Do you feel pressured to play certain perks?

To win necessarily?

On killer I feel I need at least one gen regression perk regardless of the build.

As survivor I feel I need to use an exhaustion perk regardless of the build

Comments

• Specifically

I need bamboozle on legion if i am not running double fatigue add-ons, because their vault is bugged and bamboozle compensates for it.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167
    edited September 2021

For killer yeah, I feel like some form of gen defense is needed. Not 100% always necessary on all killers but in 90% of matches it is likely needed.

For survivor, I like to challenge myself to play without the typical meta perks. Mostly out of trying to make myself better since after a while I feel like it becomes less about my skill at running the killer and more about how I use those perks. I do end up returning to use perks like Dead Hard and Decisive because with MMR sometimes it feels like without them if you make one mistake - you are done for the rest of the game.

When I'm trying to do better without those perks, I typically run perks that assist me - Window of Oppertunity is the main perk my practice build is centered around as I use it to understand the areas around me and avoid going down in 2 seconds to dead zones.

• Hippie
    Hippie Member Posts: 1,003

NO! I've played enough feeling pressured to take certain perks that I've quit completely! I run what I want and enjoy my games no matter the outcome. Even with me getting slugged most games so the Killer can fulfill their 4k Fantasy, or with gens popping because the map we went to is too big for me as Killer, I use what I want because I want to have FUN!!!

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633

Depend on the time of the day during the day i never feel like i need a certain perk during the night i feel like i need 2 or 3 gen regressing perk that for killer

For survivor i never felt like i need certain perk unless its night time then i feel like i need dead hard the rest i dont care what it is.

• latinfla4
    latinfla4 Member Posts: 2,119

Probably the best info perk for survivors overall🙂

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

I feel I need DS in most of my solo matches due to farming without BT

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804
    edited September 2021

Borrowed time. Whenever I play with my friends they pressure me into using borrowed time or they get absolutely tilted. So far as every single time they get camped on hook or they get unsafely unhooked reminding me 'IF YOU HAD BORROWED TIME I WOULD HAVE SURVIVED!'

After getting yelled at enough times for NOT having Borrowed Time I just decided it's easier to have one perk slot dedicated to not have anymore drama.

Annoyingly enough they do not also have Borrowed Time 100% of the time.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015
    edited September 2021

For solo queue survivor: Yes, DS must be stapled to my build because of the every-now-and-then farming and tunneling.

For SWF: Same answer if we're talking 2-3 man SWF. In a 4-man SWF I pretty much have freedom for using any perk to have fun, so no if that's the case. However BT is still a very necessary perk for SWF.

For killer: Also yes. Gens will get slammed if I don't bring at least one regression perk (usually PGTW, Surge, or both).

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Yea... On killers (the ones that I do play)

I feel like I need an entire build or specific perks when I'm in match... please give Killers 5 perk slots (that's all I ask)

Yea... On survivors I feel off by not running Kindred and Spine Chill

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Basically gen perks. If you don't run gen perks, you're asking to lose because theres not enough time in the game to go through 24 health states and 12 hooks.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

I agree, Kindred is also another underplayed solo survivor perk.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

Yeah ever game I have to run Diversion to at least win

• Nomadd
    Nomadd Member Posts: 167

No, I sincerely don't care. I play for fun, so I try fun perks, fun builds, even if they don't give me a 'win'.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

Nope, I'm bad no matter what role or perks I play.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

I play almost exclusively Solo queue, and I can't go into a match without Borrowed Time and Decisive. The tunneling is neverending and every time I've tried to equip something in their place I've regretted it.

I always have Iron Will too. I know a lot of people consider it to be Meta and assume everyone who runs it is being sweatypr strategic etc. But I use it because I main Bill. Have you heard him when he's injured? He has the worst smoker's cough and his gasps sound like his rib cage is rattling in his heaving chest. Bill could be an anti-smoking ad.

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245

Nope.

• MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147

Yes, Gen Slowdown in any form is needed and WGLF/BBQ are needed because Bloodpoints are a joke normally.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

As killer, I feel pressured to use gen slow down. When i don't use gen slow down perks, I get a match where it's just survivors slamming gens and leaving. I've been trying to use builds without gen slow down, because survivors don't like gen slow down perks, but then what am I left with? Having to slug, tunnel, or camp. It sucks, because it takes creativity away from trying new builds, since games simply don't last long enough on their own.

As survivor, I never felt the need for any specific perks. Some of the most fun I've had as survivor is going in with no perks and managing to escape. It's a thrill. But, I do love bringing bond/open handed.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

BBQ/WGLF = for BP

Exhaustion perk = must have on survivor

Slowdown perk(s) = must have on killer

Unbreakable = must have for anti slug

DS = must have for help against being tunneled

BT = must have for helping teammates not be tunneled

Kindred = must have for solo queue awareness/combating extreme camping

• gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545

Survivor - I feel rude not running BT

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    edited September 2021

As survivor, healing perks. I'm always running Botany with Desperate Measures, and I feel like I'm wasting my team's time if I heal at default speed

As killer, Pop is mandatory

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

I feel like if I don't bring Borrowed Time, there's gonna be at least one more death every game.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Borrowed is the only one I will bring when playing with other people. Otherwise I run Slippery.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Most non meta killer perks don't do anything. Or they are so restricted that you only get one or 2 uses of it per match for little payoff.

