What would be a good nickname for Jason Voorhees?

D34D_B34TB0X
D34D_B34TB0X Member Posts: 410
edited July 4 in Polls

The lawsuit has ended. There's still some things that have to be worked out so that Jason can get back on the big screen.

What would be a good nickname for Jason Voorhees? 47 votes

The Slasher
46%
GibberishVolantConch1719TapeKnotpizzaduffyhp90Dr_LoomisCornpopers_EvanCritical_FishSloppyJalopyAwkward_FiendFobboBrokenbonesNoOneKnowsNovaJarolDwightFairfieldGuiltiiD4M4VR1CKLord_MallardTricksters_WifeBruce_AlvaEmerald_Doctor 22 votes
The Brute
2%
[Deleted User] 1 vote
The Maniac
2%
Sustina 1 vote
The Mercenary
0%
The Momma's Boy
8%
landromatGrashnaborasglitchboiHighwayCatalyst 4 votes
The Lawsuit
12%
musstang62ShapedHaunterofShadowsFoxy_TeltacTr1nityUssu 6 votes
The Psychopath
2%
[Deleted User] 1 vote
The Camper
14%
ZerLukas[Deleted User]ThePoliceDhurl421SOMENINJANAMEGazgemauchMrCalac123 7 votes
The Hunter
2%
darkcloudlink 1 vote
The Woodsman
8%
Seiko300CluelesssteponmeadirisSadHoiPoi 4 votes
Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985
    The Slasher

Maybe he doesn't have a nickname and they call him Jason, like Nemesis and Ghostface.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    The Slasher

It's a tricky one.

Freddy's moniker in the Nightmare series is the "Springwood Slasher".

But when you think of the slasher genre, you think of the iconic mask of Jason.

Someone once said, on here maybe, that "The Drowned" would be a good idea. Thing is, Jason didn't drown and the whole Pamela/Young Jason plot could be difficult in regards to the remaining lawsuit red tape.

Maybe have Jason's nickname as "The Mask". That way you don't have to concentrate on his origins and just focus on the masked serial killer. If put in to DBD, Jason's backstory could be glossed over to not include certain elements.

It's like Ghostface: he's hasn't got the Scream logo strapped to his chapter...but we know he's him.

Jason's backstory could be brief, detailing how he had to fend for himself in the wilderness, hiding his deformed face behind under a sack, but his appetite for murder led him to be one of the infamous serial killers in history etc. It can be all very vague.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    The Woodsman

I think "The Woodsman" is actually an incredibly unique and provoking name- and I'm disappointed that more people didn't vote for it.

Although I get it conjures up images of a crazed lumberjack, I think it's still aptly fitting enough. Jason literally lives in the woods around camp crystal lake killing camp counselors and anyone foolish enough to wander in and encroach on the hallowed grounds where he drowned.

The Slasher is such a generic name you would skip right over it on a list of the killers in DBD, and it really doesn't hold up over more creative titles like "The Shape" and "The Nightmare" or "The Executioner" and so I hope that wouldn't be the real pick.

The Slasher reminds me of that Janitor killer from Last Year: The Nightmare who is their mascot killer that goes by the exact same name. So there's also that.

• Ussu
    Ussu Member Posts: 177
    The Lawsuit

The lawsuit. Probably the real reason camp crystal lake closed down.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
    The Momma's Boy

The Son

• Clueless
    Clueless Member Posts: 340
    The Woodsman

I could see something like The Drowned or The Hermit.

• MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147
    The Camper

The Camper is the most fitting, Jason and Crystal Lake go hand in hand.

• D4M4VR1CK
    D4M4VR1CK Member Posts: 58
    The Slasher

But generic is sometimes good. For a killer that started a slasher genre it would make sense you would name him after something he’s associated with like naming Freddy Kruger “the nightmare” because he kills you in his dreams and it makes sense. “The woodsman” sounds cool don’t get me wrong, but you don’t think of Jason with that name. If I told someone the name “the woodsmen” and they would probably would have no idea who I was talking about even if I told them the person came from a horror movie, but if I told you the name “the slasher” instead, one of the first people you think about is Jason. You don’t want a name that no one recognizes, you want the name that people that don’t even play the game realize who they’re talking about.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    The Woodsman

Except Jason didn't start the slasher genre- Jason Voorhees wasn't even a real character until Friday the 13th part 2 released in 1981, and the iconic version of Jason sporting his iconic Hockey Mask that everybody thinks of didn't come until a year after that in 1982 when Part 3 released.

At the very minimum John Carpenter's Halloween came four years before that in 1978 which introduces the strong silent type of killers who murder violently without uttering a sound.

But generally speaking there's a large crowd who believe that Black Christmas was the first authentic slasher film which started the slasher genre- and that was in 1974 four years before Halloween. Coincidentally, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre film also released that same year in 1974- and we see Leatherface cutting up bodies with a chainsaw.

But even before THAT you could say fourteen years prior- Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho came out in 1960, with the iconic scene where Marion Crane gets stabbed to death in the shower!!

Long story short, it's an egregious offense to say that Voorhees "started [the] slasher genre" because that's very far from the truth- so if that's your reason then all the more reason to believe Jason Voorhees is even less deserving of such a moniker.

Although of course at the end of the day it's a squabble over words and I still get what you mean- had you used the word "popularized" I wouldn't have gone on a tangent.

That being said I think generic in nearly every context is a bad thing, but most especially within the context of Dead By Daylight. It's a game of slasher killers, and it's important to make them distinct from each other- "the slasher" can literally apply to half of them and I think Jason deserves better than (imo) a half-assed name like that.

• D34D_B34TB0X
    D34D_B34TB0X Member Posts: 410
    edited October 2021

Seems to be going good! A the most voted name right now is "The Slasher" at 42%, with the least voted being "The Mercenary" at 0%. I guess when people think of a "Slasher", they think of Jason. I definitely got some "The Lawsuit" votes... lol. Thanks for viewing.

• HighwayCatalyst
    HighwayCatalyst Member Posts: 378
    The Momma's Boy

I was thinking more of something like 'The Child', but I saw someone comment 'The Son' and that's good too.

This discussion has been closed.