Are map / realm choice given to players random?

Options

I've noticed a weird phenomena where I would end up with the same map twice in a row (or within a few matches) as killer when playing several games in a row when otherwise I might rarely get those maps. Though it is inevitable to happen sometimes, the frequency makes me wonder if map choice is truly random.

Ways that maps could be given to players:

• Completely random.
  • Weighted randomly against maps that any player in the que played recently.
  • A certain ratio of games played across all players (likely within a region) must be played on certain maps. Players will then be semi-randomly assigned maps to maintain this ration.

The last possibility would explain the double ups, since the moment you finish a map as killer there is now an opening required to be filled. If you immediately re-que then there is a chance you will fill that gap, thus getting the same map / realm.

Could just be the first possibility though with me just being more conscious of double-ups, thus believing their is some pattern instead of truly random.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Yes, it's random (unless offerings are used, of course). The human brain just looks for patterns everywhere and sees them even in purely random data, since it can't really understand randomness.