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674

On survivor i run whatever because I've seen people run no perks and be just fine by playing smart.

On killer i hate that i have to run slow down just to have some semblance of a normal game.

• akanadi
    akanadi Member Posts: 242

yea the perks i get just forced to use DS because every match usually ends with me being tunneled

• latinfla4
    latinfla4 Member Posts: 2,119

Yeah even the achievement for escaping doing one gen and not running perks is easier than some killer adepts🤣

But then it is 16 perks or 12 in that case versus 4

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789
    edited September 2021

Without a doubt BBQ. Blood points just aren't keeping up with the ever-growing grind's inflation.

• Danielgdp3
    Danielgdp3 Member Posts: 452

For Killer I feel I need to have Corrupt on to win, just gives me a easier time early match to get that first hook.

As Survivor I don't feel the need to use certain perks to 'win' but Spine Chill definitely makes the game less stressful haha. The game is more exciting without it for sure but I tend to notice a decline in escapes when I don't use it.

• fitch
    fitch Member Posts: 143

My killers perks must have ruin.

Survivor like mouse hidding and secretly rush gen.

Is this rush gen Emulator??

• Artemisha
    Artemisha Member Posts: 401

On solo surv, DS is mandatory. Majority of games is gonna be triggered. I also like wearing an exhaustion perk and selfcare.

As killer, although I just play Huntress and Piggy, Corrupt Intervention and ruin. I don't play sweat all game. Usually when I'm on a strong possition in game I start playing suboptimal or meme with survs. But without gen perk regression I'd just be gen rushed and stomped.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

I always feel like I need BT on survivor and Corrupt on Killer.

• Laurie268
    Laurie268 Member Posts: 573

As survivor: DS, DH, IW for higher chance of survival

as killer: BBQ, Corrupt, Pop unless I want all gens to get done in 3 mins

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 774

I did at the beginning, but now that I know the game a bit better, and with MMR, I run whatever I want.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

As survivor? Not a bit.

As killer? Depends on the killer but, yes, definitely. Certain killers have to have gen stopping perks to have a chance unless you intend to slug a lug all game.

• Axx
    Axx Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2021

You 100% have to use gen slowdown perks as killer if you want a chance vs the decent teams will eventually face. I personally use CI and PGTW.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Yes because playing anyone other than top tier killers without meta perks is a death sentence.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

BBQ for BP on every single killer. Its kinda annoying to limit your builds but what can you do if you need BP?

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,109

Killers have been conditioned to play around or respect BT and DS, so you don't even have to run those perks to get their benefit, because the killer doesn't want to risk you having those perks or they get mega punished. So that's the survivor perspective; you can use whatever you want. Autodidact, Premonition, Self-Care, you name it.

For killer, you almost always have to run 4 gen defence perks, because the gens are too quick. A 30-second chase puts you on the back foot for the rest of the game, and a 1-minute chase is a guaranteed loss. We're talking about versing survivors who actually do gens, mind you. You can do amazing in chase, and bring in 4 chase perks to help you and cut the chases a little bit shorter, but it's all for naught because the gens got done in 4 minutes. Gen defence on the other hand gives you a fighting chance at least. If you can cut chases short and get back to pressuring the gens real quick, Pop and Ruin will allow you to regress gens, even though survivors can play around that by finishing gens before you can Pop/Ruin them. Some people say you just need Corrupt for gen defence, but I don't buy it. You need that perk on top of other gen defence perks so that you don't get out-genned all the time.

• Duskk
    Duskk Member Posts: 92

I feel if I do not run Ruin/Undying or Ruin/Pop I will get dominated. I feel very pressured. Legion is a sad killer and I need this heavy gen defense to stand a chance.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Killer - Corrupt Intervention.

Survivor - BT, Kindred.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

As most killers I feel kinda pressured into running at least PGTW or Ruin. Some don't have enough map mobility (or I'm very bad at) so I use the Corrupt/Pop core. As Nurse I just say ######### it and use Haunted/Agitation/Starstruck/BBQ.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

Lately I've felt pressured to use Spinechill. Just because Wraith's are common and I really dislike being hit for "free" as I can't see the Wraith approaching, particularly on in-door maps.

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

No, i've lost so much interest in the game that i can't keep up with unlocking perks; let alone getting them on all killers/survivors.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Definitely. Between tool boxes, brand new parts, and perks like prove thyself, you need regression perks for killers otherwise matches will end in less than 5 minutes. I would love nothing more than to use fun builds, but sadly I fall back to the same build time and time again because generator speeds are not properly balanced. If a killer doesn't have map pressure, then there's little they can do to stop generators, especially when you're going up against SWF.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Prove thyself cause I love the concept of genrushing.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

Well yes, I feel pressure to play certain perks. Perks that are fitting fot the character and make a fun experience for me.

As a survivor I like to use at least 1 personal perk from the survivor. Most times I run 1 exhaustion perk too, because I think that Balance Landing and Sprintburst are a good way to make distance and are fitting for my characters.

As a Killer I need a feeling for the perk. Running Michael Myers with a Hex: Ruin would be something that can ruin my mood. Running him with Enduring to empathise his physical abnormality is way better. Using Pop on Ghostface is meh for me because Ghostface is not physicaly strong, however Hillbilly can kick a generator into the next dimension with his brute force.

The pinnacle of this so far is Pinhead. I run him with just his personal perks and Hex: Thrill of the Hunt. It works fine and feels fresh to use him in such a way.