’re a huge threat so be a good player if you’re gonna draw their attention with those items and gameplay

• Aquamarine
    Aquamarine Member Posts: 207
    Options

Very little you can do about it. Well of course if you were really good, the killer wouldn't catch you or wasn't that eager to hunt you down again, but obviously you can't "git gud" just like that, it takes time.

My advice is to start to play stealthy to make sure you are not the first one who gets caught. Someone gets tunneled, but it's not you. it's way easier than magically get good at looping

Spine chill, Iron Will, Lucky Break and Sprint Burst. The killer probably decides to chase someone else.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709
    Options

Avoid being caught first each game? Use spine chill can help with that.

Have some teamwork to save and rescue the one on the hook?

Practice is the only way to get better! By stopping to play the game, you won't become better.

The opponents are not going to make your time easier and it is unreasonable to expect that! Survivors don't slow down or give away free hits and consider the fun of the killer, just as the killer isn't expected to consider the fun of the survivors. Look at your teammates who are on the same side as you you to slam gens, take agro, etc.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

I think people have said this for years, that camping and tunneling is getting worse every day. It's simply not true because if it was then all games would be camping and tunneling now. I don't know why people continue to say this it's just as rare as 2 years ago. If I play 10 games today I would be surprised if any killer camps that is not what I see when playing.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

Well, if you give up while on the hook you just encourage this behaviour in the next game, because the killer not only got you save, he got you also fast, so he can go on after the next survivor, making it not only a viable, but a good strategy.

If you just hang on and maximize your time on the hook, the killer will most likly only get that one kill, and if it happens often enough to him, might decide another strategy is more promising.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203
    Options

I'm always surprised about the players who are camped every single game. I think we remember well the one game we had bad luck, and less the one which was OK.

I'm Purple/Red, and camping is actually rare. Tunneling happens more often, but not each game.

Camping often happens when it's a Bubba doing a meme build. I had one who was very fun. He caught everyone in the basement and I felt like I had to join. I apologize in the end because I was late to the party. Bubba forgave me.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,232
    Options

This a joke post or what? Keys I can understand since they all look the same but flashlight users are basically free hits if you can bait them in. Run agitation or lightborn if you're that worried when you can face a wall.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

People will give you tips or useless advice like “get better”, but the reality is that there’s not a lot you can do. Even really good survivors get camped to death. If the killer wants you dead, they’re probably going to make it happen unless you’re playing in a SWF with comms.

You’re dependent on your teammates knowing how to pull off a save, and you’re dependent on them having BT. You’re dependent on favourable RNG - if you get unhooked in a dead zone or the basement, it won’t be difficult for the killer to catch you again. Most people in solo queue won’t take a hit or a hook state for you, and half the time they’ll either get grabbed trying to unhook you, or they’ll take too long getting the unhook and only grab you when you’ve already hit second, in which case you’re basically dead already.

There’s a reason camping and tunnelling are a “viable strategy” and it’s because they work with little effort in the vast majority of matches. If they didn’t work, people wouldn’t do it. So you just have to accept it as a part of the game, or know to take breaks when it starts bothering you.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    edited August 2021
    Options

I disagree. I see campers/tunnelers constantly. And no, I don't have very loose definition of it. I've taken note that the frequency increases at certain times of the evening. So if I'm off work and play a few matches during the day? Maybe only once every 4 matches. After 8pm? I'm almost surprised when I have a normal match. If the Killer is Wraith, Bubba, Ghostface or Myers - it's almost guaranteed camping. Tunneling is downright common.

Maybe you're just lucky or I'm unlucky.