Forgive me, but may we have an answer about the NFTs?

2»

Comments

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Therefore it has nothing to do with BHVR (in-game stuff) so BHVR doesn’t need to confirm anything.

• cannonballB
    cannonballB Member Posts: 387
    edited October 2021

I was completely agreeing with what you said in every aspect. I'm not sure how you can take what I said otherwise, but no, I completely agree with you. My point was to say that the die-hard fans will apologize or explain away for BHVR no matter what happens and they will not listen to your logic. That's all.

The fact that their models are being used however license holders want and BHVR allows that in their contracts says that BHVR is at least accepting of the situation. I find it very hard to understand why any company would allow their work, even if licensed from another entity (no pun intended), to be used for things that could be viewed as ethically wrong. It slightly stuns me to be honest. If nothing else, you'd think they'd have a clause that would require them to have a say in how the models are used. That also begs the question, is that true for all of their (licensed) models. For example, could the Stranger Things license holders be able to use those assets in their own games?

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

For example, could the Stranger Things license holders be able to use those assets in their own games?

Short answer, yes.

Demo, Nancy, Steve models (likeness) are the property of the IP owner. BHVR cannot own that property. It is instead licensed to them by the owner.

• cannonballB
    edited October 2021

I only half believe that. Having worked in companies and knowing how companies are protective about their work, even licensed, I would be surprised by any company allowing their work being used in other ways unless they were getting kickbacks from it.

Even if you create a derivative work, that work is still yours, by copyright laws. You share those rights with the original owner of the IP. So BHVR has the right to say what happens to their works, based on copyright laws and can (and other companies HAVE) sue because they don't want their work (even derivative) to be used for purposes that would shed a bad light on the company.

As a derivative work, based on copyright law, BHVR has the right to authorize or deny the use of their work in other places. They must allow in their contract that these works can be used elsewhere. Unless they are completely braindead to how copyright law works.

I don't think BHVR is shady here, but I also don't think BHVR is disapproving of their work being used this way.

Edit - to see what I mean when I talk about derivative work, look up Cariou V Prince, or look up Richard Price Instagram. These aren't the exact same as this, but they show how, if someone creates a derivative work, they retain the copyright to that derivative work along with the original IP holder.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

BHVR more than likely signed what they could to get the license. By their statement it seems to be the case.

The fact this NFT advertisement used Dead by Daylight by name is an issue BHVR didn't address.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

Not to make any accusations, but:

Would anyone be genuinely surprised if the 'company' that made that crap turns out to be run by the current license holders to milk as much money out of the license while they still have it?

And if that is the case, wouldn't that be money laundering and taxevasion? I don't think they are rich enough to not be on the, what is it, IRS? radar?

• cannonballB
    edited October 2021

I kind of think they get kickbacks but I have no proof of that other than them not disavowing it. If I were BHVR, I'd tell them I want kickbacks LOL If I can't stop them from using my work, might as well get a buck out of it.

I also think that a company is a company. All companies are out to make profit, so I guess it just surprises me that anyone would think BHVR wouldn't be involved. They want profit just as much as any other company, especially one that's gotten as big as BHVR has, AND has shown they care more about profits for the most part than their game.

• cannonballB

The people making the NFT are the same people that make the Evil Dead game, and a few other things. Tim Hesse works for both Boss Protocol, Boss Team Games, and also Diversion3, which was involved in making the F13 game. Take from that information what you will.

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

Basically it sounds like from their tweet that the license holders sold the stuff dbd gave them in exchange for the license to a company that makes these nft's for even more money. Behavior may or may not have known about this beforehand and may have received some money as well, but we will likely never know for sure. I suspect they did cause if not then them directly referencing dbd could be grounds for suit and behavior would likely call them out rather then act like they can't say much, but there is no proof.

Goes to show all the people that thought this was the end of the world or a complete scam are both at least partially wrong.

The weirdest thing is the voicelines that were added then removed, which might still be a bug as far as I'm aware.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    edited October 2021

Ah, I'm sincerely sorry for lashing out at you! It's sometimes hard to separate general agreement with sarcasm. I am so sorry, it can get difficult.

While it does seem like they are complacent, it's really out of their control. I can't blame them for the response that they give, that's pretty much all they can say. The license holders truly held Bhvr by the neck with these agreements and Bhvr gets thrown under the bus because of it

• cannonballB

All good! Trust me, I get it. Just by discussing these NFTs and trying to make factual statements, people think I'm defending NFTs. I'm not, they're horrible for the environment. I just know how companies work. I agree with you 100% here as well. <3

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

Now it does since they mentioned it. Which was the ultimate goal of this post

• MeltingPenguins

From what I understood Boss Team Games and Boss Protocol ARE NOT related. the latter just stole the former's logo to appear legitimate.

• cannonballB

I took most of that info from their FAQ

Is Boss Protocol related to Boss Team Games?

Boss Protocol and Boss Team Games are completely different companies but do work closely together (and share a logo!). Boss Team Games is a games publisher and Boss Protocol is focused on creating NFTs that provide additional access to content and other redemptions. There are multiple reasons it was set up this way (licensing and other) but there should be no confusion that the two companies share an address and some common goals.

There's actually nothing that indicates that they are separate, and with the same person working for all 3, I have a hard time believing one "stole" from the other.

• MeltingPenguins
    edited October 2021

well, here's the thing: they apparently changed the faq AFTER the uproar concerning dbd, so... I'd take everything in there with a pillar of salt. These people are scammers, and you expect them to be truthful?

edit: that said, we still got a number of fogwhisperers promoting this kinda crap. which isn't a good look either

Post edited by MeltingPenguins on